DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Random thoughts on flying.

BbqJoe

Reactions
Since I bought my first drone around Chistmas, I think I've I've flown maybe four or five times.
That's not to say I haven't charged up my batteries a bunch of times getting all ready to go, only to have something crop up, whether it's life or the weather.
This flying thing takes a whole lot more planning than I ever thought.

I wonder if birds spend as much time planning to walk?

Since I bought my first drone around Chistmas, I think I've I've flown maybe four or five times.
That's not to say I haven't charged up my batteries a bunch of times getting all ready to go, only to have something crop up, whether it's life or the weather.
This flying thing takes a whole lot more planning than I ever thought.

I wonder if birds spend as much time planning to walk?

You’ll get no argument from me that flying a drone is not some mindless entertainment, but that’s part of the joy. There are plenty of hobbies that you could take up that requires no more forethought than Bird Watching by going outside to sprinkle some bird seed down for those birds to walk over to eat or just being a Couch Potato and binge watch TV.

I’m not saying that Bird Watching is a “bird brain” activity, I always keep the bird feeder and bird bath full and as it turns out; the wife and I are binge watching “Downton Abbey” now.

But all the rigmarole that goes into this activity is just part of the joy of flying: to prep the equipment, select the location, plan the flight,, etc…

You just gotta get into it…

No doubt. Especially with DJI's smart battery discharge system. If I do grab and go on a whim I have to deal with 60% charged batteries and get a bunch of 12 minute flights. Weather, direction of sun, overnight charged batteries, activity in the area I want to fly in, and on and on. When I first started and saw people writing about "missions" on the forum I thought that's fun hyperbole. Now I get it.

No doubt. Especially with DJI's smart battery discharge system. If I do grab and go on a whim I have to deal with 60% charged batteries and get a bunch of 12 minute flights. Weather, direction of sun, overnight charged batteries, activity in the area I want to fly in, and on and on. When I first started and saw people writing about "missions" on the forum I thought that's fun hyperbole. Now I get it.
Just be glad they do discharge. Leaving LiPo batteries on a full charge is one the ways to end their life prematurely.

There are plenty of hobbies that you could take up that requires no more forethought than Bird Watching by going outside to sprinkle some bird seed down for those birds to walk over to eat
I feed the birds and squirrels on my back deck. I started out doing it to provide entertainment for my old cats, who never go out. It worked great for that, and I ended up enjoying it too.

All the critters scatter whenever I go out on the deck, but sometimes when I'm flying my drone from there, a stealthy squirrel will sneak up and munch the food while I'm still flying.

Sometimes one of my cats will watch through the screen door while I'm out flying.

They all scatter again when I bring the drone home.

I've got two Blue Jays munching food now in the snow...

:cool:

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter