DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob Problem - Shadowy Flickering Footage

The video stuttering won't be fixed with filters.

Mine does the same thing and I have run multiple tests to try and find the issue.

Sending mine Back. There are lots of people having this issue unfortunately

Oh no...
What are the people experiencing this problem calling it, generally? Has a name developed?
Does it look the same as what's on my video?

Don't listen to him. I thought the footage was great, and the shadows are most likely from the propellers casting a shadow on the camera. Probably not as noticeable with a lower frame rate.

Haha thanks! I'm eager to learn though so constructive criticism is appreciated :)

I'm not putting the guy down.

Do some research.

Why should we settle for stuttering video?

I'm just trying to inform the poster not anything negative.

Obviously he noticed the artifacting so he should get it fixed.

It sucks I know. I use mine for business purposes so believe me I am not happy about it either.

Don't listen to him. I thought the footage was great, and the shadows are most likely from the propellers casting a shadow on the camera. Probably not as noticeable with a lower frame rate.

Haha thanks! I'm eager to learn though so constructive criticism is appreciated :)

Do some research.

It sucks I know. I use mine for business purposes so believe me I am not happy about it either.
It's likely the sun casting a shadow from the props however. If that's the case, there's nothing to be done other than put a sun guard on the lens. Also the video isn't stuttering, there's a moving shadow. There's a difference.

Reactions: Wysiwyg

Do some research.

OK, understood. Thanks for this

If it's shadow , it should go way by changing orientation. Try that next time and see if it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Here is a test.

Holding the drone in your hands

Motors not armed

Record video indoors or outdoors at 24 fps at 1\50 shutter and at 30 fps at 1/60 shutter while slowly walking around.

Point camera towards things like door ways, Windows or any straight edges.

Move slowly and mimic pans ect.

Review footage let me know if you noticed any thing odd

Reactions: Cyberpower678
Actually, a practical question... How do you manage with filters and manual exposure when on any typical flight, the camera may be pointed at different subjects from different angles and therefore, lighting? Does everyone really put on a filter, fly some routes with roughly the same direction and gimbal pitch, land, swap the filter, fly and do another set of exposures, land, swap filters, etc? Or am I missing something?

PolarPros has an app that helps you figure out what filter to use. Personally, if its a sunny day I use a ND16, somewhat cloudy a ND8 and cloudy/darkey a ND4 or no filter. Better to under expose the shots than over.

Hi... this is my first drone and I have less than 6 hours flight time. Also have never shot much video before so I have almost no practical experience with the idiosyncrasies of video shutter speeds/frame rates/etc, other than the reading I've managed to scrounge up so far.

Came back from a trip quite horrified to find this strange video artifact on some of the Mavic shots... a kind of shadowy, flickering that can be seen sometimes to the left, sometimes right, sometimes all over the footage. Seems to happen when the camera is facing the sun at an oblique angle. Because I don't have any filters on the camera, is this what people mean when they talk about high shutter speed flicker? Or is it something more sinister? Curiously the last two locations where I flew didn't result in this effect.

Shot at 2.7K, Art, 60fps, Auto exposure. SD card is the high transfer rate Sandisk Extreme Pro. Compilation (ungraded) below. Appreciate any help/advice!

Mavic Flicker Compilation

The shadowing in the video is the sun rays going through the propellers. Using an ND Filter will reduce that effect a lot. It has to do with the direction and angle of the sun when you are recording footage at that particular time of day. Simply keep the camera angle away from the direction that is causing the shadowing.

PolarPros has an app that helps you figure out what filter to use. Personally, if its a sunny day I use a ND16, somewhat cloudy a ND8 and cloudy/darkey a ND4 or no filter. Better to under expose the shots than over.

What if on any one particular flight you have different lighting conditions depending on the quad's heading and gimbal pitch? (I think for the most part this applies to most of us unless each flight is only dedicated to one shot)

Do you land multiple times per battery to swap filters for the different shots?

The shadowing in the video is the sun rays going through the propellers. Using an ND Filter will reduce that effect a lot. It has to do with the direction and angle of the sun when you are recording footage at that particular time of day. Simply keep the camera angle away from the direction that is causing the shadowing.

Thanks... it would make sense to me that if these are shadows, a sun shade would help. As I understand it, ND filters are just sunglasses... reducing the amount of light reaching the lens. How would that help with these prop shadows?

Thanks... it would make sense to me that if these are shadows, a sun shade would help. As I understand it, ND filters are just sunglasses... reducing the amount of light reaching the lens. How would that help with these prop shadows?

@BD0G can help you with that.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

What if on any one particular flight you have different lighting conditions depending on the quad's heading and gimbal pitch? (I think for the most part this applies to most of us unless each flight is only dedicated to one shot)

Do you land multiple times per battery to swap filters for the different shots?

Well with an ND filter applied to the lens and in flight one still has full control over the exposure value (thumb wheel on the right). So exposure could be adjusted on the fly to allow more or less light into the lens/ camera sensor. You could briefly hover towards direction of intended travel and then adjust exposure and shutter speed. Then you would have less of an overexposed or underexposed shot. It should be within one stop typically.

Well with an ND filter applied to the lens and in flight one still has full control over the exposure value (thumb wheel on the right). So exposure could be adjusted on the fly to allow more or less light into the lens/ camera sensor. You could briefly hover towards direction of intended travel and then adjust exposure and shutter speed. Then you would have less of an overexposed or underexposed shot. It should be within one stop typically.

Ah so that's how it's done. Great! Thanks!

Please keep us updated with your findings/testing.

Do you live there or holidaying? What a beautiful part of the world. Amazing.

I will report back here when I have a solution. I suspect, having done as much research as I could, that the flickering in my footage is indeed prop shadows. I will be ordering the hood to see if that helps, and I suspect it will somewhat, depending on the angle of light. I suspect it will help more than ND filters, which I will also order.

I wish I live there in Samui, at that specific location! But no, I live further south in Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur to be precise. It's tropical, but it ain't a cliffside seaview :D

About the sun hood I made my own with a extra gimble cover I ordered cause the ones you buy 3D printed you can see in the camera when turning or going straight at half speed.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

About the sun hood I made my own with a extra gimble cover I ordered cause the ones you buy 3D printed you can see in the camera when turning or going straight at half speed.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Oh ****. Which one did you get? Was going to order the Taco-RC one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga