DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SeaTac LAANC

Parkerjh

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Are there other major international airports where you can get LAANC to fly over one of the main terminals with 747s parked at the gate?

1651706002393.png

someone else will comment.. but I would think it would be very hard for anyone getting permission to fly in an actual airport... And it would not be automatic LAANC.

someone else will comment.. but I would think it would be very hard for anyone getting permission to fly in an actual airport... And it would not be automatic LAANC.
No, it is automatic. I got it instantly....

1651708618076.png

Attachments

• 1651708561356.png
    1651708561356.png
    447.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Torque
Well. Would’ja look at that. Zooming out, it appears all runways are North/South, kinda unusual.

Traffic pattern = Left, meaning that aircraft are on the downwind leg over your planned operations.

I guess the tower is keeping them high enough and/or far enough from the runway that they can make 50’ AGL for drones work - seems generous!

Well. Would’ja look at that. Zooming out, it appears all runways are North/South, kinda unusual.

Traffic pattern = Left, meaning that aircraft are on the downwind leg over your planned operations.

I guess the tower is keeping them high enough and/or far enough from the runway that they can make 50’ AGL for drones work - seems generous!

Yeah, all of that and at 50', sure, nothing is flying over there in that grid and probably safe. I just have not seen any other major airport in US that does not have 0' grids around entirety of airport property. Just wild to me that you can legally fly right over the terminal and check out the aircraft taxiing and sitting at gates.

And to the previous question: no, I did not fly there. I thought about it but then decided against it. I've done lots of legal flights with proper approvals and following all the letters of the law but still had hassles and headaches and didn't really have time for that.

I wonder how often this request gets granted? Light aircraft transition East/West midfield over the airport regularly enough that I would think tossing in a low priority drone request would be challenging to juggle into the traffic. I'm intrigued

They almost never fly left/right traffic at SEA as 99.9% of traffic are straight in to rwys 16/32...with occasional go-arounds which tend to fly much wider after being handed off to SEA Departure

Reactions: Torque
An interesting situation for sure. Although you are pretty far from an active runway and limited to 50 FT, I am not sure why they would allow anyone to be able to fly over aircraft going to and departing from gates, seems odd to me.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs