DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID - Does the Air2 Already Have it?

I do not believe so. I think you are thinking of ADS-B in the MA2, but that is just a receiver that sees manned aircraft sending out an ADS-B signal.

correct, see here:

Does MA2 have Remote ID?

So it will transmit the data you enter here. But will this be sufficient for upcoming remote ID requirements (like proposed by the FAA)?

From a technical point of view I think DJI is already able to provide even more information:

DJI Demonstrates Direct Drone-To-Phone Remote Identification

Reading through this article, they developed already an app as a prototype to prove this:

"Using a simple app, anyone within radio range of the drone can receive that signal and learn the location, altitude, speed and direction of the drone, as well as an identification number for the drone and the location of the pilot.

and further down:

.".virtually cost-free solution for drone Remote ID that can be implemented in many drones with just a software update.."

So technical speaking all these additional remote id information could be become real with a future firmware update.. but unless it is a legal requirement: do you want everyone with a smartphone watch your flight, location etc.??

Reactions: MA2 317
There is something in the app that allows you to put information in a couple of fields pertaining to a flight that I assume that is used for broadcasting?

The old Spark even had those fields in the app.

I think DJI hasn't activated it yet as I can't see what it does when trying it out a while back.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I don't think it does. DJI might have planned for it, but since they're officially bad guys, they might not have known enough about the details in time to engineer it in.

It is now a legal requirement that the RID be available to the public, implantation to be completed over the next few years. A good number of us are in disagreement in broadcasting the details of our flights, particularly our ground location, but are OK with broadcasting our ID, similar to a license plate.

Further to this discussion regarding remote I D I am wondering if some type of module would have to be attached to the MA2 and if so, do you think that this would increase the weight load and at the same time drain more battery power for the transmitter . I suspect that this would make for shorter flight times and poorer flight performance. This would be all together a very poor drone to fly. What do you think? Any further comments? The mini 2 is starting to look like a better drone to fly.

There are a lot of videos popping up on youtube in the last few days regarding this subject. I have watched several of them. Most are over 20 min long, and the ones from people who have actually read through the entire document are informative. But I think we are gonna have to keep an eye on how things play out over the next two years. If it is gonna be required even on used drones, then I imagine adding remote ID to older drones that didn't come with it is gonna have to be made super light and cost effective. Anybody know of companies that are already in development for this tyoe of product. Current tech that will most likely be used for this?

I wonder if DJI would bother to produce an RID module that fits the MA2? It would be a big advantage for DJI to sell more drones with built in RID rather than selling a module for existing MA2 ,s Any comments?

The Mavic Air 2 already has Remote ID. Please check your DJI Fly app settings to locate Remote ID.
First off WELCOME to the forum :) Interesting screen name :)

It's just a DJI type of Remote ID. Odds are that could be "configured" with a FW update to meet the new FAA requirement but as of right now it is NOT the official Remote ID (but hopefully will be).

As per the previous comment, I too hope that the DJI type of remote ID is going to work with the proper firmware update. Of course there is no guarantee that DJI can match the requirements of the FAA. I live in Canada and in the north country I suspect that the Canadian government might take a wait and see approach as to how the FAA will handle this technical issue. It is very interesting though to see that there is a menu item built into the Fly app for remote ID. This is very promising. I really like the look and features of the MA2. I am just waiting for the Spring to make the purchase

First off WELCOME to the forum :) Interesting screen name :)

It's just a DJI type of Remote ID. Odds are that could be "configured" with a FW update to meet the new FAA requirement but as of right now it is NOT the official Remote ID (but hopefully will be).
Even if simple firmware could enable the AC to transmit the info to FAA technical specifications, there's still the issue of reliably providing the RC location in the RID. Currently the only way that can be obtained is through the location the app provides based on the mobile device's capabilities. Many mobile devices don't have GPS hardware, and the RCs themselves definitely don't.
So we still have a hardware problem.

Even if simple firmware could enable the AC to transmit the info to FAA technical specifications, there's still the issue of reliably providing the RC location in the RID. Currently the only way that can be obtained is through the location the app provides based on the mobile device's capabilities. Many mobile devices don't have GPS hardware, and the RCs themselves definitely don't.
So we still have a hardware problem.
For Remote ID, the FAA is not requiring the RC to broadcast the location. Only the aircraft is required to do so.

For Remote ID, the FAA is not requiring the RC to broadcast the location. Only the aircraft is required to do so.

I've got a backup plan just in case the r/c needs identification. ?

Screenshot_20210104-105507.png

Yes, and that was @DanMan32 's point. The Aircraft needs to broadcast the RC's location. However, the RC only knows its own location if a mobile device with a GPS is attached to it, so how would the Airfract get and broadcast the remote's location for non-GPS mobile devices?

I wonder if without that, it could be classified as a Remote "module" which only has to broadcast the takeoff point, but is limited to VLOS if, in the future, other RID implementations are not limited VLOS.

Reactions: DanMan32
Yes, and that was @DanMan32 's point. The Aircraft needs to broadcast the RC's location. However, the RC only knows its own location if a mobile device with a GPS is attached to it, so how would the Airfract get and broadcast the remote's location for non-GPS mobile devices?

I wonder if without that, it could be classified as a Remote "module" which only has to broadcast the takeoff point, but is limited to VLOS if, in the future, other RID implementations are not limited VLOS.
The aircraft does not need to broadcast the RC's location. That is not in the Final Draft for Remote ID.

The aircraft does need to broadcast where and when it took off from.

The aircraft does not need to broadcast the RC's location. That is not in the Final Draft for Remote ID.

The aircraft does need to broadcast where and when it took off from.

This is not entirely correct. As I noted, there are two types of Remote ID:

1 - What the FAA calls "Standard" what we consider as built-in. This one is required to broadcast the location of the controller form the aircraft

2 - A remote ID module -- meant to be an add-on module, and this will broadcast the take-off point (and not the controller point, since it won't have it). This one has the additional restriction that the aircraft remain in VLOS, even if further rules or waivers allow beyond VLOS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom