DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some People May be Exempt from Paying the $175 Fee for the Part 107 License Test…

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
I just read that certain people, depending on their affiliation with various organizations may not have to pay the $175 fee to take the Part 107 License Test… (Topic edited to reflect new, higher price...)

If you have had any experience with this, please chime in…

These groups include: the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) , the Joint Services Aviation Maintenance Technician Certification Council (JSAMTCC), the U.S. Military, the DOD, and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS))…

And these groups also include: Active-duty, guard, and reserve component personnel of the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Marine Corps, and U.S. Navy; U.S. Military retirees; U.S. Military dependents; Department of Defense (DOD) civilians; and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) civilians.

The authority for this is listed below…

U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, National Policy, Subj: Conduct of Airman Knowledge Tests, Order 8080.6H, Dated 22 Sept 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZergSolo
Fee is now $175 to take the test for "regular" people.

Thank you for the heads up, I've edited the original topic to reflect your input, Once again, thank you for the correction.

I indicated I was a USAF vet when scheduling on the PSI website and they still charged me for the test.

I do not believe that folks who are classified as veterans (even though they have served) receive this entitlement. From my research, I believe only active duty, retirees, and dependents qualify. And the way the ruling is written, it might only apply to testing sites that are controlled by a government agency. An example might be the Testing Center on a military base or post.

I will be contacting Base/Post Education at Langley AFB and Fort Eustis in Virginia next week and I'll post their responses.

Thank you for your response.

Reactions: SoCal2S
I do not believe that folks who are classified as veterans (even though they have served) receive this entitlement. From my research, I believe only active duty, retirees, and dependents qualify. And the way the ruling is written, it might only apply to testing sites that are controlled by a government agency. An example might be the Testing Center on a military base or post.

I will be contacting Base/Post Education at Langley AFB and Fort Eustis in Virginia next week and I'll post their responses.

Thank you for your response.
I wanted it and didn't care too much for the cost, but thanks for checking on it and hopefully it benefits the military community.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I think it's the same for irregular people, too.
I must be irregular even though I’m retired a state&fed Master Sergeant le officer.

Reactions: snowghost
Ahhh....one of the limited retiree benefits I will use!

With continued research, I have discovered that when signing up for the Part 107 knowledge test, you will be asked to pay the $175 testing fee. This fee goes only to the Computer Assisted Training Service (CATS); a subsidy of PSI Exams Online. The fee compensates the company for the use of their facilities, the testing materials, and their operational expenses. None of the fees go to the FAA.

As I wrote earlier, I will contact a couple of testing facilities on two military installations near me next week. So, if you believe that you might be exempt from paying the fee, you might not want to take the test at a commercial testing facility.

It also appears that if you schedule the test through the FAA Web site, it seems that they link you directly to PSI Exams Online to take the test through them and I would guess that the list of testing facilities for you to choose from would not include a non-commercial site…

As I wrote, more to come next week…

Till then week then 👍

People who subscribe to AOPA are typically already part 61/91 pilots and don't even have to go to a testing center and don't pay a testing fee. But they still have a background check and an instructor sign off.

The 61/91 pilot must be current with their flying. Just having a pilot certificate is not enough.

The 61/91 pilot must be current with their flying. Just having a pilot certificate is not enough.
The instructor sign off when obtaining the separate quad license and the continuing requirements as a pilot. Yes.

Latest Update; or as Edward R. Murrow might have reported… "Dateline: Free FAA Exam!"

I spoke to several folks at the Langley AFB Education Center and they assured me that all testing at their facility is without cost for eligible personnel.

Since I am a Retired Military Member and eligible for testing at a Military Facility, I was provided instructions to get myself scheduled for the "Unmanned Aircraft General-Small (UAG)" exam as the FAA refers to the part 107 License Exam.

The instructions required me to log onto the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) web site and register with them and acquire an FAA Tracking Number (FTN) Registration Number C-XXXXXXX.

Then I had to register on the PSI True Talent Web Site in order to schedule testing at a military installation. However, once I registered, I was instructed that I would receive further instruction once the application was approved.

After receiving the instructions, I had to register (maybe re-register…) and after filling out a more extensive application, I was afforded an opportunity to schedule testing anywhere an FAA Authorized Testing Facility is located. I chose my Zip Code and a short distance and it came up with two options; one, Langley AFB Education Center and a Flight School at my local airport.

The program did not offer the choice of Fort Eustis even though the FAA indicated this is an authorized testing facility. I understand they have a part-full time test proctor and perhaps the time period allowed did not have any open dates at Eustis.

As you can see in the attached screen-grab below, it indicates the test at Langley is FREE; can I say that again? FREE!

While negotiating to the Schedule Test Screen, I was notified that the test costs $175 unless otherwise indicated.

I will be posting all this again as a fresh topic so it's not all scattered out over several pages of postings and it will include detailed instructions to register and to schedule the Exam…

But one more reminder, the test is not FREE for "Regular and Irregular" Folk, you must be in one of these groups: the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) , the Joint Services Aviation Maintenance Technician Certification Council (JSAMTCC), the U.S. Military, the DOD, and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS))…

These groups include all Active-duty, guard, and reserve component personnel of the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Marine Corps, and U.S. Navy; U.S. Military retirees; U.S. Military dependents; Department of Defense (DOD) civilians; and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) civilians.

schedule.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCal2S and FLDave
Latest Update; or as Edward R. Murrow might have reported… "Dateline: Free FAA Exam!"

I spoke to several folks at the Langley AFB Education Center and they assured me that all testing at their facility is without cost for eligible personnel.

Since I am a Retired Military Member and eligible for testing at a Military Facility, I was provided instructions to get myself scheduled for the "Unmanned Aircraft General-Small (UAG)" exam as the FAA refers to the part 107 License Exam.

The instructions required me to log onto the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) web site and register with them and acquire an FAA Tracking Number (FTN) Registration Number C-XXXXXXX.

Then I had to register on the PSI True Talent Web Site in order to schedule testing at a military installation. However, once I registered, I was instructed that I would receive further instruction once the application was approved.

After receiving the instructions, I had to register (maybe re-register…) and after filling out a more extensive application, I was afforded an opportunity to schedule testing anywhere an FAA Authorized Testing Facility is located. I chose my Zip Code and a short distance and it came up with two options; one, Langley AFB Education Center and a Flight School at my local airport.

The program did not offer the choice of Fort Eustis even though the FAA indicated this is an authorized testing facility. I understand they have a part-full time test proctor and perhaps the time period allowed did not have any open dates at Eustis.

As you can see in the attached screen-grab below, it indicates the test at Langley is FREE; can I say that again? FREE!

While negotiating to the Schedule Test Screen, I was notified that the test costs $175 unless otherwise indicated.

I will be posting all this again as a fresh topic so it's not all scattered out over several pages of postings and it will include detailed instructions to register and to schedule the Exam…

But one more reminder, the test is not FREE for "Regular and Irregular" Folk, you must be in one of these groups: the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) , the Joint Services Aviation Maintenance Technician Certification Council (JSAMTCC), the U.S. Military, the DOD, and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS))…

These groups include all Active-duty, guard, and reserve component personnel of the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Marine Corps, and U.S. Navy; U.S. Military retirees; U.S. Military dependents; Department of Defense (DOD) civilians; and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) civilians.

View attachment 152351
It would be nice if veterans with a service-connected disability had the same opportunity. Rather than taking the test for free, such veterans (and a some others) must pay the fee and then file an application for reimbursement.

It would be nice if veterans with a service-connected disability had the same opportunity. Rather than taking the test for free, such veterans (and a some others) must pay the fee and then file an application for reimbursement.

Who says they don't…

I am not a legislator nor a lawyer, I do not make the law nor do I interpret the law, but I can Google all day long and surf the internet and since phones no longer charge "long distance phone charges" anymore, I can search for information and call to verify its authenticity for free…

So, not only can you google all day long (Free at your local library…) you can call to verify what you find on the internet. How do you think I found out about FREE Testing for the Part 107 License Exam and there are literally hundreds of other FREE exams for the taking…

Now, I am not a representative of the Veterans Administration, so I do not know your level of service connected disability. These examples are not intended to insult or denigrate your disability, but I am a member of the DAV and I've seen a many examples of disabilities, both severe and not severe.

Here are two extremes: While in the service, you contracted athlete's foot and it is recurring and the VA determines your condition is Service Connected and they will provide you with foot powder for the rest of your life, but you are rated with a zero percent (0%) disability.

A more extreme example is the loss of a leg due to combat and you are eligible for care for the rest of your life and in addition, your disability is rated at 50% and you receive a disability pension.

Now, with those two extremes on the table, there have been numerous changes to who is eligible for base/post benefits, specifically,

The DoD recently announced the rules for how newly eligible veterans and caregivers (spouses, significant others, etc…) will be able to gain base access to take advantage of the Commissary, Exchange, and MWR facilities.

Veterans with a service-connected disability will need a Veterans Health Identification Card, or VHIC, to able to gain access to the bases and use these facilities.

The VHIC must state the veteran’s eligibility. For example, the card must have a designation for Purple Heart, Former POW, or Service Connected rating. This is indicated on the card itself.

VA Health Benefits…

Next, if you are eligible for these privileges, read the following link…

Disabled Veterans and Caregivers to Gain Access to Exchanges, Commissaries, and Recreation Facilities…

So, this ID would give you access to the base and you should be eligible to take the test on a military base or post.

The requirements to take the test does not stipulate a Military ID Card… See this link…

FAA Airman Knowledge Testing Matrix -- May 18, 2021…

BTW, the Part 107 License Exam (Test Code -UAG -- Unmanned Aircraft General - Small) is listed on Page 15, after hundreds of other tests you can take…

Too Bad, you listed your location as the "US", if I knew where you lived, even a state, I would have included phone numbers to ease your search, but since you did not, it's now all on you to see if you are eligible to get the VA ID card, and if the closest military installation to your location is a test facility and whether they offer the test.

Good Luck, It all on you now…

I wish they would offer the exam free or discounted for people that are Disabled/ on disability.
I became disabled after years of working as a Tractor Trailer Operator For the USPS. After having a Back surgery done that ended up making my condition worse I was Forced by the USPS to retire on disability. Trust me when I say being on disability does not come even 1/4 close to what I made while working. And when on disability every dollar counts, even more now days with the cost of everything going up. That $175.00 Testing fee is going to be a bite out of my monthly pay.
OK rant over...LOL

That $175.00 Testing fee is going to be a bite out of my monthly pay.
OK rant over...LOL

Without going into the specifics of your disability from the post office, I see it this way… Every dollar you made while working during your lifetime and especially while working for the USPO, you paid taxes on and your taxes paid for others like those before you. Now it's your turn and I see no reason why you cannot qualify for a Grant (a non-repayable loan, outright gift, etc…) for you to establish a business for yourself (Drone Photography, surveying, etc…) and use the money to pay for the License Fee.

Here are some sources for you to check, perhaps even your own USPO organizations, as the American Postal Workers Union (APWU) might have programs to help the disabled to start a business.

When a close friend of mine was looking for ways to pay for their college (decades ago…), they found out that because her father was a Toll Booth Attendant, there was a scholarship fund just for the children of Toll Booth Attendant … and it paid better than the Pell Grant she qualified for…

Also, I am sure that there are various local organizations in the Pascagoula area that try to take care of their own: local church groups, the Lions Club, the Masons, Foresters, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Knights of Columbus, the Elks, the Moose, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Kiwanis Club, just to name a few…

Give it a try, the worse that will happen is they say, NO…

Reactions: 13_Dragons
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones