DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport Mode!!!

There is a hardware switch on the right side of the remote control. Press it up and you are in Sport Mode. Press it back down and back to P-Mode (if GPS lock / satellites are accessible.) No other settings. its quick and easy.

Do you not first have to enable the hardware switch by selecting S mode in Main Controller Settings in DJI Go?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Hey guys, quick question. Do you have any random micro vibrations captured in video when flying in sport mode?
I love sport mode, I try to be higher than any obstacle and fly towards any direction. I'm just trying to understand if those vibrations are normal or not. They seem to appear for 1-2 sec and then disappear.

If you really want to impress observers, hit the pause button on the RC just as it hits max speed in front/over you. It pitches nearly vertical and stops on a dime. MUCH quicker than any stick input you can provide.
One thing to be careful of is spiking the power needs of the battery - this maneuver can harm your batteries:)

Hey guys, quick question. Do you have any random micro vibrations captured in video when flying in sport mode?
I love sport mode, I try to be higher than any obstacle and fly towards any direction. I'm just trying to understand if those vibrations are normal or not. They seem to appear for 1-2 sec and then disappear.

The gimble travel will Max out in sports mode if you take off fast.

The vibrations I have appear only during straight forward movement or breaking and only in sport mode. I'm still trying to figure out if this is normal behavior or not. After my latest actions (IMU cal, Gimbal cal, changing props, Turn on Manual Focus) they tend to appear less often.

Yes, I see that in Sport mode, exactly as you described.

Reactions: peros550
If you really want to impress observers, hit the pause button on the RC just as it hits max speed in front/over you. It pitches nearly vertical and stops on a dime. MUCH quicker than any stick input you can provide.

That's a hard deceleration that may put a pretty significant force on the Mavic's arms. Whether it will cause any harm, I don't know, but I try to avoid hard stops in either mode.

We could probably estimate the force required using Newton's 2nd Law of Motion. Anybody care to estimate how long it takes a MP to stop from max speed in Sport mode? Less than a second, it seems.

One thing to be careful of is spiking the power needs of the battery - this maneuver can harm your batteries:)

That's an interesting point. Do you know this for fact, or are you simply suggesting this as theory? It would seem that the quick stop is as much a function of pitch as it is RPM. Under normal and even sport flight, manual controls are limited to maybe 30° pitch. But pressing the paus button seems to put it at about 70° momentarily (perhaps even more). I'm not discounting what you're saying, but I just wonder if you have any sources for that claim.

Just fly the **** thing and have some fun, if you like to fly it in sport mood (like I do) sobeit. The key thing here is just have fun with it and be safe.
Just saying[emoji4]

Just to get a ballpark idea of the force involved in a quick stop in Sport mode:

If the MP decelerates from 17.8 m/s (40 mph) in 0.75 seconds, that's 23.73 m/s**2, or about 2.5 Gs. I don't know if the assumed stopping time is correct, but it's probably in the ballpark. Since all of the force needed to stop the MP comes from the rotors at the ends of the arms, it would be roughly equivalent to supporting your MP only at the ends of the arms and loading about 4 pounds on the body of the drone. (This is only the deceleration force provided by the rotors, and does not include the mass of the MP itself.)

Is this momentary force, applied repeatedly over time, enough to damage the drone's hinges? I don't know. Some Phantoms had shell cracking problems around the motors, including some Phantoms that were claimed to have never been crashed or landed hard. Maybe hard stops were a contributor?

It's something to think about if you're in the habit of hitting Pause or just snapping the right stick back to center while the MP is at high speed. Maybe they are designed to take it; I don't know. If a hinge fails in flight during a hard stop, though, the bird is definitely going to fall.

Not trying to tell anyone how to fly, just sharing some thoughts. I like Sport mode too.

Last edited:
I had the bumps during sport mode. An IMU and gimbal calibration fixed it while travelling straight forward, though it still couldn't compensate for sudden stops and starts.. though in the end I still had to send my Mavic in for a jello and bump issue during normal flight. The different between sport mode filming before and after those calibrations was noticeable.

iPhone 6S

After latest firmware update the vibrations mid flight are gone. I get only during sudden start / stop in sport mode , but that's minor compared to what I had previously, so I'm happy with the situation as it is now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman