DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flying Brought 3 Cops to My Location now I'm Headed to the Police Station

The police want to get themselves a drone too!
Dont forget to tell them,
Never do updates, Use litchi, get the stealth props....
After all, they need to be able to be as undetectable as everyone else!

I think you should bore us with some details.
It really was pretty much as the headline went. Was flying from a great spot I have: Up about 200' (that's something for Florida!).. can see for 40 miles to the east. Big sky country. No houses around the launch area.

Flying for about 15 minutes and I get hit with a spotlight -- it's the local city PD. I wave and start bringing the Mavic back to me just in case there's a issue. He starts walking up, I say "Hi" he says "Hi" and radios in that he's out with me at the location. By this time the Mavic is getting pretty close: When he gets a good look at landing lights and 10 Strobons in all their blazing glory he gives me a "Mother of God" LOL. He radios to the other guys they need to come see this.

I land and turn off all the lights to show him everything (he could NOT believe the size and weight of the Strobons vs. their brightness and run-time). By this time 2 other squad cars show up. They ask for a flight demo so I fire everything up and sent it out. Tons of questions as I fly around the city: all the usual stuff: range, flight time, camera. One of the guys asks if I'd be willing to do a little info session for the department sometime, so I give him my info. That's about it.

The police want to get themselves a drone too!
Dont forget to tell them,
Never do updates, Use litchi, get the stealth props....
After all, they need to be able to be as undetectable as everyone else!
All kidding aside, yes they want to get one. Cops love tech gear as much as we do. Maybe even more. Florida has some pretty strict laws about how police & gvt agencies (and even civilians in some cases) can use drones. Like most departments in the US search & rescue, accident reconstruction, and using them in "high risk" situations (standoffs, hostage) are the main areas of interest.

It really was pretty much as the headline went. Was flying from a great spot I have: Up about 200' (that's something for Florida!).. can see for 40 miles to the east. Big sky country. No houses around the launch area.

Flying for about 15 minutes and I get hit with a spotlight -- it's the local city PD. I wave and start bringing the Mavic back to me just in case there's a issue. He starts walking up, I say "Hi" he says "Hi" and radios in that he's out with me at the location. By this time the Mavic is getting pretty close: When he gets a good look at landing lights and 10 Strobons in all their blazing glory he gives me a "Mother of God" LOL. He radios to the other guys they need to come see this.

I land and turn off all the lights to show him everything (he could NOT believe the size and weight of the Strobons vs. their brightness and run-time). By this time 2 other squad cars show up. They ask for a flight demo so I fire everything up and sent it out. Tons of questions as I fly around the city: all the usual stuff: range, flight time, camera. One of the guys asks if I'd be willing to do a little info session for the department sometime, so I give him my info. That's about it.

Still, pretty cool though, and a great opportunity to help inform the local PD.

Reactions: cderoche
I was flying around my neighborhood the other day. My neighbor from across the street was waking leaves, who is a city policeman and his wife who works for the county sheriff's department came over to watch me fly. We talked, they asked all sorts of questions, they both were pretty excited with all that the Mavic could do and how stable it was, how easy it was to fly. I tried not to show off to much, that is how I usually get myself or the Mavic in trouble, but really have fun showing them what it could do. I have been thinking for some time, about visiting the local Police Chief and talk to him about what drone rules there were for my city and helping him if he was in the process in developing any rules for the city. So far my city doesn't have any rules.

Reactions: Kvark and Pvitale
I'm not sure where in Florida you are but just outside Orlando, spoke with an officer just last week, there ate no rules he was aware of. The mayor of orlando had a special meeting concerning drones came up with rules but FAA shot them down saying they the city can't rule the air, there those rules were moot. So again common sense rules!
Where are you in florida

I'm not sure where in Florida you are but just outside Orlando, spoke with an officer just last week, there ate no rules he was aware of. The mayor of orlando had a special meeting concerning drones came up with rules but FAA shot them down saying they the city can't rule the air, there those rules were moot. So again common sense rules!
Where are you in florida

I'm in Clermont -- lots of hills! And yes Orlando actually had an ordinance where you needed a permit to fly in the city. It was state law that them repeal it though -- it states no city, town, or county can pass their own laws re: drones Overall, the florida law is actually really good for hobby fliers accept for strict photography parts, which many lawyers think is unconstitutional and won't stand up to a court challenge.

Reactions: EvericoSuave
Nice to hear some positive tales with the law enforcement dudes.
Nice, you right! I'm in Kissimmee & try to fly as often as possible. I also have a Yuneec Typhoon H pro. Love them both but the Mavic is the Ferrari. How are you doing flying in the hills? Lots of open spaces?

Much like gun owners can get insurance to assist them in any lawsuit it would be nice if there was a policy available for drone owners just in case some individual or government/municipal entity tries to cause a problem. Like I've always told my sons, "Even when you're right you can still end up paying dearly."

Reactions: Hollow Dog
Yep. And building a good relationship with them doesn't hurt either! :)

You can also bet once they get up to speed on drone rules and regs when some person calls complaining because you're violating "their" airspace when you cruise over their yard at 400' up that the police will have to hear pretty good reason why they're being called for nothing.

Much like gun owners can get insurance to assist them in any lawsuit it would be nice if there was a policy available for drone owners just in case some individual or government/municipal entity tries to cause a problem. Like I've always told my sons, "Even when you're right you can still end up paying dearly."

If you have a homeowners insurance policy, it may already cover a civil claim against you for an accident arising from negligent RC hobby aircraft operation which injures a person or property. I believe you can also get some free liability insurance when you join AMA which covers operations conducted in accordance with FAA Guidelines.

Reactions: cderoche

I think the police coming out and seeing you flying the Mavic is a positive move for you. It seems like they just wanted to check it out, like you said probably to get one for their department.Now that the police know you fly safe it could probably lead to other things, maybe the chance to make a couple bucks doing a quick inspection.You never know, but I'm glad it turned out good, the headline totally threw me off like you were getting arrested or something...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob@max