DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance Testing...

Piper J3

Reactions
I'm still new to MA2 drone flying…. I’ve been flying very gently and just finished my 3rd flight. I get lots of beeping when machine sees obstacles at a distance. How can I safely test if drone will avoid obstacles? I would like to see this first hand and know that it works as advertised.

Rule 1 - Don't ever trust it completely, IMHO.
Secondly walk with it and gently nudge it into the various circumstances - you'll feel the controller vibrate and hear the warnings. I don't know all of the various drones characteristics - so I refer to the Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro.

Mine gracefully steered itself around a sign. But alas... I'd forgotten to start the video.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Forget that it has an avoidance system would be my advice. I don't think it's advertised to work flawlessly. You certainly can't trust it to work in all bonehead situations especially at high speeds so just don't trust it at all. Be happily surprised it saves you.

APAS should stand for Apt to Plow into All Sorts of things :cool:

I've cautiously tested a few times and it's never failed...watch this guy at 00:19:58 and it might make you feel more at ease.

Hang a piece of toilet paper on something and push the drone straight towards it. You may want to buy DJI care first.

Forget that it has an avoidance system would be my advice. I don't think it's advertised to work flawlessly. You certainly can't trust it to work in all bonehead situations especially at high speeds so just don't trust it at all. Be happily surprised it saves you.

APAS should stand for Apt to Plow into All Sorts of things :cool:
That was my only experience with APAS! Should have avoided the corner of my house - yet chewed up a brand new set of props!
Yes - I can be an idiot at times...

• Sad
Just fly it slowly towards a wall while watching closely. If it doesn't stop about 2-3 feet from the wall, then something is wrong, I've tried mine forward and backward. I actually leave APAS off unless doing active track, because APAS can cause the MA2 to fly upward or sideways into something because it has no sensors there. With APAS I like to monitor closely what the drone is doing. Without APAS it should just beep, vibrate and then hover in place. Be careful of flying fast into an object as it may not have enough distance to stop.

Reactions: RobertR
I tried it with my mailbox. I lined up the hovering MA2 so it was directly in line about 10 feet away from the mailbox and I was about 5 feet behind MA2. Slowly flew it forward, as it approached it slid left all by itself. I tried it again, this time lining it up pointing slighty to the right, it went around to the right side. I tried a third time, dead on, but almost even with the top. It went up and over.

I got a little frisky and tried to fly between the poles of a horse corral. It went up and over.

I think it's pretty good at avoiding obstacles. HOWEVER, I havn't tried with interference. I've only tried with a single obstacle. I would not want to confuse it all that much.

And I certainly would not want to try it unless I was right there to make sure things were okay. But it's good to know that it has some capability to protect itself if you screw up.

Reactions: RobertR
I've cautiously tested a few times and it's never failed...watch this guy at 00:19:58 and it might make you feel more at ease.
I have watched a lot of his videos and watched the ones on MA2 before buying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
themirac