DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State farm insurance question

I talked to my agent and finished up my policy. She said you DO NOT have to be a current customer with State Farm to get a drone policy.

She said they use the drone policy as an opportunity to quote you for other coverages if you need it, because the drone policies are so small.
Thats exactly what the woman i spoke to said.. i think the first guy I spoke to was just looking to make more money on it

Sent from my LG-H820 using MavicPilots mobile app

Thats exactly what the woman i spoke to said.. i think the first guy I spoke to was just looking to make more money on it

They just told me I had to have a homeowners poilicy with them to qualify, do you have anything that I can refer them to?

They just told me I had to have a homeowners poilicy with them to qualify, do you have anything that I can refer them to?

I would just try another agent. Here in NJ I have 25 different State Farm agents within 10 miles of my house. Luckily the first one, also the closest one, I contacted was unsure of how to proceed with the policy so she contacted underwriting and they walked her through the specifics. Was in and out in no time. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of continuity in the info or procedures with the different agents.

It is just a personal articles policy , you don't have to call it a drone policy . It's the same thing as going in to ask for coverage just on jewelry , guns etc .

Thats what the first guy i spoke to said. He said that no one is going to just cover the drone without combining some other insurance. I called another agent and all they said was theyd like to give me a quote for my car but i wasn't forced to switch. now I have full coverage, no deductible and it cost 60 bucks for the year... Definitely try to look around for other agents

I got the PAP policy from State Farm here in New Jersey and I do not have them for any other types of coverage.
I have to ask because I'm in NJ too.
I've been to a few state farm offices in the past for auto quotes and they are way over priced and the rudest people ever.
What town state farm and how much for the policy?

I know I sound like a broken record, but it bears repeating... If you file a claim with SF for a loss, that claim WILL be entered into the LexisNexis risk rating database. This is the database that all insurers use to assess risk, and calculate underwriting risk when your policy renews. So even if SF is not your home/auto insurer, simply filing a claim with them for a loss WILL show up as a chargeable claim (increased risk rating) when home/auto policies renew.

The SF agent I spoke with said that if you are long-term (loyal) SF customer, and you renew your existing policies, such a claim would NOT affect your rates. BUT, if you try to purchase new auto/home insurance, your rates WILL be affected, since the new company will have no first-hand knowledge of your risk profile.

Therefore, if you are happy with your current auto and home insurers, and you have a long established history with them and have no intention to shop around at renewal, then the SF PAP route is a safe and effective way to insure your MP.

However, if you are like many who use brokers and shop/compare rates for home/auto at regular intervals, filing a claim with SF for your MP will all but guarantee you will no longer be eligible for the best rates.

Here are her comments:

A personal articles policy (PAP) policy is considered a “fire” policy. Under the fire category is home, PAP, and inland marine policies. If there is a claim on any of these policies, it is recorded in Lexus Nexus and does affect your future rating if you intend to get any of those policies started as new business.

With State Farm (I can’t speak for other companies) if you do a PAP claim during a time where you have an existing home policy, it will not affect your rate. As I mentioned before, however, if you start a new home policy, it does have the potential to affect that...

Any claim on any property policy could be considered during underwriting for rating purposes by any carrier, so it’s no different than having an auto claim and then shopping your auto policy after.
Essentially, filing a claim on your MP has the same negative potential on your risk rating as an auto accident. Consider carefully whether that is a sensible option based on your insurance practices. Since I shop every year for best rates, a SF policy for the MP makes little sense.

I have to ask because I'm in NJ too.
I've been to a few state farm offices in the past for auto quotes and they are way over priced and the rudest people ever.
What town state farm and how much for the policy?

I went to the State Farm in Red Bank, NJ

60 Maple Avenue
Red Bank, NJ 07701-1618
732-933-1299

Can't remember the woman's name who helped me, she was very helpful. I paid $50 for the year and I'm insured for $1068, Mavic plus tax. As far as any other insurance, I've never dealt with State Farm. Have no plans of switching any other existing policies over to them or gotten any other quotes.

I have mine covered to 1600 cause I bought filters a tablet mount litchi app and if it fly's off i would like all of it covered. Always the chance it all getting stolen too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

Just got a letter from state farm. I had put my iPad mini and its charging cable on the policy as it is required to fly the mavic. Agent put it on a policy. Just received a letter stating electronics are not included and listing the iPad Mini and its charging cord because "the policy doesn't cover electronic items"

Since to me they are changing the policy what else have people added. My agent said they can add only "drone" related items to the policy.

I know this thread is old, but does anyone with the SF PAP drone insurance have a copy of the policy declaration documents they're willing to share? I ask because I just signed up, and so far all I have is the application binder document, but that really doesn't explain the coverage in detail. I guess I get the policy declarations later. Not a whole lot of information on their site either. Thanks.

I know this thread is old, but does anyone with the SF PAP drone insurance have a copy of the policy declaration documents they're willing to share? I ask because I just signed up, and so far all I have is the application binder document, but that really doesn't explain the coverage in detail. I guess I get the policy declarations later. Not a whole lot of information on their site either. Thanks.

I got my policy declarations the next day, and I got an online account to review them.

Reactions: tshizdude
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77