DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RAW images not working since update v.0800

Ok the plot thickens. I've uploaded the image to Google Drive, i double clicked on it for s&%ts and giggles...... and the stupid thing opened like there was nothing wrong with it. WTF is going on? :-/
hopefully this link takes you to the image so you can investigate further...
DJI_0175.DNG

Opens fine on my iPad, don't have access to my new iMac till later in the week

Was having this issue as well on the new FW. I uploaded the files I wanted to the external HD I keep all my photos on. From there I imported the files I wanted to Lightroom.

Everything appears normal now. I was able to edit, develop like usual.

It's really bizarre that it works for some and not for others, even with the majority using a Mac of some sort to do the editing.
Maybe I'll have to keep trialling different software to see if something will open the image.
Failing that, I'll have to try and roll back my firmware.
Thanks for all your help. It's good to know that I'm not the only one out there having this issue since updating to the .0800 firmware.
If and when I find a solution that works for me, I'll let you know

I haven't upgraded my firmware yet, and I'm glad I read your post first.
I downloaded your photo to my iMac.
It opens fine in Photoshop
If I hit the space bar to preview the file in the finder, I get a black box.
If I open it in the Preview app, it's black
If I drag it into Photos I get the thumbnail, but it is black if I try to edit it.

Reactions: Alba Flyer
I'm having the same issues with the my MacBook Air. Pre-update, I had no problem with DNG files. Now, the JPEG works but the DNG can be seen but any edit turns it black. If I upload them to my phone, there's no issue. This stinks because there are about 120 pictures this is affecting. Any ideas on what I should do? I guess until this is addressed by DJI, I'll just shoot in JPEG.

Reactions: VortexSpin
Now the question is if this is DJI writing the wrong format or Apple misinterpreting them.
How about someone run it through a DNG verifying tool from Adobe since it is their format.

For those running firmware .800 check RAW photos shot in portrait mode for a blue tint down the bottom.

There is another thread Blue tint on raw photos?
where other members are reporting the exact same issue.

JPEG images from the Mavic are not effected nor are RAW files shot in landscape.

See post #13 for my example.

The latest firmware update certainly seems to of effected the way the Mavic process the DNG files.

Would be interested if any other members could perform a test taking RAWs in portrait mode to see how widespread the issue is?

Now the question is if this is DJI writing the wrong format or Apple misinterpreting them.
How about someone run it through a DNG verifying tool from Adobe since it is their format.
If I load the sample file (from the 3rd post in this thread) into Adobe's DNG conversion tool and save it back out, it comes out much smaller, but it is still black in Apple's software.

I've reformatted my SD card and tried changing the SD card as well to no avail.

I updated to latest firmware and had same issue with Raw on my iMac.

Like you, I tried everything I knew to try. Different SD as well.

Contacted DJI and they recommended downgrade to earlier version and wait for update. It's not the mac.

Why can you be sure it is not the Mac. Is it a valid file according to the Adobe DNG standard??

I actually downloaded a trial version of Adobe Lightroom and it opens in that so that confused me even more. Haha
On a lighter note, I thought I'd share the completed video from where all this drama started. I finished it last night so I thought I'd get some feedback from my fellow pilots. Please don't be too mean. Ha!

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
I came to the conclusion that it's not the iMac itself because of the issue only being present in the latest update (.0800). Loading older versions up and RAW works just fine.

DJI support stated it was a known issue and recommended running older version until a fix was released.

Reactions: Alba Flyer
Must be the "Optimized color shading in for improved footage quality" :)) ... seems stupid how they miss such mistakes in firmwares:(

Nice shots of Sydney, loved the city on my two visits. Would love to fly my Mavic there (but don't think the battery would last as it's 12500km away;)).

The DNG opened in everything I had on my PC (PhotoShop, PaintShopPro, Faststone Image Viewer, and even Win10's photo app)

Like playing 'spot the pilot'. Blue shorts? Best of luck with your business!

Reactions: Prado man
Haha I am there, but not in blue shorts. Haha

Now, speaking of rolling back firmware, which is something I will have to do, is it just as simple as connecting the Mavic to the DJI Assistant 2 app and selecting .0700 for example, and then doing the same for the controller?
Is there a specific order that you need to do this in?
Is it fine to have the DJI GO 4 app on the latest version?
Because I was pretty sure that it wouldn't let me fly until I did the firmware update.....

Reactions: Prado man
I know exactly what happened. Android Nougat users cannot use DJI Go of any sort size shape or description without crashes. So DJI in an attempt to be an equal aggravation supplier messed up some stuff for Apple users.

I am on 4.0.7 and .700 Samsung Tab S2 and PC and I can tell you there is no way I am "Downgrading" to the newer versions.

When I right clicked and tried to Save Image As nada

When I copied image it opened up fine in Irfan View

Downloaded the file and it opens in MS Picture Viewer

I looked at the file information and was very surprised at the low number of pixels. DNG Info.jpg DNG Info.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom