DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob Problem - Shadowy Flickering Footage

Hello my friend,
You can easily fix this annoying shadow flickering (that's the only name it has) by using ND filters. These items are used for reducing the light that goes into your camera and therefore the existing artifacts as well. Let me attach a link that perfectly explains what I mean. I hope it can help you.

Hello my friend,
You can easily fix this annoying shadow flickering (that's the only name it has) by using ND filters. These items are used for reducing the light that goes into your camera and therefore the existing artifacts as well. Let me attach a link that perfectly explains what I mean. I hope it can help you.

Awesome, thanks!

Thanks... it would make sense to me that if these are shadows, a sun shade would help. As I understand it, ND filters are just sunglasses... reducing the amount of light reaching the lens. How would that help with these prop shadows?

Be aware where the sun is at in the sky when flying and avoid flying into bright sunlight just before noon and just after noon. The best way to avoid the props in the video footage is to edit those parts of the clip!

Kent
f4bdc68e32b4af522bcf0732d9bd7a36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Wysiwyg
The video stuttering won't be fixed with filters.

Mine does the same thing and I have run multiple tests to try and find the issue.

Sending mine Back. There are lots of people having this issue unfortunately

That is not stuttering.. that is a result of sun light reflecting from the props. Get an ND filter it will reduce the effect. Like someone said earlier. Stop filming with auto exposure. Set the shutter to 2x your frame rate and leave it. Use filters to get your exposure to close to 0. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wysiwyg
I'm not putting the guy down.

Yeah you did.. it was pretty rude.

Do some research.
Also rude.

Why should we settle for stuttering video?.
We shouldn't .. we should actually learn how to properly expose video by the use of ND and polarized filters. This looks like sunlight reflecting off props.. the effect can be mitigated by filters and or changing the angle of the gimbal..

That is not stuttering.. that is a result of sun light reflecting from the props. Get an ND filter it will reduce the effect. Like someone said earlier. Stop filming with auto exposure. Set the shutter to 2x your frame rate and leave it. Use filters to get your exposure to close to 0. Enjoy.

Thanks @m0j0. Yes I do realize now that I've held off getting filters for long enough [emoji16]

Reactions: m0j0

Also rude.

We shouldn't .. we should actually learn how to properly expose video by the use of ND and polarized filters. This looks like sunlight reflecting off props.. the effect can be mitigated by filters and or changing the angle of the gimbal..

Actually I can take honest criticism fine especially if it's also constructive. I'd rather that than sugar-coating if it's actually crap. [emoji1]

I only shoot in manual pal.

Where did I say I was shooting in auto?

And it's not normal behaviour.

I already called DJI explained the situation they said it's like a bad sensor and to send it in

But you keep telling everyone to buy ND filters like it's magically going to fix things.

And my do some research was not directed at the original poster.

Also rude.

How can I make it better?
I apologize. I fixed my original post.

I mean to say Besides the artifact that is some great footage.

Not that it was bad.

I'm sorry and didn't realize my typo.

To the poster and anyone else whom is interested

I did some more testing tonight

Bought a brand new SD card
SanDisk extreme 32 gig class 10 U3 90mps transfer up and down.

The video stuttering still occurred at 24 fps and 30 fps at 1080, 2.7 and 4K

ShOoting in manual

It's not a SD card issue
Its not a play back issue on computer
It's a problem with Mavic Sensor unfortunately.

Call DJI and ask to send back for replacement or repair.

They should sent you some UPS mailing slipsby mail and and email with instructions ect.

I hope we get the replacements we deserved

I apologize. I fixed my original post.

I mean to say Besides the artifact that is some great footage.

Not that it was bad.

I'm sorry and didn't realize my typo.

No worries... no harm done. Thumbswayup

Do you have a link to a video(s) with the flickering you've experienced? I'd like to compare it with mine...

To the poster and anyone else whom is interested

I did some more testing tonight

Bought a brand new SD card
SanDisk extreme 32 gig class 10 U3 90mps transfer up and down.

The video stuttering still occurred at 24 fps and 30 fps at 1080, 2.7 and 4K

ShOoting in manual

It's not a SD card issue
Its not a play back issue on computer
It's a problem with Mavic Sensor unfortunately.

Call DJI and ask to send back for replacement or repair.

They should sent you some UPS mailing slipsby mail and and email with instructions ect.

I hope we get the replacements we deserved

You have an entirely different problem. The OP's problem isn't a stutter, it's a prop shadow.

You have an entirely different problem. The OP's problem isn't a stutter, it's a prop shadow.

I see the prop shadow but I Also see a little stuttering UNLESS it's YouTube artifacts.

Anyways.

I'm just trying to help the OP out.

IF I have come across as an A hole I apologize.

Fat fingers and distracted while posting.

Cheers

I see the prop shadow but I Also see a little stuttering UNLESS it's YouTube artifacts.

Anyways.

I'm just trying to help the OP out.

IF I have come across as an A hole I apologize.

Fat fingers and distracted while posting.

Cheers

I think your hardware is having a hard time playing the video. I ran the YouTube video on my iPhone and had no issues with. The video was smooth.

Actually I can take honest criticism fine especially if it's also constructive. I'd rather that than sugar-coating if it's actually crap. [emoji1]

Honest criticism is one thing, being rude about it is unnecessary and actually harmful to the community. Most people on here do this as Hobby. Who wants a hobby that brings them grief?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I already apologized
It was a typo on my part

Honest criticism is one thing, being rude about it is unnecessary and actually harmful to the community. Most people on here do this as Hobby. Who wants a hobby that brings them grief?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Did you ever try this?

Here is a test.

Holding the drone in your hands

Motors not armed

Record video indoors or outdoors at 24 fps at 1\50 shutter and at 30 fps at 1/60 shutter while slowly walking around.

Point camera towards things like door ways, Windows or any straight edges.

Move slowly and mimic pans ect.

Review footage let me know if you noticed any thing odd

NOT prop shadow. Prop shadow occurs at the top of the footage not the bottom. Def. a sensor issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54