DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saved by the Police!

Jake Galloway

Reactions
I was flying in a park this past weekend, which is fairly large and has two baseball fields at the far end of it. After a few minutes of flight a woman started to walk over towards me. This happens quite a bit, especially with my Inspire and is usually some interested people who think its pretty cool. This woman however, was very irate the second she walked up to me, claiming I was a pervert for spying on her daughter who was playing soccer at the end of the field. I informed her I was not spying on her daughter and that I was simply flying to compare video between the two quads (Inspire & Mavic). After several minutes of bickering she decided I was entirely in the wrong and called the police. Before the police arrived, my battery was getting low so I brought it in to land, where she picked it up and took it from me.

The police arrived, and very politely asked if I was obeying regulations (400', etc etc) and then informed the woman that I had every right to fly where I was flying. They told her she needed to give me back my property or she'd be arrested. The look on her face was the most satisfying experience :D Anyway, she handed back my Mavic and walked away. One of the officers was also a fellow hobbyist and was excited to see a Mavic in person.

A rambling story I know, but its good to see that not all officers are ill-informed when it comes to these things.

I was flying in a park this past weekend, which is fairly large and has two baseball fields at the far end of it. After a few minutes of flight a woman started to walk over towards me. This happens quite a bit, especially with my Inspire and is usually some interested people who think its pretty cool. This woman however, was very irate the second she walked up to me, claiming I was a pervert for spying on her daughter who was playing soccer at the end of the field. I informed her I was not spying on her daughter and that I was simply flying to compare video between the two quads (Inspire & Mavic). After several minutes of bickering she decided I was entirely in the wrong and called the police. Before the police arrived, my battery was getting low so I brought it in to land, where she picked it up and took it from me.

The police arrived, and very politely asked if I was obeying regulations (400', etc etc) and then informed the woman that I had every right to fly where I was flying. They told her she needed to give me back my property or she'd be arrested. The look on her face was the most satisfying experience :D Anyway, she handed back my Mavic and walked away. One of the officers was also a fellow hobbyist and was excited to see a Mavic in person.

A rambling story I know, but its good to see that not all officers are ill-informed when it comes to these things.
Glad it worked out for you man. Some of these people who complain are genuinely out of their minds, and think that everyone flying a drone is out to do them or their family harm. Absolutely nuts that this woman thought she had the right to take your property.

Curious how someone can take your property like that and hold it "hostage" like that. Like lady get off your high horse because probably no one wants to spy on your spoiled daughter!

As soon as she picked it up I knew this was gonna be good. Either she breaks it and is gonna have to buy me a new one, or she'll be forced to give it back. Either way it was a win win for me!

Last edited:
You were VERY well mannered to not try to take back your property. I cant say I would show the same restraint if someone took my $1000 investment and refused to return it.

If she didn't already call the police, I probably would have! She wasn't very bright to have called the police and then commit a crime lol

Glad it worked out for you man. Some of these people who complain are genuinely out of their minds, and think that everyone flying a drone is out to do them or their family harm. Absolutely nuts that this woman thought she had the right to take your property.

It still blows my mind, I mean you see this kind of behavior with videos on youtube of crazy people reacting to drones. But I never thought it would actually involve myself :D

I'd have just told her that I was using my telescope to spy on her daughter, not my drone.

I question how people can be so clueless. Only thing done here was the theft of your personal property. Then she calls the police.... on herself.

Well restrained for not back handing her ; ) .

I haven't encountered any of that behaviour yet , although my flying times limited, I however don't suffer fools and if someone needs learning then I m happy to oblige.

I still get confused why people think that drone operators are using the drone to spy on people. I mean they are not the quietest things around (swarm of angry bees) and you need to be really low to get any type of detail of people which takes the whole spy thing out.

My story was with my neighbor who came out and was like hey that thing got a camera? Don't be spying on me! I told him yes its has a camera but invited him over to check it out. Once he saw how it worked and saw the video feed he was cool with it and stated he wanted to pick one up for himself. I believe its best to teach and educated people if your out flying if they have questions or concerns. But you will always have those few who are Crazy :confused:

Glad to hear all turn out alright for ya. Thumbswayup

I've been flying since the FC40 came out years ago, frequently at that and this is my first experience with this type of situation. You'd think she was joking at first with how clueless and serious she was.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: ic0nic and Prop_Nut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan