DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

night flight.. need your feedback please

What u did there is instane drone confiscation and fine material. Please dont fly your drone at night. Its against the law
That is incorrect for recreational fliers. Commercially certified pilots cannot, unless they have a waiver, if I'm not mistaken. Please don't scold people. Period. If you have a point to make, try to be a little more friendly about it. Politeness is good!

I don't think thats true. It says No Person Shall fly at night. Pretty straight forward to me.
In the post of the law firm ad, it even says: Helping businesses.......
If you do a google search, or look on the FAA site, you will see that this is a commercial, part 107 reg. It does not apply to hobby flying.

Reactions: Humanparody
But you need to be in compliance with part 107, you can get a waiver, and that is the only legal way you can fly at night. Another provision to the rule is you need marking lights visible for 3 miles. Don't know if my Mavic satisfies that part of the rule.

But you need to be in compliance with part 107, you can get a waiver, and that is the only legal way you can fly at night. Another provision to the rule is you need marking lights visible for 3 miles. Don't know if my Mavic satisfies that part of the rule.
Feel free to NOT fly at night. That's OK. I don't know any other way to clarify the difference for you. I posted the FAA side by side guidelines for you to read. One must comply with part 107 ONLY for commercial use of UAV's. It doesn't apply to hobbyists. Hobbyists do not need to be in compliance with part 107. Public law 112-95 sec.336 guides hobby fliers. 14 CFR part 107 guides fliers that fly for profit. Some of the guidelines overlap, but there are stricter rules the business fliers. They must also get a license. Hobbyist guidelines are not a subset of part 107 guidelines. They are separate.

Where did you get that information? There is a varying amount of information on this depending on where you live, and also what website you look at. However, it appears to be a very gray area. I don't see any outright law against flying at night. Could be wrong though.
Its no grey area. Both the CAA in Europe and the FAA in the USA clearly states that drones are not allowed to be flown at night. Same here in South Africa. Its the base of safe flying.

That is incorrect for recreational fliers. Commercially certified pilots cannot, unless they have a waiver, if I'm not mistaken. Please don't scold people. Period. If you have a point to make, try to be a little more friendly about it. Politeness is good!
Politeness would start by not breaking the law. Sadly there are always a few that spoil it in the end for many because of their actions.

Its no grey area. Both the CAA in Europe and the FAA in the USA clearly states that drones are not allowed to be flown at night. Same here in South Africa. Its the base of safe flying.
You are aware now (after the FAA guideline I posted earlier) that it is NOT against the law to fly at night in the USA if you fly recreationally, not as a part 107 pilot, don't you? Telling people it's illegal is just wrong information.

Just read please before putting out fake news (lol). Note the Operating Rules and the Legal/Regulatory Basis. It is just flat out false to make statements like you are doing.

screen-shot-2017-03-06-at-5-18-36-pm-png.7943

Reactions: FatBoyRoy
It really isn't that complicated:

1. Night flying for recreational purposes is not against the law or even against regulations. See https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf for the guideline requirements.

2. Night flying for commercial purposes is prohibited without the appropriate waiver.

That's it.

edit: yes, yes, this is for the US only, your country may differ

No light requirements either. Just must be VLOS, same as daytime.

This isn't completely true if we assume that AMA is what the FAA refers to when they say community based standards. If so, then lights are required. Are you aware of any other satisfactory community based standard? I haven't heard of another.

At any rate, here's what the AMA says about lighting requirements for night flying. "RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations."

I'm sure the stock lighting on the Mavic would easily satisfy this requirement.

I have flown at night many times and find that the lighting makes it very easy to determine orientation at long distances.

Taken directly from the Transport Canada site:

4.0 Exemption Requirements for UAVs 1 kg or Less

4.2. Flight Conditions

21.The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV during daylight hours.

Note: Allowing aircraft to be flown outside daylight hours requires specified procedures and aircraft lighting and results in a more complex operation. Where UAVs are equipped with lights, the ability of the pilot to control the UAV at night using only the onboard lights is extremely difficult, and as such, there could be a need for additional ground lighting/illumination conditions to mitigate the risks of night operations. To operate a UAV at night, an SFOC would be required.

RPM

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147