DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

removing height limitation

Why do people still say this crap? FYI, there are >NO< FAA restrictions against flying your drone over 400 ft, The AMA has an ADVISORY to not fly over 400 ft. within 3 miles of an airport. Congress has directed the FAA to NOT make ANY regulations concerning model aircraft, and your drone (under 55 lbs.) falls squarely in that category.

Too bad that so many people have trouble with common sense, both in the FAA, and in the modeling community.

I remember the old days when I used to fly model rockets - 1000' was common, and in some cases pushing 2000'. We flew from a field, and scanned the horizon before launch...had no problems.

Last edited:
Since removing my height restrictions and rolling back FW. I have noted I don't have any advanced features like tripod, active track, etc. The icons are there, but I cannot draw a box or get "any' of them to work.

Why would anyone want to fly over 400ft. The mavic is too hard to see. Not to mention it's also against FAA rules. Quit posting these questions, it only draws attention that we don't want.

I would want this limitation to be turned off because this happened recently. I was hiking with friends and we were in a valley with a great waterfall that I wanted to get footage of. Well I was standing on the ground below the water fall and probably 200-300 feet below the top of the valley. Problem I was standing at an altitude over 500m. The unit took off and would not go higher than about 15ft in the air.

So there are times that it would be handy to turn this off.

Reactions: jcpkkmw
I remember the old days when I used to fly model rockets - 1000' was common, and in some cases pushing 2000'. We flew from a field, and scanned the horizon before launch...had no problems.

Yes, but most model rockets didn't weigh that much and were balsa, cardboard and maybe some plastic (if you had the fancy ones). They wouldn't do much to any other aircraft if they hit them. Plus they were only in the air for a minute.

I would want this limitation to be turned off because this happened recently. I was hiking with friends and we were in a valley with a great waterfall that I wanted to get footage of. Well I was standing on the ground below the water fall and probably 200-300 feet below the top of the valley. Problem I was standing at an altitude over 500m. The unit took off and would not go higher than about 15ft in the air.

Altitude is measured from takeoff point. Check your settings.

Why would anyone want to fly over 400ft. The mavic is too hard to see. Not to mention it's also against FAA rules. Quit posting these questions, it only draws attention that we don't want.
Educate yourself. Not an FAA rule.(as long as your flying hobbie)

Reactions: genesimmons

None of this information is correct. The FAA has no such 400' limit on hobby flight, the DJI has no such limit and the 500 meter limit is above the take off point, not sea level.

If the people genuinely want to fly up a mountain higher than 500m, you can try and land somewhere close to the limit, then take off again and the height will restart allowing you to go up another 500m.

If the people genuinely want to fly up a mountain higher than 500m, you can try and land somewhere close to the limit, then take off again and the height will restart allowing you to go up another 500m.
Could... but this is not practical in real life. Also, it resets the home point. Probably not the best is the connection is lost.

If you want to fly up a hill.... walk up part of the hill.

Could... but this is not practical in real life. Also, it resets the home point. Probably not the best is the connection is lost.

If you want to fly up a hill.... walk up part of the hill.

It's an option I suppose. You can set the home point to the RC as well.

And you have done this yourself?

So it sounds like you have no first hand knowledge of how this may or may not work?

I bet if you go the limit and try to land you'll lose connection.

No way, maybe if absolutely nothing in between and that's rare.

So it sounds like you have no first hand knowledge of how this may or may not work?

You just asked me the post before if I had tried it and I said yes but from a small hill. The ground level set to zero after taking off.

I don’t know for sure if it will work on a high mountain I only said you could try it. I thought I was a good idea.

I bet if you go the limit and try to land you'll lose connection.

I don’t see why it would. But even so, you don’t need to necessary land at the limit. You can go 450m up and land if you want to.

What happens when you land, turn off the motors and start up again? Have you ever done this? Does it reset the home point? Why it matter if this was done on the a mountain or any place else? That is, your own flights show that it would work.

My concern would be radio link. Landing however far away you would be and let’s say 1000 feet higher than takeoff point, line of sight to ac may not be adequate. May not be fun trudging up some mountain trying to find your ac that can’t communicate with your rc.

Reactions: Rnl
What happens when you land, turn off the motors and start up again? Have you ever done this? Does it reset the home point? Why it matter if this was done on the a mountain or any place else? That is, your own flights show that it would work.

That's right, why would it matter if it was done on a mountain or any other place? The drone doesn't "know" where it is.
I've taken off from the ground and landed and taken off again on a higher point such as the roof of my house plenty of times and the altitude resets to zero. I don't see why a mountain would be any different.
The home point resets to the new take off. You can set it to the RC if you want.

The only reason I can think of that this won't work is if the drone somehow remembers the original altitude even though it reads zero when you take off the second time. I haven't tested this because I don't want to break height limits but try this-
Take off from the ground and then land somewhere a bit higher. Anywhere a few feet higher will do. Turn the rotors off and restart them again. Then, take off and you will see the altitude reset to zero. Now, go up and if you can go all the way to 500m then your sweet. That means you just added 500m plus the height from the original take off.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer