DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saved by the Police!

I'd have just told her that I was using my telescope to spy on her daughter, not my drone.

World's full of ingnorance. I would have said "Wait, let me give you my pocket camera with 34x zoom, I might use this to spy as well...you'd better save me from my perversion"

Once, while flying at a remote location, a hiker remarked in a loud voice that he wished he had a gun. I replied that I wished the same. The only other attention I have received has been from people who are interested in drones, including a middle aged couple who were considering making a purchase and decided on the spot that they would buy a DJI Phantom 3 Professional as that was what I was flying at the time.

Can I ask at what altitude you were flying at? I usually fly at 350 feet which is near the legal maximum just to avoid crazies like that accusing me of spying on them. If there is no one around I I drop altitude just to get a good shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using MavicPilots mobile app

For this particular flight I was just over 200 feet. I wanted to stay at a decent enough altitude to see if I can replicate the watercolor look on trees and grass lol

I do most off my flying in a farmers field I know. After one outing he had a phone call from a local politician complaining about someone was flying a spy drone in the field. He told them to bugger off is his field and I'm a relation to him and I've got insurance and she probably didn't for her dog walking in his field.
There was no mention about my mates massive nitro helicopter just a spy drone.
Another time I was up in our local hills early in the morning to miss everyone and a old lady came up to chat and wanted a go until she seen the controller.
She was well impressed with it and her words still stick with me now we all have to learn to live with each other.

Reactions: ic0nic
One time when I took my dog to the local dog park, I took a few pictures of my small Cocker Spaniel - Chihuahua mix happily playing with some other dogs. A few minutes later a woman owner of one of the other dogs called me over and told me that it was "illegal" for me to take pictures of her dog and that she was going to call the police. I calmly told her that, no, taking pictures in a public park is not "illegal" and that as far as I was concerned she was welcome to call the police and that I would stay right there and wait for them.

The bottom line is that there are some people out there who are just mentally ill. And, no, the police never showed up. I can just imagine them picking up the phone and answering "Uhhhh, yes Ma'am? You say that someone was illegally taking pictures of dogs at the dog park? Uhhhh......yeah......".

If this had been me the Title of the thread would have been "Woman saved by the Police". No way on earth is anybody touching my Drone without my permission. It boils my blood just to think that someone would have the nerve to even try something like that.

As Master Yoda would say.

Touch my drone, only regret will you find .

Reactions: Jake Galloway
I was flying in a park this past weekend, which is fairly large and has two baseball fields at the far end of it. After a few minutes of flight a woman started to walk over towards me. This happens quite a bit, especially with my Inspire and is usually some interested people who think its pretty cool. This woman however, was very irate the second she walked up to me, claiming I was a pervert for spying on her daughter who was playing soccer at the end of the field. I informed her I was not spying on her daughter and that I was simply flying to compare video between the two quads (Inspire & Mavic). After several minutes of bickering she decided I was entirely in the wrong and called the police. Before the police arrived, my battery was getting low so I brought it in to land, where she picked it up and took it from me.

The police arrived, and very politely asked if I was obeying regulations (400', etc etc) and then informed the woman that I had every right to fly where I was flying. They told her she needed to give me back my property or she'd be arrested. The look on her face was the most satisfying experience :D Anyway, she handed back my Mavic and walked away. One of the officers was also a fellow hobbyist and was excited to see a Mavic in person.

A rambling story I know, but its good to see that not all officers are ill-informed when it comes to these things.
It's nice to know there are officers that do understand. When I was in the international airport, I found an active duty police officer who was a hobbyist and flies an Inspire and he noticed I was carrying my Mavic. We had a pleasant conversation, and he wanted me to fire it up to see it in action. Of course we were responsible and he was totally impressed that he wants to get one himself too. Of course I didn't fly it, just switched the drone on since it was inside a NFZ and didn't want any thing to glitch out mid flight.

You were VERY well mannered to not try to take back your property. I cant say I would show the same restraint if someone took my $1000 investment and refused to return it.
My thoughts exactly. I may have throttled down my Mavic, and throttled her.

It's interesting that there seems to be an equal number of loons and an equal number of people in power who make their minds up about drones/quads just like they do firearms. A lot of people change their minds once they've been properly educated and had a professional show them that drones/firearms are toys and tools and it's the person using it that determines its morality.

I have a similar story (although this person didn't try to take my done from me)
I was at my parents place, they live in a suburban area.
I took my Mavic off from their back garden, and was flying above their house - In fact I was studying my parents roof for them, as they had some work done on the tiles, and my Dad wanted to see the quality of the work done.
Then the guy that lives behind my parents stormed over to the fence, and started shouting at me saying "You are not allowed to fly that thing around here" to which I replied "In fact, I am allowed. This is uncontrolled class G airspace, and above my property - I know the law, and I always fly within the rules"
He then tried to tell me that I was wrong, and he then started to tell me in a round about way that I was a pervert (his children were playing in his back garden) - he was basically saying I was trying to film his kids - which I certainly was not. This guy was being a total d1ck about it. He then says "Right.... I'm going to call the Police"
Then my Parents' next door neighbor overheard the argument (he's an ex British Airways pilot, and he still flies privately) - he waded in, and told the guy I was flying completely legally. He still wouldn't listen. I even opened the NATS Drone Assist app on my phone to show this guy that the airspace was fine to fly in.
Anyway - he didn't call the Police after all.
It really annoys me when people react like that. In my experience, you either get people who are super interested and want to know more - or the polar opposite, people who literally want to snatch the drone away from you / call the police. There doesn't seem to be any in-between.

Reactions: ic0nic
It's interesting that there seems to be an equal number of loons and an equal number of people in power who make their minds up about drones/quads just like they do firearms. A lot of people change their minds once they've been properly educated and had a professional show them that drones/firearms are toys and tools and it's the person using it that determines its morality.

I don't know why you thought it was appropriate or a good idea to try to bring in the issue of guns and gun control into the discussion.

maybe because they share this same fear and paranoia by people who don't know anything about either... kinda like my post suggests...

Exactly , spot on . The media also blows each one way out of proportion . I wonder how many people would be even concerned about a toy drone if the media just shut the heck up .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje