DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real Estate shots

kneeL

Reactions
Just a random question for anyone else who is doing commercial shots for real estate or anything similar:

How do you get around rules regarding advertising in photos? For example, MLS listings require no shots of the real estate sign in the front yard or along the street. This causes tons of editing work for me that I don't want.
When doing large houses, its fine, but when doing smaller city properties, its usually next to impossible to get a good shot without the real estate sign in the front yard. Cropping isn't always a solution.

I've told the agents I work with to try to contact me for the shots BEFORE they get their sign up but its not feasible in most cases.

We use a small dark "tarp/canvas" to cover signs and such. i've even used one to cover our car one time when we could not get it out of the shot.

Also if it's just a metal "stick in the ground sign" we move them pretty regularly.

I'm a real estate broker (though my mavic is just for fun so far) and my MLS has the same rule. Unless it's a sign on a wood post dug into the ground can't you simply remove the sign for filming and replace it when done? If the owner is home they should understand and if they're not you just do it. I assume you're the listing agent or working for that agent or home owner.

Most signs are removable and I just remove them as needed. I have not run into one that cannot be removed yet (IE solid wooden post set into the ground). I tell my listing agents that hire me to remove the signs prior to the shoot, or there will be a $20 service charge for removal and or photo correction.

I've been lucky, in that any of the signs have so far either been too small or at an angle, so as to make them totally incidental. If you pick your lines carefully, you can usually avoid them altogether.

Most of the time they are easily removed and replaced but on our Commercial Shoots the signs are usually significant (hard mounted deep into the ground) and on those we have a large camouflage netted/tarp that we drape over them. Makes it just about vanish and doesn't require any removal in post at all.

Reactions: Anthonyk
Yes, these aren't easily removable. Big heavy wooden signs. The listing agent is who asks for the shots and I have told them to attempt to ask me for shots prior to putting signs up but its not usually possible.

The camoflage/tarp idea is great. Will have to concoct something I can use for it. Charging extra will probably be best, as then they will make sure to contact me early/first

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes, these aren't easily removable. Big heavy wooden signs. The listing agent is who asks for the shots and I have told them to attempt to ask me for shots prior to putting signs up but its not usually possible.

The camoflage/tarp idea is great. Will have to concoct something I can use for it. Charging extra will probably be best, as then they will make sure to contact me early/first

We don't charge extra it's just part of doing business but YMMV.

I picked ours up at an Army Surplus store here local. It was $$ well spent.

I think it's interesting that most of you point out that FAA draws the line at commercial photography usage w/wo profit, but have no complaint about a forum that post both your drone pictures and adds for whatever on the same page.

I think it's interesting that most of you point out that FAA draws the line at commercial photography usage w/wo profit, but have no complaint about a forum that post both your drone pictures and adds for whatever on the same page.

I don’t recall seeing anyone advertise on the forum.... not sure what you mean there Frogs.

I don't see the connection. The Ads you're seeing don't contribute to anyone who chooses to post vids & pics on this forum in the least.

I don't see the connection. The Ads you're seeing don't contribute to anyone who chooses to post vids & pics on this forum in the least.

His point is weak as not all people post videos/photos from their quad; however, he's trying to point out that a non licensed pilot cannot sell their services (make $$) yet this forum can make money from them. It's scemantics and I am not against sites putting ad's out so they can pay the bills.

My point is, it was said that no one advertises and that is not true. We have vendors on here that are known, have their company logo in their profile, etc.

Again, they are also super helpful and we all benefit from their experience and help. But, saying that there is no advertisement (blatant or not) is just not true. Knowing it or not.. we advertise for DJI every time we are flying our MP/Spark/etc and explain how great they are.

I think some of you are intentionally blind. Advertising pays for this forum. Just because members allow their photos to be used for free doesn't change that the forum is paying bills with money from someone. This page alone on my computer has four advertisements. Many of you think the OP realtor would be in violation if he "donated" his own pictures to his business (or so it appears by the comments). Those of you who post pictures for me to look at are acquiescing to the forum making money. Just for the record, I support whatever a photographer chooses to do with their own pictures. None of FAA's business !

I think some of you are intentionally blind. Advertising pays for this forum. Just because members allow their photos to be used for free doesn't change that the forum is paying bills with money from someone. This page alone on my computer has four advertisements. Many of you think the OP realtor would be in violation if he "donated" his own pictures to his business (or so it appears by the comments). Those of you who post pictures for me to look at are acquiescing to the forum making money. Just for the record, I support whatever a photographer chooses to do with their own pictures. None of FAA's business !

When did this become a COMEDY forum? LOL

When you make the decision to fly in the National Airspace it is very much the business of the FAA. If you think for one second it's not by all means go ahead and bust some significant FAR or better yet cause an incident. Can't say you didn't know better.

Reactions: TxArch DroneGuy
This page alone on my computer has four advertisements.

I'd check that rig for malware, I see just the usual one in the upper right

When I said that there were no advertising to my knowledge; I should have clarified that I meant there were no photographers advertising their service that I am aware of. Based off of frogs comment that’s what I thought he was alluding to. Not general advertising. Not intentionally blind, just couldn’t understand what exactly you were trying to say. Also, yes..... we post about rules and laws for a reason. If a guy who’s not licensed goes out and sells his photos that’s no different than a mechanic who runs an unlicensed business auto shop. Is he just as capable? Maybe... but shouldn’t he be held to the same standards as a legitimate and legally operated business? My answer is absolutely. There’s a difference between hobby and professional.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15