DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH or fly home?

yes that is their choice to do if they want, why not. What is your problem with using it, By your logic we will pay over a thousand bucks to do nothing that the drone is built to do.

You might as well go buy a nanodrone and fly it in your park right?

It is about choice not logic.

Don't cry when you have to use it and it fails as you cant be bothered to set it up coz it takes an extra minute or you never tested it i n real life conditions.

Like i said stick to the park and you can fly nice and safe and easy in your clean 50m radius.

Personally i cant understand why you would pay for it and not use it. Kind of like ordering a car with an ashtray when actually you could have just got a car without one, simple logic why did you buy a car with an ashtray to start with?

Maybe you just like to have the latest tech but are too frightened to let it do what it is meant to do?

After all its good to talk about to everyone right?

Oh and yes i use auto take off too, why not? you have given me no good reasons not to use it right?
Lol its not one of those things where if you don't use it you lose it.. Its good to test every once and and awhile but my opinion is its an emergency option, not a crutch. And as far as using auto take off, I see no reason to use it. Its just another crutch.

I have a Phantom 3 standard and it has horrible range, when it went out of signal it would RTH. So it my eyes coming from a Phantom 3 standard its an emergency option.

Reactions: voongnz and Big Fil
Lol its not one of those things where if you don't use it you lose it.. Its good to test every once and and awhile but my opinion is its an emergency option, not a crutch. And as far as using auto take off, I see no reason to use it. Its just another crutch.
Yes but you have given me no good reason not to use it, Just because someone chooses to use it differently to you, You felt it a need to say i am flawed for using it.

You have given me no reason why i should not use it.

i have every respect if you want to fly manually, i asked the question why i should not use it if i have paid for it.

i have no care if anyone uses it or not, their choice. The Op simply asked who used it and who did not.

i said yes and why not.

Now if you can give me a really good reason not to use it then i will take that on board and maybe not use it.

Reactions: Saylor101
Yes but you have given me no good reason not to use it, Just because someone chooses to use it differently to you, You felt it a need to say i am flawed for using it.

You have given me no reason why i should not use it.

i have every respect if you want to fly manually, i asked the question why i should not use it if i have paid for it.

i have no care if anyone uses it or not, their choice. The Op simply asked who used it and who did not.

i said yes and why not.

Now if you can give me a really good reason not to use it then i will take that on board and maybe not use it.
Use it all you want but its a crutch if you use it all the time. If you can't fly back to where you came from then you need to practice flying more without the aid of the Mavic.

wow, this got derailed in a hurry! Just because you use an automated feature doesn't mean it is a crutch or that you don't know how to fly. It is a convenience feature for the most part and a safety feature in an emergency situation. It would be like saying don't use any of the intelligent flight modes because you should fly it manually otherwise you must not know how to fly......

However, I do agree that all pilots should know how to fly under duress and wish that the Mavic had a way to enable ATTI mode so we could fly without all of the flight control system aids as one day down the road it could make the difference between crashing or not.....

wow, this got derailed in a hurry! Just because you use an automated feature doesn't mean it is a crutch or that you don't know how to fly. It is a convenience feature for the most part and a safety feature in an emergency situation. It would be like saying don't use any of the intelligent flight modes because you should fly it manually otherwise you must not know how to fly......

However, I do agree that all pilots should know how to fly under duress and wish that the Mavic had a way to enable ATTI mode so we could fly without all of the flight control system aids as one day down the road it could make the difference between crashing or not.....
There is a difference between using an automated feature to get a certain shot and ALWAYS using return to home to come home. To me that sounds like 1 or 2 things. 1. You aren't confident in your own ability to come home and need to practice more or 2. You are so far out there you have no idea which direction is home. which in that case you could still use your map to get you home. RTH in my mind just leaves to much "up in the air" for things to go wrong. If I can control it manually then I can avoid objects like trees and such. I know you can set your RTH altitude and all that but i'd rather only use it if I had to. Leaving the controls in my hands has and always will be the best option for me.

to each his own.....now let's get the thread back on track and let others simply state what they prefer to do so the OP can get a consensus and not listen to everyone's passionate reasons why one way or the other is right or wrong.

Use it all you want but its a crutch if you use it all the time. If you can't fly back to where you came from then you need to practice flying more without the aid of the Mavic.
Why the aids are there for a reason, to be used. :)

And who said i could not fly without them. AS SAID I USE BOTH

to each his own.....now let's get the thread back on track and let others simply state what they prefer to do so the OP can get a consensus and not listen to everyone's passionate reasons why one way or the other is right or wrong.
It's called a discussion, if you only want black and white answers perhaps start a poll..

