DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Sorry if this has already been discussed but has anyone thought about adding some small airfoils? I'm envisioning something mounted to the top or wide at the sides at the appropriate attack angle at speed to help with lift. Would that be cheating? At 30 mph a properly designed and placed "fixed wing" would have quite an effect if it doesn't disturb the airflow to the props too much.

At any rate, I think what you guys are doing, finding ways to push this thing to its absolute limits, is awesome. The discussion sometimes sounds a lot like sending an aircraft into space :)

Yes, I've had the same thoughts. I don't see that as cheating. If the drone can hover and has a working camera, basically intact with add ons, I think it's good to go. I'm sure people will start with some serious mods like wings. That would really make a difference when having a heavy load on this small craft.

I've only been able to make it 8k due to battery concerns and windy conditions if it wouldn't be so windy where I live I feel like I would be able to go further.

Reactions: digdat0
I've only been able to make it 8k due to battery concerns and windy conditions if it wouldn't be so windy where I live I feel like I would be able to go further.

I've lived in North Dakota. I know exactly what you're talking about. Crazy wind on those plains. Well, always fly into the wind with p-mode and obstacle avoidance off. You can safely fly the battery down to 45% into a good head wind. Turn to sport mode when you turn around and ride the wind back. You'll only use around 30-32% battery on the way back with a good tail wind in sport mode going 40mph ground speed. This is assuming winds in excess of 7mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kestrel
By the way, if you guys want to go through my data at all, just let me know. I can upload the flight log and DAT file. I don't mind sharing if you can get some good ideas from them. There are some nice DAT parsing tools available as many of you know that give very detailed information, like individual motor speeds, battery details to the .1 second interval, signal errors, my input adjustments and thrust levels, etc.
J would like to see a few! Definitely the 1's you where concerned about battery life, im interested in seeing your results so I can feel more comfortable, and also the 1 where you lost your MP!
And where you might have thought u reached your limit of signal but was surprised by your results on airdata.

I've lived in North Dakota. I know exactly what you're talking about. Crazy wind on those plains. Well, always fly into the wind with p-mode and obstacle avoidance off. You can safely fly the battery down to 45% into a good head wind. Turn to sport mode when you turn around and ride the wind back. You'll only use around 30-32% battery on the way back with a good tail wind in sport mode going 40mph ground speed. This is assuming winds in excess of 7mph.
Yeah down here in SD I rarely see a day where it's less than 10-15mph.

@JakeMaxxUAV
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Went exactly 8000m/26,246ft away!
Dual 1500mah 3s / Boosted antenna mod

I haven't played with settings yet, but can I increase distance past 8000m?

Not happy with this run, fought wind all the way there to have to turn around @ 65% (MAX DISTANCE REACHED)
I thought I tried once before but kept changing back to 8000m.
i am on the newest update/firmware too[emoji35][emoji34]
18c5f562d46e532dfd30770091e15418.jpg

@JakeMaxxUAV
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Went exactly 8000m/26,246ft away!
Dual 1500mah 3s / Boosted antenna mod

I haven't played with settings yet, but can I increase distance past 8000m?

Not happy with this run, fought wind all the way there to have to turn around @ 65% (MAX DISTANCE REACHED)
I thought I tried once before but kept changing back to 8000m.
i am on the newest update/firmware too[emoji35][emoji34]
18c5f562d46e532dfd30770091e15418.jpg

No need to turn around at 65%. If you have head wind, then you'll have tail wind one the way back. Flip it to sport mode and ride the wind at 40mph. You'll use less than 35% battery riding the wind back at 40mph. You should push out until 48% or less battery remaining and make the turn.

Yes, I've had the same thoughts. I don't see that as cheating. If the drone can hover and has a working camera, basically intact with add ons, I think it's good to go. I'm sure people will start with some serious mods like wings. That would really make a difference when having a heavy load on this small craft.
I'm not seeing the aerodynamics of this unless you use rods to get outside the prop thrust envelope, and then put the airfoil out there clear of the thrust.

Otherwise, it seems this would only interfere with lifting thrust from the props, and of course the horizontal airflow over the surface necessary to produce lift would be pretty much impossible under the props.

