DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Yeah it's a great area.

It was so perfect, I'm just inching my way out.

I feel like with a 5.2lihv I could have went beyond 40,000' and made it back. It's just getting my nerves back in check.

nice flights TLS! you go out any earlier you will be sharing your spot w/ the scorpions[emoji41]
oh yeah, you can make 40,000 no prob.
and we all know from following pheonix's flights in that flightpath there are plenty of emergency landing spots.
; )

Reactions: Phxbird57
nice flights TLS! you go out any earlier you will be sharing your spot w/ the scorpions[emoji41]
and we all know from following pheonix's flights in that flightpath there are plenty of emergency landing spots.
; )

Yeah, I was hesitant. Here's why. If you see my post about the weird error with the IMU and compass. So, I hadn't actually done a single flight with two batteries that DIDN'T throw that error ultimately grounding me. Up till this weekend speculation was the heat was the cause.

So this weekends flights two were with one single 5.2 MS's. And one was with two 4.0's. No error! So the outside temp was the culprit.

I just didn't want to get out 6 miles and have that error happen. It had been occurring at about 60% or so which is why I turned back at 60%.

So now I know, and I think that flight area is the perfect spot to go for broke. Lots of desert and lots of dirt farm roads to dump it if I had to.

so you think it just took running 10+ minutes for the heat to build up and start making the bird act up?

; )
And squirrels to look at.

Yeah, I was hesitant. Here's why. If you see my post about the weird error with the IMU and compass. So, I hadn't actually done a single flight with two batteries that DIDN'T throw that error ultimately grounding me. Up till this weekend speculation was the heat was the cause.

So this weekends flights two were with one single 5.2 MS's. And one was with two 4.0's. No error! So the outside temp was the culprit.

I just didn't want to get out 6 miles and have that error happen. It had been occurring at about 60% or so which is why I turned back at 60%.

So now I know, and I think that flight area is the perfect spot to go for broke. Lots of desert and lots of dirt farm roads to dump it if I had to.
It's something to do with the direct heat baking on the drone. It maybe 85 degrees air temp but after 15 minutes of flying your battery may be 140 degrees. You've seen where I've push the temp up to 179.5 degrees. of the battery. that was with a p4. After looking at my flight logs it looks as if the Mavic does fly cooler than the P4 or P3. On one of my longest flight the mavic got to 141 degrees that was in may.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Last edited:
so you think it just took running 10+ minutes for the heat to build up and start making the bird act up?

Short answer, yes.

When I first got into these external battery modifications, I tried to fly with 2 3.0 MS's and immediately started experiencing battery related errors. After investigating it, I realized that it was actually an IMU error and a Compass error. This was true of all batteries I tried. Two 3000 mA batteries would cause the error, as would a single 52,000 mA battery.

I couldn't even fly with a 5200 Multistar in the heat. Always around halfway I would get the error popped up and would have to land and wait for it to cool down.

The last time this happened I attempted to calibrate the compass and the IMU To no avail both of them failed during the calibration.

Eventually after the drone cool down I could restart and fly again.

On Sunday at 5 AM it started out in the mid-70s I never really got about 85°. So I figured I would try again with two 4000 mA hour batteries and two flights with single 52,000 mA hours batteries.

Needless to say all three flights that I did went great! So based on my flight this weekend I do believe that it is temperature related. Unfortunately every day still over 105° and will be that way in the next two weeks. However the nights have started cooling down into the 70s so I should be able to get some early morning and late night flights in.

It's some thing to do with the direct hot baking on the drone. It maybe 85 degrees air temp but after 15 minutes flight your battery may be 140 degrees. You've seen where I've push the temp up to 179.5 degrees. of the battery. that was with a p4. After looking at my flight logs it looks as if the Mavic does fly cooler than the P4 or P3. On one of my longest flight the mavic got to 141 degrees that was in may.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

@dirtybum yes I agree! So I would get this error after flying around a while -
265c4943b9df817492cb2417b80fa4f8.jpg

When I tried to calibrate because the IMU and Compass errors -
e7c607ba69de5b007e1599ee1143a12c.jpg

Reactions: digdat0
Here's my today's flight @JakeMaxxUAV
Modified antenna
two 3000mAh batteries

hey marcini, nice flight!
was you fighting some wind? 36 minutes is great flight time, seems like income whether you should've been able to go a little further than 36,000 on a 36 minute flight. Just wondering the details.
I noticed you went down to 1%, everything went smooth fighting the island, no Squirrley controls

hey marcini, nice flight!
was you fighting some wind? 36 minutes is great flight time, seems like income whether you should've been able to go a little further than 36,000 on a 36 minute flight. Just wondering the details.
I noticed you went down to 1%, everything went smooth fighting the island, no Squirrley controls

I had some insignificant head wind on the way back, other than thad it handeled fine, stable a 1%. I measured mavic battery after and it was 10.1volts and my multistars were around 11volts

I don't think that gets you on the board for the modded Mavic?
I still say that pole mounted outside antennas should not be allowed to be part of the leader board. Should be just the bird and your handheld antenna. Maybe have a separate section for pole mounted antennas. Just my 2 cents worth that's all.

I still say that pole mounted outside antennas should not be allowed to be part of the leader board. Should be just the bird and your handheld antenna. Maybe have a separate section for pole mounted antennas. Just my 2 cents worth that's all.

I don't use tripod mounted antennas, but modded is modded. I don't think we can differentiate. The precedence has already been set on the other leaderboards for P3, P4, etc and there many use tripod mounted antennaes for modded crafts.

I respect your opinion , but I don't think antenna modifications should be limited. You gotta think of the people that don't live in great environments for long distance. Some people need more power than others. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: Phxbird57
I don't use tripod mounted antennas, but modded is modded. I don't think we can differentiate. The precedence has already been set on the other leaderboards for P3, P4, etc and there many use tripod mounted antennaes for modded crafts.
Amen brother!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky