DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PLEASE HELP ME!! :( :(

As others have speculated, you have a chance of a replacement. I lost my Phantom 4 in a lake and based on flight records and (in my case) an obvious barometric warning and uncontrollable decent they replaced it for free. Also if they opt to replace it you will get it within 7 days of there determination as apposed to having to wait as if you ordered one new.

I wish you much luck and you get to visit the skys again soon.

PS. if it helps, here's a link to the 3 minute video that I uploaded to successfully make my case to DJI. Perhaps you should try the same. Especially if your replay shows the error message/s.

Vimeo Link:

Password:
djip4

As others have speculated, you have a chance of a replacement. I lost my Phantom 4 in a lake and based on flight records and (in my case) an obvious barometric warning and uncontrollable decent they replaced it for free. Also if they opt to replace it you will get it within 7 days of there determination as apposed to having to wait as if you ordered one new.

I wish you much luck and you get to visit the skys again soon.

PS. if it helps, here's a link to the 3 minute video that I uploaded to successfully make my case to DJI. Perhaps you should try the same. Especially if your replay shows the error message/s.

Vimeo Link:

Password:
djip4

thanks man!

unfortunately, i was not recording video at the time of the incident so i cant even see a replay of it. also, how long did it take for them to make a determination with yours?

your video is great, wish i could do something similar!

how long did it take for them to make a determination with yours?
3 biz days they sent me an email with DJI credit and I used it to get a replacement. a week or so later I was back in business. A good lesson learned for you steve and anyone else who cares. I think it is good practice to (almost) always record as it will a) sometimes give you a clue where it landed and b) help you make your case with DJI or worst case in court. A buddy of mine had is UAV freakout and did unfortunately hurt someone. His video and flight records saved him from a great deal of trouble and let's face it. recording is free.

Just my 2 cents
Good luck to you

Reactions: Peter Barnes
3 biz days they sent me an email with DJI credit and I used it to get a replacement. a week or so later I was back in business. A good lesson learned for you steve and anyone else who cares. I think it is good practice to (almost) always record as it will a) sometimes give you a clue where it landed and b) help you make your case with DJI or worst case in court. A buddy of mine had is UAV freakout and did unfortunately hurt someone. His video and flight records saved him from a great deal of trouble and let's face it. recording is free.

Just my 2 cents
Good luck to you

Ya, sometimes you wanna take pics though and you can't do them at the same time unfortunately!

That's fantastic news though, really hope to hear from them soon!

Thank you.

I've tried looking for it at some of the suggested points too but my question is, wouldn't the gps have reconnected at some point if it had tried to fly home?

Also, looking at my logs, can anyone tell me (without a lecture on how I should be flying it) if the dji people who take a look at the logs will say it was my fault or if there's a chance that they look at it and say the drone malfunctioned in some way and maybe send me a new one? I know you can't know for sure but beyond my heinous besmirching of your good hobby (this is adressed to the less helpful among you so the rest of you kind and helpful individuals, please don't be offended) are they likely to assume some responsibility?

Thanks again guys!

Well. Fly safe on line of sight avoid flying on top of cities theres a lot of interference. Go out the city and enjoy the view and fly your mavic.

Always scout the place / route first to avoid high tension cables or other obstacles

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: djorgen
As far as I can tell the rules for flying drones in Canada are pretty strict

Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

No registration rules but...

As far as I can see you broke 1 of the 4 do rules and 5 of the 8 don't rules in the flight

Do Rule:
Keep your drone where you can see it with your own eyes – not through an on-board camera, monitor, or smartphone.

Don't Rules:
Don't fly closer than nine km (five nm) from any aerodrome (i.e., any airport, heliport, helipad, or seaplane base).
Don't fly higher than 90 m (300 feet) above the ground.
Don't fly closer than 150 m (500 feet) from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.
Don't fly in populated areas or near large groups of people, including at sporting events, concerts, festivals, or firework shows.
Don't fly near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.

FYI you were at around 495 feet for about a minute of your flight about a mile from the end of the runway of the airport to your north. It doesn't appear to be a big airport but...

The 500 foot buffer from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles seems kinda hard to do.

Not really trying to be the drone police but it is a good idea to know the rules in your area

Uh... Hate to tell to you, but if that's you trying, you failed MISERABLY.

Joined less than 24 hours ago. First and only post is to lecture to and call out members... You're gonna have a great time here I can tell.

hahaha! it seems like a lot of people come here to be the drone police, and then they end it with, im not trying to be the drone police but you broke 300 laws so please mail your fine to me within 30 days. Or they say, i dont mean to be the drone police but its people like you who are ruining this hobby for serious, law abiding pilots.

just saying though, your post is on behalf of the drone police police ;)

Reactions: BudWalker
hahaha! it seems like a lot of people come here to be the drone police, and then they end it with, im not trying to be the drone police but you broke 300 laws so please mail your fine to me within 30 days. Or they say, i dont mean to be the drone police but its people like you who are ruining this hobby for serious, law abiding pilots.

just saying though, your post is on behalf of the drone police police ;)
Yeah, I know. But it just frustrates me to see people who contribute nothing of value to the thread. They are their own echo-chamber and think they're a shining light of wisdom when they get to bash a fellow man in the head. Quite the contrary... It creates a chilling-effect on anyone else who is considering sharing their own experiences. And who could blame them. Rather that encouraging users - even those who obviously could have used better judgment - to share their mistakes (where everyone could learn from them) - these know-it-all drone police scare them away.

Yeah, I know. But it just frustrates me to see people who contribute nothing of value to the thread. They are their own echo-chamber and think they're a shining light of wisdom when they get to bash a fellow man in the head. Quite the contrary... It creates a chilling-effect on anyone else who is considering sharing their own experiences. And who could blame them. Rather that encouraging users - even those who obviously could have used better judgment - to share their mistakes (where everyone could learn from them) - these know-it-all drone police scare them away.

You're 100 percent right, I was just teasing. I've said it a lot, people who come here to dump on you when you're having a problem should know better. I was really distressed when I lost my mavic and i came here hoping to find out what my chances were of finding it/getting a new one or some other reassurance. I got a lot of that but along with it I got a bunch of people telling me I don't know how to fly etc etc. that's not what people in my position are looking for. As it happens, dji has replaced my mavic free of charge and I couldn't be happier!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

There needs to be "drone police" police. When everyone is trying to figure out what went wrong the thread always veers off. That really needs to stop. It discourages posts that we can all learn from. Why not make a thread for all snarky drone police comments. When the drone police feel a violation has occurred just add it to the Drone Police thread and offer a link to the op. That way the rest of the people can stay on topic.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

There needs to be "drone police" police. When everyone is trying to figure out what went wrong the thread always veers off. That really needs to stop. It discourages posts that we can all learn from. Why not make a thread for all snarky drone police comments. When the drone police feel a violation has occurred just add it to the Drone Police thread and offer a link to the op. That way the rest of the people can stay on topic.

Amen to that !!!!! [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

SkyHigh Pyro Eye flying above

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
Hey I even think it could be done in a fun way. Name a police chief, deputies etc. Could even award points for violations.

Reactions: chazzm
Good for you, OP. If you and your new Mavic ever encounter your old one now that apparently became self-aware and escaped, maybe you can collect it and send it in to DJI for a bounty.
Happy flying meanwhile, and may it be glitch-free. (When it's not, may DJI continue to be usefully helpful.)

To you "drone police police" guys: I'm sorry, but if its not allowed to speak up when someone is flying close to an airport, or over a city, then what is the point of this forum anyho? Isnt this supposed to be a place in which we all share our love for drones, and helping each other out, and be able to speak up when we feel the need to? I.e. free speech? I dont really see how you can take some polite security reminders as "bashing" of people?

We see a lot of new pilots on this forum, and its just common sense to remind people of security guidelines when they clearly dont know/care about it.

Last edited:
To you "drone police police" guys: I'm sorry, but if its not allowed to speak up when someone is flying close to an airport, or over a city, then what is the point of this forum anyho? Isnt this supposed to be a place in which we all share our love for drones, and helping each other out, and be able to speak up when we feel the need to? I.e. free speech? I dont really see how you can take some polite security reminders as "bashing" of people?

We see a lot of new pilots on this forum, and its just common sense to remind people of security guidelines when they clearly dont know/care about it.

It is allowed as long as it is done in a polite way. Once again looking at your replies or posts shows that you police safety allot. We had this go around in another thread. If all you are going to do is post about all safety issues, then why post at all or to the safety part of the forum!. Especially when someone is asking like'can i fly around a airport'. Instead of saying'the law says no inside a ? radius' say something like 'you can if you contact the airport, but watch for bigger aircraft while fyling'. There is a difference in the you say and the way it would better. That is common sense rite there all by itself. Like I said to you before, I am sure that you are the safest person in this world and you have NEVER put you or yourself in harms way. If you help out then it wouldn't be so bad. Go look at and reread most of your posts!!

I've always been polite; feel free to read my posts. Yep safety is important (to me). Strange that. :)

I've always been polite; feel free to read my posts. Yep safety is important (to me). Strange that. :)
Please reread post #21 in this thread and tell me what was polite about it. Strange that back at ya!! [emoji14]

You may not want to read this but I am gonna say it anyway as it needs to be heard. Anyone who feels that reminding an operator of the rules is wrong is only contributing to the downfall of the hobby as we know it. Everyday I see videos of people flying over crowds, flying through crowded urban settings and flying in NFZ's. It is tragic because sooner or later bad things are going to start happening. With hundreds of thousands of these in the hands of inexperienced operators is a recipe for disaster. While they may be "toys" to some, they require a certain amount of responsibility to operate safely. There is no reason anyone should be posting threads about losing a drone in an urban setting as you should not be in that circumstance. It is completely irresponsible of any hobby operator to even consider a flight in such an area. If things progress like they have you can expect many more restrictions from towns & cities and more regulation from the FAA.

Fly safely out there people, you don't wanna be "that guy".

You may not want to read this but I am gonna say it anyway as it needs to be heard. Anyone who feels that reminding an operator of the rules is wrong is only contributing to the downfall of the hobby as we know it. Everyday I see videos of people flying over crowds, flying through crowded urban settings and flying in NFZ's. It is tragic because sooner or later bad things are going to start happening. With hundreds of thousands of these in the hands of inexperienced operators is a recipe for disaster. While they may be "toys" to some, they require a certain amount of responsibility to operate safely. There is no reason anyone should be posting threads about losing a drone in an urban setting as you should not be in that circumstance. It is completely irresponsible of any hobby operator to even consider a flight in such an area. If things progress like they have you can expect many more restrictions from towns & cities and more regulation from the FAA.

Fly safely out there people, you don't wanna be "that guy".

Smart man! 100 % agree with you. Lets just hope and pray that the hobby keeps alive going forward, and that the goverment(s) doesnt need to ban all drones because of one or more serious incidents. We all can, and should, do our best to minimize the chance of this happening by staying safe and helping out each other.

Reactions: grizzard

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661