DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH or fly home?

i always fly home, but like others have stated, I test RTH a couple of times per week. Nice to know it's there should I ever need it.

Reactions: Sencorp
I've never used RTH although I should just to test it as others have pointed out, I prefer to keep full control over the drone as much as possible and use RTH when something has gone wrong.

Reactions: Rbruz
I almost never use IFM. I prefer to circle around on my own hand, or follow a subject myself. I do test RTH every firmware update just to make sure it works and I can rely on it if I screw up and lose control.

I've never used RTH although I should just to test it as others have pointed out, I prefer to keep full control over the drone as much as possible and use RTH when something has gone wrong.

Same with me, I did notice after this last upgrade that it reset my battery low warning so that was way annoying as I was flying over the ocean at an event and bamm that annoying sound started blasting with like 10min to go [emoji49][emoji49][emoji49]

I like to fly home, but I test RTH every now and then to see if everything is still working fine.

I reckon most who use it every flight, as well as auto take off and land, would learn a lot more by manually flying home and landing. You will be a better pilot if you don't rely on these automated features.

Reactions: Sencorp and Rbruz
I like to fly it back but from my normal take off spot, I have a small window to get my Mavic above the tree canopy(about 16ftx20ft) and RTH really isn't accurate enough for me to trust it to thread the needle. I've noticed home position usually means it'd land on the roof of my house and ruin my day.

If you have plenty of space and are done flying...hit RTH...why not.

It is no different than using cruise control in your car. There are times that you want to use it and others when you don't. It is a great feature to have available for when you want it or actually need it.

Reactions: Cbslagle
It is no different than using cruise control in your car. There are times that you want to use it and others when you don't. It is a great feature to have available for when you want it or actually need it.

Cruise control rarely cuts out, lots of things can ans do go wrong with rth I have never used it, been flying for so long we never had them features. Also things change in the 20min or so of flying you stay out longer etc and rtm isn't any guarantee to actually get back safe. I stick with los and manual an can't complain as I fly 95% places I have never been and trying to spend all the time to set rth height etc not worth it. I do use auto take off every time, just on the off chance simething crazy happens and loose connection, might have a chance it comes back

I don't know why, but when I have a high wind warning, RTH works 100% better than manual flying. I'll hover in the same spot for 2min with an indication of 1.5 mph, RTH gets it to 10 mph. No idea why.

Cruise control rarely cuts out, lots of things can ans do go wrong with rth I have never used it, been flying for so long we never had them features. Also things change in the 20min or so of flying you stay out longer etc and rtm isn't any guarantee to actually get back safe. I stick with los and manual an can't complain as I fly 95% places I have never been and trying to spend all the time to set rth height etc not worth it. I do use auto take off every time, just on the off chance simething crazy happens and loose connection, might have a chance it comes back
To each his own......options are great for the end user. I have had zero issues (knock on wood!) with using RTH and I have used it over 50 times to-date. And setting up the RTH altitude takes seconds if you even need to change it for a given flight/mission so I wouldn't consider this to even be a factor.

This reminds me of my dad back in the 80's when he would say " who needs power windows or power door locks...it is just one more thing to brake".......now it is almost a given that 90% of all cars have these features and we don't even think twice about using them.

I actually used it last Saturday when I was using active track to film my son doing laps on a motocross track in my SXS when he flipped it in a turn. I hit RTH and set the remote down and ran over to make sure he was OK. The drone landed autonomously while I focused on my sons safety. So other than the obvious, it was also pretty cool for others to see this take place while I was 50 yards away checking on my son. Had I not used RTH so much in the past and having confidence in it working, I would have been freaking out what to do.....do I try and land before going to check on my son or do I let it hover and hope the battery doesn't die while leaving it unattended......since I do use it frequently and it has always worked as advertised, it was a no-brainer for me to trust it to do it's job. My point is, using these features frequently and having confidence that they work can ultimately pay off down the road.

I use both. Lately been bringing it back in manually and practicing my flying since I'm new to this hobby. But will also use RTH if I'm being lazy or want it to come back quickly and efficiently without me getting off course along the way.

If only the flipping beeping would stop I would probably use it more. beep beep beep beep beep beep beep....

50% Return Home. 50% Manual. Depends on my mood,....and the situation. I am continually testing this expensive toy. I want to know if a problem will occur during a time when I have control. Hate to discover a problem when I MUST count on automation.
Guess it's the military training in myself. Alway's consider all possibilities and worst case scenario's,......then be ready to resolve.
For those in the "know." Ready to lead,.....ready to follow. Never quit.

Last edited:
I reckon most who use it every flight, as well as auto take off and land, would learn a lot more by manually flying home and landing. You will be a better pilot if you don't rely on these automated features.
In the early days I had customers come to me asking me to build them a drone. I would design them per application. So if you wanted one for DLSR missions then it would be made for that. If it was for mapping or inspection or fun ect. I would provide log books, check lists and user manuals. But, while it was being built I would also provide them with a foam shelled toy multi rotor to learn to fly on. The RTL , barometer control, compass , GPS ect, if it all was taken away in an instant , being able to control the flight from experience is I invaluable when it comes to saftey. I agree it's good to test but I'm like most. Use it only when absolutely needed. Control over your aircraft is best in my opinion.

Reactions: Kestrel and Rbruz
i use both, why not? that is what the modes are for, sometimes i have done what i want or need to do and someone will want to chat and have a smoke etc etc.

Then yes i will hit RTH, why should i not trust these systems, that is what i paid my money for too. if i cant use them i might as well just buy a cheaper drone and be done with it.

i have used RTH many times, like i say sometimes there are other distractions going on which makes RTH perfect even just for having a smoke break before another flight, chatting to people who come up and wanna ask a lot of stuff about the drone (great way to reassure people drones are safe and can do this kind of stuff).

It is normally one of the first things i am asked "can it fly itself"

and i love the gormless look on their faces as they stare into the sky for 5 minutes trying to spot a drone and they only see it when i ask em to move out the way before it lands on their heads.

Tech is built to be used, i don't buy a car and leave it in my garage in case it breaks down, or never use the seat belt just in case it does not work, or use the satnav in case i end up in a river.

If it has a use and a function i will use it.
It has auto take off too, but why would you use it? Some cars still have cigarette lighters, by your logic, its meant to be used so I guess people should take up smoking to make use of the cigarette lighter :rolleyes:.

It has auto take off too, but why would you use it? Some cars still have cigarette lighters, by your logic, its meant to be used so I guess people should take up smoking to make use of the cigarette lighter :rolleyes:.

yes that is their choice to do if they want, why not. What is your problem with using it, By your logic we will pay over a thousand bucks to do nothing that the drone is built to do.

You might as well go buy a nanodrone and fly it in your park right?

It is about choice not logic.

Don't cry when you have to use it and it fails as you cant be bothered to set it up coz it takes an extra minute or you never tested it i n real life conditions.

Like i said stick to the park and you can fly nice and safe and easy in your clean 50m radius.

Personally i cant understand why you would pay for it and not use it. Kind of like ordering a car with an ashtray when actually you could have just got a car without one, simple logic why did you buy a car with an ashtray to start with?

Maybe you just like to have the latest tech but are too frightened to let it do what it is meant to do?

After all its good to talk about to everyone right?

Oh and yes i use auto take off too, why not? you have given me no good reasons not to use it right?

Reactions: nomad33fw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djionas