Reactions: Gary cato
Why the aids are there for a reason, to be used. :)

And who said i could not fly without them. AS SAID I USE BOTH
Nobody said you can't use them, I even in my post said use it all you want. It doesn't bother me but my opinion is what I said.

Nobody said you can't use them, I even in my post said use it all you want. It doesn't bother me but my opinion is what I said.
We all have heard your opinion multiple times on this thread now. Let others make their comments without having to critique them for it....

Fly it home - but test RTH from time to time so you're familiar with its behaviour and make sure that it is set the way you believe it is.

Yesterday I was doing POI flights (with a P4P). After that I flew away to see how far I could see the drone disappear (new eyeglass prescription) and re-appear.

Then I decided to test RTH. Instead of climbing to 91 m (as programmed) for the return it simply started coming back at 45 m. WTF?

When I then checked the RTH settings it was set at a whopping low 20 m.

Somehow when setting up POI I set a different RTH height. I haven't had time to re-do the sequence to see how I F'd up...

All that to say that RTH is a tool in the bag (as is POI) and one had better know what's what and how-to.

Reactions: Rbruz
I usually fly several batteries worth at a time. I often also have other camera gear out at the same time.
I'll fly her Home manually each time to change batteries but when I'm done for the day or changing locations, I sometimes hit RTH so I can start packing up my stuff wile the Mavic flys home automatically but always watching the screen with my hand on the controller at all times.(just in case)

A friend on mine uses it every time he takes his phantom in.

Reactions: Sencorp
Fly it home - but test RTH from time to time so you're familiar with its behaviour and make sure that it is set the way you believe it is.

Yesterday I was doing POI flights (with a P4P). After that I flew away to see how far I could see the drone disappear (new eyeglass prescription) and re-appear.

Then I decided to test RTH. Instead of climbing to 91 m (as programmed) for the return it simply started coming back at 45 m. WTF?

When I then checked the RTH settings it was set at a whopping low 20 m.

Somehow when setting up POI I set a different RTH height. I haven't had time to re-do the sequence to see how I F'd up...

All that to say that RTH is a tool in the bag (as is POI) and one had better know what's what and how-to.

Why I don't care for it, flying new places often and quick like I don't have time to measure let alone guess what rth height works. Just best for me to fly grab media then come in manually and roll. Then again I'm used to landing rc stuff on cliffs since the 80's and always los

Don't eanna trim some random tree and ruin my bird in some Costa Rica jungle.

Why I don't care for it, flying new places often and quick like I don't have time to measure let alone guess what rth height works. Just best for me to fly grab media then come in manually and roll. Then again I'm used to landing rc stuff on cliffs since the 80's and always los

Don't eanna trim some random tree and ruin my bird in some Costa Rica jungle.
So you don't bother setting a RTH altitude for your given flights? What do you think will happen if you lose signal? Do you have it set to hover, RTH or land? Kind of gambling that you won't ever need t ouse it....

So you don't bother setting a RTH altitude for your given flights? What do you think will happen if you lose signal? Do you have it set to hover, RTH or land? Kind of gambling that you won't ever need t ouse it....

Topic is do you rtm or fly back manually for thread, now my latest comment was to the guy noticing his rth was reset and to low. Many updates reset settings, including rtm and the list is long. To answer your question, I try to look around then imput dbl height of my guess for rtm as it is set to rtm if signal lost. On surf trips its moot as I fly low and fast and rth is fine at 20'-30' so I don't sweat hitting a tree

Felipe de Sayulita ! | SkyPixel.com

Now I am leaving for Panama mid May and shooting a 1,250acre jungle we will develope so that height I will really need to figure out, however I will again manually bring the bird in unlesss the signal or what not gets fuked with.

75% of the time I use RTH on controller
Usually land manually or hand catch once close by.

I only use RTH to show off how cool the tech is and a few times when I lost signal. Ok once I used it when I realized I wasn't going to make it home due to wind so I had it RTH while I ran to my car and drove to it to meet it half way and get it over a park before forced landing.

Reactions: Rbruz
I only use RTH to show off how cool the tech is and a few times when I lost signal. Ok once I used it when I realized I wasn't going to make it home due to wind so I had it RTH while I ran to my car and drove to it to meet it half way and get it over a park before forced landing.

Funny award !!! [emoji882]

I'm of the opinion that you never want to turn control over to an automatic system unless there is no other choice. Why open the door for possible failure. But to each there own.
I'm with tcope on this. That is an emergency feature, not a convenience. ALWAYS KEEP VISUAL CONTACT AND FLY YOUR BIRD HOME.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52