I'm not seeing the aerodynamics of this unless you use rods to get outside the prop thrust envelope, and then put the airfoil out there clear of the thrust.

Otherwise, it seems this would only interfere with lifting thrust from the props, and of course the horizontal airflow over the surface necessary to produce lift would be pretty much impossible under the props.

That's why you would have the wings OVER the mavic. There are some definite challenges. Mavic would need to be suspended below the wings in a way that does not interfere with props. One of these small lightweight foam gliders with 24" wing span or less should do the trick. You need something that doesn't have too much lift as it cannot completely override Mavic's control. Anyway, I haven't put too much thought into this yet. Would need to do some calculations and draw up some ideas for mounts. Cruzroy's the guy you need on this one.

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
That's why you would have the wings OVER the mavic. There are some definite challenges. Mavic would need to be suspended below the wings in a way that does not interfere with props. One of these small lightweight foam gliders with 24" wing span or less should do the trick. You need something that doesn't have too much lift as it cannot completely override Mavic's control. Anyway, I haven't put too much thought into this yet. Would need to do some calculations and draw up some ideas for mounts. Cruzroy's the guy you need on this one.

Actually, I'm not sure that's good approach either. Perhaps small wings protruding off the sides of the mavic at an aggressive angle. When fully pitched, you would want just the right angle for a good lift to drag ratio.

No need to turn around at 65%. If you have head wind, then you'll have tail wind one the way back. Flip it to sport mode and ride the wind at 40mph. You'll use less than 35% battery riding the wind back at 40mph. You should push out until 48% or less battery remaining and make the turn.
My MP stopped in mid air and said (MAX DISTANCE REACHED) I couldn't do anything but come home! Full stop, no go on, just (MAX DISTANCE REACHED) on the screen and in voice!

My MP stopped in mid air and said (MAX DISTANCE REACHED) I couldn't do anything but come home! Full stop, no go on, just (MAX DISTANCE REACHED) on the screen and in voice!

You need to uncheck the max distance option in the settings.

Reactions: Natedoggz

That's a good idea. Just have the wings off the side, but have something thin like a rod extending out and then flare out to a wing outside the prop thrust area. Just need Cruzroy to mock up something. Would need to be adjustable to change wing angle. I would tune it to maximum pitch angle in sport mode, as it should be the most efficient. The craft would settle at 40mph, but with reduced rpm as a result of the additional wing lift taking the weight off the Mavic motors.

@JakeMaxxUAV 50,174 ft. and back with the Mavic. Dual multistar 4000 LIHV batteries Maxx UAV battery clip , and a stock controller. I'm pretty impressed with this battery combination it even does well on the bottom end. Nate you were definitely right about these LIHV's they were pretty darn good with the mavic. I think next chance I get to go to Okeechobee I might be able to get 10 miles. IMG_0307.PNG IMG_0308.PNG

@JakeMaxxUAV 50,174 ft. and back with the Mavic. Dual multistar 4000 LIHV batteries Maxx UAV battery clip , and a stock controller. I'm pretty impressed with this battery combination it even does well on the bottom end. Nate you were definitely right about these LIHV's they were pretty darn good with the mavic. I think next chance I get to go to Okeechobee I might be able to get 10 miles. View attachment 14277 View attachment 14278

I knew you'd do it! Awesome flight dude! 4% rolling in, as I was. Yes, those batteries are the way to go. I think 10 miles is no problem on the right day.

We have good weather rolling into the Bay area this next week, so I'll be taking another crack at it. This is fun man! Love the competition.

Reactions: Unknown Caller
Dang unknown, you are pushing close to 10 miles and the summer is just starting. Great flight man, ballsy too coming over the water so low. Nice!!

Dang unknown, you are pushing close to 10 miles and the summer is just starting. Great flight man, ballsy too coming over the water so low. Nice!!
Yes, he's an ace pilot as are you. Looking forward to the competition with you guys.

I knew you'd do it! Awesome flight dude! 4% rolling in, as I was. Yes, those batteries are the way to go. I think 10 miles is no problem on the right day.

We have good weather rolling into the Bay area this next week, so I'll be taking another crack at it. This is fun man! Love the competition.
Thanks Nate I can't wait to see what you do next week man.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty