DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[POLL] National Park ban

Which statement best describes your views on drone use in National Parks?

• A complete and permanent ban of drones must remain in place.

• Given appropriate restrictions, regulations and fees, drone use should be allowed.

• Completely lift the ban and let pilots use their best judgment when flying.

Results are only viewable after voting.

floyd

Reactions
Before some people's heads explode because another thread has been started on this topic, please use this thread to make any constructive comments:
Drones and the National Parks...
This thread's intent, via the poll, is to better identify the forum's stance on the ban of drones in the National Parks.

Reactions: DroneJI
One set of sensible rules for everyone everywhere.
(i.e. flying inside or outside national park should not matter)

easy and mandatory registration for flying outside of your own property.
easy and fast mandatory registration for visitors/tourists.
registration should be per person, not per drone.

If you want to fly from within a national park show the drone on entry and show again on exit. Actual tickets for "littering" (losing your drone) and for other violations of the rules.

set up a national No Fly Zone database and make it mandatory for all GPS drones to use this. standardise this database so other countries can use the same system. just load the relevant database based on location.

For example, Yellowstone could add old faithful and grand prismatic spring, etc (where it is usually too busy to fly safely anyway), but they don't need to flat out ban drones in the whole park.

homebuilds and current models can opt out of GPS database, but drone operators still need to register.

limit no fly zones to airport grounds/1 mile, use a 50ft altitude restriction in the current wide circles.

There have been so many instances where I wish I could have flown my Mavic in a national park. I go to Mt Rainier all the time but I think its best they are kept out of the National Parks for the sake of piece and quiet. They would be extremely beneficial for search and rescue but that would of course require the consent and coordination of any SAR teams and the Park rangers.

I’m “NOT” looking for the way to do this if possible! But if a situation came up to fly a drone for search and rescue at the last minute can the Dji restrictions be overridden on the fly? Or is this impossible without somehow. Modifying the firmware in advance? It’s just a question since I travel a lot and if such a situation were to arise in such a place could it be done to assist if asked to do so by the law or a government official ?

I’m “NOT” looking for the way to do this if possible! But if a situation came up to fly a drone for search and rescue at the last minute can the Dji restrictions be overridden on the fly? Or is this impossible without somehow. Modifying the firmware in advance? It’s just a question since I travel a lot and if such a situation were to arise in such a place could it be done to assist if asked to do so by the law or a government official ?
National Park areas are not restricted in the DJI Go 4 app.

But in terms of the yellow authorization zones in the DJI Go 4 app, you can unlock them in the app by going through the authorization process.

Red (restricted) no-fly areas cannot be unlocked "on-the-fly". You would have to do those in advance and submit proper documentation.
DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

While I'm sure there's a bit of bias given this is a drone forum, the consensus is clearly (75%!) drones should be allowed in National Parks.

National Parks: Question: Is it true that if Drone is launched outside the National Park boundaries' its not as big of
a problem? Because the flight is on the out skirts of the Park, and not where the main attractions are.
I have nothing to confirm this statement just word of mouth. Please share any info you may have on this subject.
I

It's a good thing this thread is not being used to debate this all over again and everyone is going to the prior thread on this to discuss and get their answers.

While I'm sure there's a bit of bias given this is a drone forum, the consensus is clearly (75%!) drones should be allowed in National Parks.

Drone fliers would like to fly in National Parks. Who would have though.

Well, I guess that solves that problem..... ???

While there may not be a lot of votes, I think the trend is obvious. It doesn't take a genius to recognize the bias drone pilots would have related to flying in a national park. That being said, there have been many constructive suggestions related to legalizing drone flying (to some degree) in certain national parks.

More discussion at...

Drones and the National Parks...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661