DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sorry, one more time: MP vs P4P

Jimmer

Reactions
Sorry to start another MP vs P4P thread. I have been waiting for my Mavic since September, and I am beginning to wonder if I should go with a P4P instead. I understand it basically comes down to camera quality or portability, which is more important to you? However, why do I still have a hard time deciding between the two? I really do know it should be so simple.

I think the main reason I have been considering the P4P is because, while much heavier, there are backpacks that will fit it and qualify as a carry-on for traveling. And a lot of the cases for MP are going to be a similar size (maybe only slightly smaller). So, while my back is going to hurt a lot more hiking with a P4P on my back instead of a Mavic, will the superior camera quality be worth a little bit more weight I have to carry around?

I am curious for those who have both the Mavic and the Phantom 4 Pro, what do you find yourself using more? If you truly could only have one, which would you give up? Any any other thoughts people have. Or if you are sick of these Mavic vs. P4P comparisons, then sorry--please ignore my post.

I think one thing to consider is how good do you need your images to be. This really should dictate the platform that you get. If you're just shooting for instagram/youtube, then the Mavic should fulfil this role well. If you require something more than this, say are planning prints of your work, or require 4k@60fps, then the P4P is your choice. If you need to get more cinematic quality then you should invest in the Inspire or Matrice range.

Reactions: Kilrah
I think one thing to consider is how good do you need your images to be. This really should dictate the platform that you get. If you're just shooting for instagram/youtube, then the Mavic should fulfil this role well. If you require something more than this, say are planning prints of your work, or require 4k@60fps, then the P4P is your choice. If you need to get more cinematic quality then you should invest in the Inspire or Matrice range.

Let's not forget that 4k@60fps is also 100 megs a second vs the 60. Lightbridge will be better for visuals as well. OcuSync is more of a test or for goggles.

P4P - Better camera

Mavic - Portable and Good Enough

Depends on what you want. The Mavic is ultra portable as most cameras should be. So for me the Mavic. Better priced as well. The P4P is 1 and a half times more expensive.

If I was doing commercial I'd probably go for the Phantom. But this could all change very quickly. The Mavic is a big hit for DJI.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have been waiting for my Mavic since September, and I am beginning to wonder if I should go with a P4P instead.
You could cancel your order and place an order directly with DJI here. They are currently shipping out Mavics 1-3 business days after the payment is confirmed.

I am curious for those who have both the Mavic and the Phantom 4 Pro, what do you find yourself using more? If you truly could only have one, which would you give up?
I like both, but I'd keep my P4P if I could only have one.

Just curious why you are still waiting since September. I ordered my MP 2 weeks ago and received it in 1 week.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The DJI Store in Colorado posted they have Mavic Pros in stock and ready to go!

While I don't have a P4P, I have a P4. I find for photography purposes and Litchi waypoint missions I use my P4. I prefer the feel of the bigger P4 style remote and the ability to easily use a larger tablet like the IPad Air 2 or IPad Pro 9.7. I also find the larger profile of the P4 easier for me to see at greater distances. I also like the longer Langding Gear on the P4 which offers more ground clear and the ability to land on more irregular terrain.

I take my drones on the back of my motorcycle. When space isn't critical I prefer to take my P4 over my Mavic.

Since its photography I'm primarily interested in, I'd pick the P4P over the Mavic. It's not like I don't like the Mavic, I do, but if I had to pick only one today, it'd be the P4P...

You could cancel your order and place an order directly with DJI here. They are currently shipping out Mavics 1-3 business days after the payment is confirmed.

Just curious why you are still waiting since September. I ordered my MP 2 weeks ago and received it in 1 week.

Yeah, I did hear that I could get it a lot earlier elsewhere. However, I did get a decent discount and I like to support my local drone store. Plus, I think they are getting close to having it haha (or so I keep telling myself...). I am getting close to just saying enough is enough though.

And thanks for everyone's responses. Since my drone will mostly for recreation, I probably don't need the better camera and the Mavic will be the best choice.

To sum it up:

Mavic:
- Portability
- Advanced Features in a small package
- P4 camera (with smaller field of view)

P4P:
- Best camera
- sensors all over the place
- "Built in screen" if you go for the p4p+

Got a P4P and did some comparisons myself and well, looks like even if you compromise a bit on the camera quality nothing can beat the Mavic on portability and the camera quality is also great! Kept only the Mavic and like the portability. For me that is my paramount.

In addition to these great points, the Mavic draws a lot less attention with its smaller size and is far more quiet. Let's say you're out in the park setting up for a flight. With the Mavic you have this small satchel on your shoulder that has everything you need to fly. This is not very note worthy to onlookers. Now if you have the phantom P4P, you have to haul out this huge white controller with this big tablet holder protruding. You also have the large white craft with large batteries to click in. You are definitely no longer inconspicuous as compared to the non-imposing little Mavic. The Mavic is like this cute little toy that won't hurt anyone as compared to this big loud Phantom. The less attention you draw, the more places you will be able to fly without getting hassled. Just the fact that you can always have it with you is the biggest selling point. Now if you don't care about size and you want the very best picture/video quality, then it's a no brainer. P4P is the way to go. Otherwise, Mavic all the way with the lower price, portability, and good enough performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wacker2611 and GBDW
I think the main reason I have been considering the P4P is because, while much heavier, there are backpacks that will fit it and qualify as a carry-on for traveling.
A Phantom bag will contain only the Phantom. A Mavic bag will carry the Mavic plus anything else you'd like... big difference.

Lightbridge will be better for visuals as well. OcuSync is more of a test or for goggles.
Having used both... not at all. Ocusync trumps Lightbridge in every way unless you need high quality live broadcast (but only at short range).

In addition to these great points, the Mavic draws a lot less attention with its smaller size and is far more quiet. Let's say you're out in the park setting up for a flight. With the Mavic you have this small satchel on your shoulder that has everything you need to fly. This is not very note worthy to onlookers. Now if you have the phantom P4P, you have to haul out this huge white controller with this big tablet holder protruding. You also have the large white craft with large batteries to click in. You are definitely no longer inconspicuous as compared to the non-imposing little Mavic. The Mavic is like this cute little toy that won't hurt anyone as compared to this big loud Phantom. The less attention you draw, the more places you will be able to fly without getting hassled. Just the fact that you can always have it with you is the biggest selling point. Now if you don't care about size and you want the very best picture/video quality, then it's a no brainer. P4P is the way to go. Otherwise, Mavic all the way with the lower price, portability, and good enough performance.

That. I dare flying in so many more places with my Mavic than I'd do with a Phantom.

At this moment, I use that MP and Autopilot to have a timeline scenario. So, more pix that movie but the pictures are crystal clear. Crisp and sharp. Perfect for my report.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

A Phantom bag will contain only the Phantom. A Mavic bag will carry the Mavic plus anything else you'd like... big difference.

Having used both... not at all. Ocusync trumps Lightbridge in every way unless you need high quality live broadcast (but only at short range).

That. I dare flying in so many more places with my Mavic than I'd do with a Phantom.

I've compared a lot of data from old flights using lightbridge and flights with ocusync at the same location, and ocusync is beating the pants off of lightbridge, both in high noise locations and in open country. I'm really impressed with the performance, and absolutely love my Mavic for that and other reasons already posted in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These are some great additional insights everyone. Thanks! I think Mavic takes the win...

eah, I did hear that I could get it a lot earlier elsewhere. However, I did get a decent discount and I like to support my local drone store. Plus, I think they are getting close to having it haha (or so I keep telling myself...). I am getting close to just saying enough is enough though.
If they take any longer getting you the drone, then the discount should be greater. Hell, as often as DJI release new drones that Mavic you're waiting for will be obsolete.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev