DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Object avoidance kicks in at dusk

MavicProMatt

Reactions
I was flying in an open field at 165 feet late in the afternoon, at dusk, when the forward avoidance kicked in a stopped the mavic. I descended and changed directions and then it cam back towards me. Does the darkening sky and low light trick the system?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I believe it needs good light. The first day I got my Mavic it was late in the afternoon when I unboxed it. By the time, I got the battery and controller charged and learned how to connect the 2, it was getting dark. I was so excited to try it, i went outside and fired it up. I though it was supposed to go only about 4' & then just hover there. Well, after I took my fingers off the left stick, the Mavic drifted left and then right and then just flew away by itself. Talk about PANIC MODE. I ran after it, pushing buttons on the controller as fast as I could. The Mavic ended up crashing into the neighbors bushes. I freaked out. I thought the OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE sensors would've kept it from crashing into the bushes. They didnt. Later, I wondered why it took off and crashed and why the sensors didnt protect it from going into the bushes. I didnt calibrate the compass before I first tried it out.

Someone on this forum said that not calibrating the compass shouldnt have caused that but someone else said it would
I have since read somewhere that the front and bottom sensors need ample light to work correctly.

sent from my Galaxy Note4

Last edited:
Reactions: chazzm and McMavic
Not that I have noticed in forward flight. I did notice that the drone would seem to not hover properly either lowering or raising it self when only ten feet or less at low light or night.

Sent from my SM-N920T using MavicPilots mobile app

It seems to hapen when flying directly at a low setting sun...... Really easy to solve this when it does happen just put the mavic into sports mode and the problem will go away .... im sure DJI will be working on this issue as i have seen quite a few posts about it although i have not had this issue myself and i have tested flying towards the sun but not towards a very low setting sun.

here is an excerpt from the manual:

ATTACH=full]3411[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Mavic Pro User Manual v1.0 20161107.pdf (SECURED) 2017-01-02 00-21-09.jpg
    Mavic Pro User Manual v1.0 20161107.pdf (SECURED) 2017-01-02 00-21-09.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 73
I've noticed on the new firmware mine seem really sensitive, has anyone else seen this..

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
as far as what? The sensors or the stick inputs? If you are referring to the stick inputs and you had made any EXP adjustments, it likely set them back to default after the update.

as far as what? The sensors or the stick inputs? If you are referring to the stick inputs and you had made any EXP adjustments, it likely set them back to default after the update.

Front sensors..

I believe it needs good light. The first day I got my Mavic it was late in the afternoon when I unboxed it. By the time, I got the battery and controller charged and learned how to connect the 2, it was getting dark. I was so excited to try it, i went outside and fired it up. I though it was supposed to go only about 4' & then just hover there. Well, after I took my fingers off the left stick, the Mavic drifted left and then right and then just flew away by itself. Talk about PANIC MODE. I ran after it, pushing buttons on the controller as fast as I could. The Mavic ended up crashing into the neighbors bushes. I freaked out. I thought the OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE sensors would've kept it from crashing into the bushes. They didnt. Later, I wondered why it took off and crashed and why the sensors didnt protect it from going into the bushes. I didnt calibrate the compass before I first tried it out.

Someone on this forum said that not calibrating the compass shouldnt have caused that but someone else said it would
I have since read somewhere that the front and bottom sensors need ample light to work correctly.

The camera sensors need light to work, no calibrating the compass won't help, low light situations will cause problems because the cameras cannot see well enough to sense anything, so the bottom and front cameras wont work either at all or wonky, only the sonic bottom sensors will continue to work because it doesn't need light to function correctly.

Reactions: frankiez

You are correct, the front and bottom cameras, (and that's what they are) not counting the sonic sensors, need light in order to "see" changes this is how they work if they cannot see or barely see they will stop as if in avoidance or act wonky. This will happen in low light situations but also very bright light can also cause the front sensors to malfunction for the very same reasons because the cameras cannot see correctly.

Reactions: frankiez
I've noticed on the new firmware mine seem really sensitive, has anyone else seen this..

They are sensitive but not due to the update,,,, I've done no updates to FW at all and mine will do the same,, the front and bottom cameras need to see to work, in bright light or little to no light I can't see, neither can the cameras LoL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe