DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RIP Droneto

Neto

Reactions
I knew it would be my turn one day.
Totally my fault, I should say.
I'll share my story so maybe it will help someone in the future.

===

Took off from my boat, exactly as I have done dozens of times.
Clear and sunny day here in Brazil, I grabbed some nice footage from an island nearby.
Not more than 1 mile from my boat.
At 32% battery, I decided to bring the MP back, but got a strong lateral wind, so battery was draining fast.
I kept a straight line to my boat until I found that....it wasn't my boat.
I was so worried about the batter I never looked the map that easily would have alerted me of the wrong heading.
But wait.
There's more.
Without battery to make home I decided to land in a green grass field, so I could rescue it.
Battery died just as I landed.
Not bad, I thought.
It just so happened that the "green grass field" was green, but it wasn't a field.
In fact, it was one of those muddy small plants that grow on water, you know?
The kind that is not strong enough to hold the Mavic.
To add insult to injury, the area is absolutely polluted with trash that stick to the roots of the plants.
Go, tiger. You are fearless, I said to myself, and dove onto the garbage hoping to find my now-terminal drone still breathing, crying for my help, hanging from some branch.
But no.
It was already in that place of heaven full of drones owned by stupid pilots.
Probably engulfed by underwater creatures.
I went back to the pier, with my clothes stinking.
Took a hot shower.
Now I'm driving home wearing my underwear.
It'll be hard to explain to cop.

===

Things I learned:

1. Never trust the camera only to head home when you are low on battery.
2. If you like to add a skin to your Mavic, do not use black. It's pretty hard to find at night. Use the most grotesque and contrasting color you can find.
Just a suggestion to DJI (I know there is a mod for this, but I think it will be a great addition to the factory version): a flashing LED that activates when the battery dies (powered by a small lithiun battery).

Well, that's it for now.
Please say something to cheer me up. Or not.

BTW, when will the next Mavic version be available?

Sorry to hear about your drone, but great story.

Why wait for the next one to come out? You can just buy a drone body and battery and use your existing controller, charger and spare batteries (if you have them) on another Mavic Pro.

===

Clear and sunny day here in Brazil, I grabbed some nice footage from an island nearby.
At 32% battery, I decided to bring the MP back, but got a strong lateral wind, so battery was draining fast.
I was so worried about the batter I never looked the map that easily would have alerted me of the wrong heading.
But wait.
There's more.
Without battery to make home I decided to land in a green grass field, so I could rescue it.
Not bad, I thought.
It just so happened that the "green grass field" was green, but it wasn't a field.
To add insult to injury, the area is absolutely polluted with trash that stick to the roots of the plants.
Go, tiger. You are fearless, I said to myself, and dove onto the garbage hoping to find my now-terminal drone still breathing, crying for my help, hanging from some branch.
But no.
Took a hot shower.

===

Things I learned:

2. If you like to add a skin to your Mavic, do not use black. It's pretty hard to find at night. Use the most grotesque and contrasting color you can find.
Just a suggestion to DJI (I know there is a mod for this, but I think it will be a great addition to the factory version): a flashing LED that activates when the battery dies (powered by a small lithiun battery).

Well, that's it for now.

Sorry for your loss mate.

Were you considering RTH button, providing the RTH point was set at your RC?

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Sorry for your loss mate.

Were you considering RTH button, providing the RTH point was set at your RC?

I didn't use the RTH at sea because usually the boat moves a lot...although I could surely set the home to my position...in the end I guess mistakes are made because of a habit :(
The more confident you are, the easier to make a stupid mistake...

===

But wait.
There's more.
Not bad, I thought.
But no.
Took a hot shower.

===

Things I learned:

Well, that's it for now.

I am so sorry for your loss. Although your story is so sad, I got really entertained. Cheer up! Maybe its time to get a new one. Yeah, you heard there'll be a new MP. Wait for it, and then hopefully you have learned your lesson.

===

But wait.
There's more.
Not bad, I thought.
But no.
Took a hot shower.

===

Things I learned:

Well, that's it for now.

Bummer, you took it well though and also had a good last minute ditch plan (albeit a flawed one, but that wasn't your fault). I was wondering what would have happened if you had landed on the other boat;). There are some screaming deals on EBay right now on the MP if you want to keep flying till the MPII comes out. Sorry again, that sounds like my worst nightmare:(. -CF

Bummer, you took it well though and also had a good last minute ditch plan (albeit a flawed one, but that wasn't your fault). I was wondering what would have happened if you had landed on the other boat;). There are some screaming deals on EBay right now on the MP if you want to keep flying till the MPII comes out. Sorry again, that sounds like my worst nightmare:(. -CF

Since I live in Brazil, a drone from eBay will cost a fortune in taxes :(
And here a new one costs almost US$ 2k
My best bet, since my daughter lives in NY is to find someone coming to Brazil that could bring it to me...

Since I live in Brazil, a drone from eBay will cost a fortune in taxes :(
And here a new one costs almost US$ 2k
My best bet, since my daughter lives in NY is to find someone coming to Brazil that could bring it to me...
Ouch, that makes your loss even worse:(. Sorry man, hope you get a new one soon! -CF

Ouch, that makes your loss even worse:(. Sorry man, hope you get a new one soon! -CF

yes...
Oh! BTH, you don't wanna come to Brazil by any chance, do you?
You can stay in my house.
;)

Can't she mail it to you?

nope...tax anyway.
In fact, there is a small chance customs doesn't check the package...but it is just luck.
And if they get, I should pay 100% tax over original price.
That's third world, my friend.
I really curious thing.
I could definitely understand a huge taxation to protect national industry.
But considering there is no drones made in Brazil, makes complete nonsense this kind of tax.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos