DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Serious gimbal issues with my brand new Mavic Pro

Stolz

Reactions
Sadly, my first post in the community is regarding issues.

I have had my Mavic Pro for a week now and I'm already experiencing serious issues with the gimbal to the point I can't fly anymore. Every time I turn on my aircraft I get one of these two behaviors:

A) The gimbal starts shaking quickly and violently in random directions non stop until I have to switch off the aircraft to prevent damage. Worth to note it already happened before even my first flight. When I turn on the aircraft for the first time, at home, without propellers, it already showed that issue. Since the firmware it shipped with was not the latest I assumed a firmware upgrade will fix it. It did not.

B) The gimbal spins erratically but not as quick as in A), for about 5 seconds before it settles down and then under overall status on the DJI app it posts two messages:

1. Gimbal motor overloaded. Check weather gimbal clamp is removed.
  2. Gimbal is restarting. Check that gimbal rotates smoothly if restart fails again.

Then the process starts repeating itself in a loop and the gimbal gets very hot.

It it happens every single time I turn on the aircraft. The gimbal doesn't respond to clicking auto-calibration. If I keep turning on and off the aircraft I eventually can fly normally (usally after 1 hour of trying and after wasting 25% of the aircraft battery and remote).

Before someone starts asking obvious questions:

• I removed all the stickers from gimbal, camera and aircraft.
  • The gimbal and camera are properly seated where they should be under the tabs (two in the front, one in the rear) and the 4 rubber hooks are properly attached.
  • The gimbal clamp and hood are always on during transportation and removed right before turning the aircraft on.
  • I never turned on the aircraft with the clamp on.
  • I never crashed or had a hard landing with the aircraft (I had only 2 flights and mostly in beginners mode).
  • I'm in the latest firmware and using latest version of DJI GO 4 app for Android.
  • I've tried calibrating the compass and IMU. It didn't work.
  • Calibrating the gimbal is unavailable (nothing happens when I tap that option in the DJI 4 app. No submenu shows up).
  • I've tried factory reset.
  • I never take off from grass or unlevel surfaces (I bought a foldable landing pad for that).

So, is there any known solution or workaround?. I do have DJI care but after waiting for 4 months for my Mavic and with Chinese new year next week (no DJI support during those days) I don't want to wait another month+ to start using my drone.

I had very similar issues with my new Mavic. I tried all sorts of fixes and re-calibartions.

But in the end it had to go back to DJI. Took 2 or 3 weeks over Christmas before I got it back due to the holidays.

New one has been perfect - so far!

Its not an unusual issue and a return is the only solution.

I imagine even if you havent crashed it your ribbon may be starting to curl to one side and be getting pinched when attaching gimble guard, or maybe its a default from DJi, but if it isnt the 3 tabs then its the ribbons or sending back. Try starting it upside down too....

Never had any gimbal problems with my first mavic then had a very serious crash at 30mph Then got a replacement mavic and when flying in sports mode and turning sharply my gimbal roll will get messed up, don't really care about that I adjust the gimbal roll, but today at camp I decided to fly I flew out about 2,000 feet away from me and 250 feet altitude so I was clear of all obstacles and then my camera instantly points down and starts shaking like crazy probably like your first video, i freaked out I couldn't control the gimbal I thought my mavic was falling but then realized it isn't I pressed home and started recording and I was watching as my mavic was flying back to me over a lake and camera shaking. But it came back landed and next flight it was fine.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredFulf