DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saved by the Police!

Most of my negative experiences have been women with one exception.. I'm puzzled why the hatred toward drone pilots. It is a bit mysterious.

Despicable! Somebody needs to take her out....and drop her off a bridge for lying and being just ugly . Don't be ugly.....and be ugly![emoji35] ugly inside and out.

Sent from [emoji211]

Since I doubt she knew how to double tap the battery on the drone to turn it off I would have been tempted to CSC the motors on while she was holding it. Tempted, but I hope I would restrain myself.

Anybody who is thinking of CSC the drone while somebody has it in their hands had better get that idea out of their head.
You will seriously injure the person and they will no doubt crush the Mavic with their foot. Then when the police arrive your going to be in a world of problems that might end with a huge lawsuit for the injuries the person sustained. We could debate all day about why they are in the wrong but at the end of the day I just don't think a judge is going to rule in your favor.

IMHO it's either you just ask back for your property and if that does not work start filming the person with the drone in their hands while your asking for it back and if that does not work then physically get it back with the minimum force necessary or just call the police. We really need to establish a case when someone does this kind of thing so that the police and Media acknowledge the fact that the Drone has to be treated the same as any other piece of stolen property.

Most of my negative experiences have been women with one exception.. I'm puzzled why the hatred toward drone pilots. It is a bit mysterious.

Women associate drones with peeping toms. There are videos on YouTube to reinforce that kind of thinking. It also does not help that several incidents of male teens using drones to peep into women's bedrooms have been reported and publicized on the news.

Actually the news media do utilize drones. I know the video/photographers for a large newspaper and a tv station. In fact when I was waiting so long in the autumn to get my Mavik I reached out to them for help.
They say the drones are much less expensive then using the helicopters, which they still use predominantly, but find the drones perfect for certain shots and areas that are not easy to get to by the big helis. They also told me the bosses like that it costs a lot less to use then a full size helicopter.

Since I doubt she knew how to double tap the battery on the drone to turn it off I would have been tempted to CSC the motors on while she was holding it. Tempted, but I hope I would restrain myself.

Yes ignorance and fear are driving the laws. I was out to dinner with a group of people last night and one woman saw on the news this week:
It is illegal to fly in our town. The reporter asks the audience "Do you want a drone flying over your home?" Of course the man/woman on the street answered, absolutely not.

Question for the group:
What do you think of having the rules state that we are allowed to fly over homes to get from point A to point B, as long as we fly between 200-400 feet and don't hover over anyone, any home, office or person?

I have to say the OP was so calm and cool and also the above video of the lady sticking the drone under her shirt, man you guys are good I'm sorry I know myself and that is not how it would have went down with me, which is the reason I hope something like this never happens to me. Imagine the B--LS that some nut feels they can take your expensive property like that. I am glad in the end it worked out for both these guys. I'm telling you that one day one of these uninformed nuts are going to do that to the wrong person and possibly get themselves hurt, I'm NOT condoning violence at all ( I would like to state that for the record ) but to some degree these guys were both robbed which is a CRIME. So in the end I know these guys were happy to get their property back, but at the same token these guys were not doing anything wrong and I feel like because people are either stupid nuts or uninformed,I feel it's the same as walking in the park and someone comes and takes your property, your not going to just stand for that!!!. I know we will never get all of these uninformed people to stop their actions, but like some of the above posts we need to get the word out somehow that the vast majority of us hobbist are not looking to HURT,SPY,BE RECKLESS to the public at large. HAPPY FLYING TO ALL be safe fly safe

I have Google Glass. It's been discontinued now but I still love mine. I wear it when I'm at the Zoo or on a hike or whatever. I can wink and take a quick picture. It's exactly like pulling out a cell phone to snap a picture of a Zebra or Monkey except it's more convenient. And you can check your text messages, get a Google Map, share a pic or even send out a short email. Very cool.

Most people are super interested. I always stop (even when I'm busy) and let them try it on, explain things and show it to them. 999/1000 times it's a very positive experience. But rarely things go sideways.

I had one guy ask me if I could look things up about him. I said "only if you are on the sex offender registry". That's actually true but it doesn't work very well. Freaked him right out. Maybe he was on it?

The other question I get (rarely) is "Are you recording me!?". Ugggh. Like I have time for that? Reviewing thousands of hours of crowd video is what the FBI makes you do for a punishment when you mess up. It's literally the worst job in the world. Nobody is recording everything you are doing and nobody cares!

I could explain that Glass has a very limited battery and not much storage. It only records 10 second clips unless you extend the recording manually and then only for a few minutes before it overheats.

But I've kinda given up on the long reply. People who ask that question are already paranoid and think you are spying on them and there's not much you can do to change that mindset. Now my reply is "I will if you like! Do something interesting, K?"

Great to hear , I am going through the same thing right now. On January 29th I had a my drone taken from me today at 12:30 I'm supposed to meet a police officer at the police department and get my mavic back. I was told that the DA's office would not press any charges it was not a felony theft it was a civil matter. In the state of California any theft over $950 is a felony

Sent from my SM-G930V using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm telling you that one day one of these uninformed nuts are going to do that to the wrong person and possibly get themselves hurt,

One can only hope so but I doubt it will happen.
Humans are very good at deciding who they should mes with versus who they should leave alone. If your 6'3" and 220lbs with a "I will put my boot up your A$$" looking face, you can fly your drone almost anywhere and the most that will happen is that someone might call the police. Even another guy of the same size won't mess with you because he is not taking the chance that he gets his Arse handed to him over a drone argument.

There are always exceptions of when looks can be deceiving like the 67 year old Vietnam Vet guy on that famous YouTube video.

Reactions: shuddee
I agree with the idea of a 6'-3" guy not getting hassled, but the idea of anyone stealing my property infuriates me to no end. I have to say it again that I know I could never have handled myself as well as the OP and the other guy in the above video did. I believe if you take my property with no intention of returning it that's stealing ( A CRIME ) as far as I'm concerned. These closed minded leftist who believe, because they think they are right that they could do whatever they want and everyone else is wrong. The OP was accused of spying on the girls playing soccer, so I guess anyone standing on the sidelines was spying or some kind of pervert???. Really shows you what kind of NUT that farm animal was. These people are so far left they don't even know the right exist.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I was flying in a park this past weekend, which is fairly large and has two baseball fields at the far end of it. After a few minutes of flight a woman started to walk over towards me. This happens quite a bit, especially with my Inspire and is usually some interested people who think its pretty cool. This woman however, was very irate the second she walked up to me, claiming I was a pervert for spying on her daughter who was playing soccer at the end of the field. I informed her I was not spying on her daughter and that I was simply flying to compare video between the two quads (Inspire & Mavic). After several minutes of bickering she decided I was entirely in the wrong and called the police. Before the police arrived, my battery was getting low so I brought it in to land, where she picked it up and took it from me.

The police arrived, and very politely asked if I was obeying regulations (400', etc etc) and then informed the woman that I had every right to fly where I was flying. They told her she needed to give me back my property or she'd be arrested. The look on her face was the most satisfying experience :D Anyway, she handed back my Mavic and walked away. One of the officers was also a fellow hobbyist and was excited to see a Mavic in person.

A rambling story I know, but its good to see that not all officers are ill-informed when it comes to these things.
In the State of Florida she commuted a theft simply by taking and holding the MP, and because of the value of the MP the theft would be a felony.

In Florida you would have had to tell the police you didn't wish to prosecute for the offense.

Great to hear , I am going through the same thing right now. On January 29th I had a my drone taken from me today at 12:30 I'm supposed to meet a police officer at the police department and get my mavic back. I was told that the DA's office would not press any charges it was not a felony theft it was a civil matter. In the state of California any theft over $950 is a felony

Sent from my SM-G930V using MavicPilots mobile app

Care to share the details of your situation?

Reactions: RobP62
Lots of patience on Jake's part. Well handled!

I try my best to be calm during this type of situation and consciously have to fight my blood beginning to boil. It takes lots of practice. Breathing deeply helps.
I try and reduce my rage as the other person increases thiers. As they go up I try and go down. Does not always work, but I know in the end I could make things much worse by employing knee jerk reactions.

I'll share one of my experiences.

Was flying out over the Lake in Tahoe on a trail that I hiked down and was in front of a Scenic View point. This was in my Phantom 3 days "pre-Mavic". Just flying along minding my own business with just water below me and I hear some guy standing up on the Scenic Vista (where lots of people were watching my flight) yell " Hey thats MY drone" I yelled back up " Well come down here and take it" I heard some people laugh and I thought that was the end of it. Then about 5 minutes later he again yelled " There's MY Drone" I repeated the same thing "Well come down here and take it"

He never came anywhere near me and did not venture down the trail.

It reinforced the concept in my mind that there is "always one in the crowd".

For every 10 people there is one 4SSH0le. Now I take my pepper spray and hold it outstretched and ask if they like spicy things.

Pepper spray is no lethal and I can hold my breath for quite some time. :p

Lots of patience on Jake's part. Well handled!

I try my best to be calm during this type of situation and consciously have to fight my blood beginning to boil. It takes lots of practice. Breathing deeply helps.
I try and reduce my rage as the other person increases thiers. As they go up I try and go down. Does not always work, but I know in the end I could make things much worse by employing knee jerk reactions.

I'll share one of my experiences.

Was flying out over the Lake in Tahoe on a trail that I hiked down and was in front of a Scenic View point. This was in my Phantom 3 days "pre-Mavic". Just flying along minding my own business with just water below me and I hear some guy standing up on the Scenic Vista (where lots of people were watching my flight) yell " Hey thats MY drone" I yelled back up " Well come down here and take it" I heard some people laugh and I thought that was the end of it. Then about 5 minutes later he again yelled " There's MY Drone" I repeated the same thing "Well come down here and take it"

He never came anywhere near me and did not venture down the trail.

It reinforced the concept in my mind that there is "always one in the crowd".

For every 10 people there is one 4SSH0le. Now I take my pepper spray and hold it outstretched and ask if they like spicy things.

Pepper spray is no lethal and I can hold my breath for quite some time. :p

Gotta love people like that. It kind of reminds me of that one kid on the block that would always do the same thing "Hey thats mine!"

In all seriousness, I was able to handle it the way I did because I was thinking of the end result. The second she picked it up I knew it was a win for me, either she takes it or breaks it and owes me a new one, or she's forced to give it back in which I'd savor those few seconds she realizes her defeat. Of course, I would have much rather knocked her out, which would give me a great story to tell for a while lol

Gotta love people like that. It kind of reminds me of that one kid on the block that would always do the same thing "Hey thats mine!"

In all seriousness, I was able to handle it the way I did because I was thinking of the end result. The second she picked it up I knew it was a win for me, either she takes it or breaks it and owes me a new one, or she's forced to give it back in which I'd savor those few seconds she realizes her defeat. Of course, I would have much rather knocked her out, which would give me a great story to tell for a while lol

Fighting a girl is always a losing proposition. If you win you beat up a girl and if you lose, well, you got beat up by a girl. Both those scenarios are losers for different reasons.

Fighting a girl is always a losing proposition. If you win you beat up a girl and if you lose, well, you got beat up by a girl. Both those scenarios are losers for different reasons.
Not always! Let the girl fight and you do nothing. Happens in this video with a happy ending.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada