DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still worth it?

jonnybrown

Reactions
Hi all.

As said on my check in I have been lurking the forums for a while now. I have a Bebop 2 and I'm thinking to pull the trigger on a DJI soon... The thing is, do you think it's still worth it to buy the Mavic Pro right now? Or should I try to for the zoom at least? The Mavic is 2 years old so I'm wondering...

I'm thinking to upgrade mainly because of the camera... The bebop 2 flies nicely and all however every time I come home from a shooting I think I have a few nice photos until I look at them on the PC. There's too much grain, raw photos come in fisheye which endup a bit distorted when corrected, etc.

Sorry for the wall of text, looking forward to read your feedback.

If you're looking for someone to tell you that you don't need to update from bebo you're on wrong forum. It will be a worthwhile update whether you choose mavic pro or one of the mavic 2 series. The m2p camera is quite amazing and a big update but depending what you need pro 1 or zoom might be good enough for you as well.

I can’t tell you what to buy, that’s your choice but if your into photography then the M2P or even the zoom might be worth looking at. You need to do some research, YouTube, Dji manuals etc. I know you wanted advice, others members might recommend what they have but at the end of the day you buy what you think will work for you.

Good luck;)

I think at this point I'm definitely upgrading. I'm not a professional photographer or anything close, that's why I think the Mavic 1 might be good enough. The main concern is will I be spending 800/900eur on an outdated technology of some kind? What are the main upgrades of the Zoom and Mavic 2 that makes it worth it to spend almost double?

Mavic Pro in my humble opinion isn't outdated but it has been a incremental improvement. They had to add few bits and bobs to justify the new price but the real major upgrade is the camera and choice of zoom or pro. If you are an advanced user and can afford mavic 2 go for it. Have a look at my channel and what mavic pro can do AVEA PRO and consider how much of an upgrade it will be in comparison with bebop 2. You will be amazed.

Hi all.

As said on my check in I have been lurking the forums for a while now. I have a Bebop 2 and I'm thinking to pull the trigger on a DJI soon... The thing is, do you think it's still worth it to buy the Mavic Pro right now? Or should I try to for the zoom at least? The Mavic is 2 years old so I'm wondering...

I'm thinking to upgrade mainly because of the camera... The bebop 2 flies nicely and all however every time I come home from a shooting I think I have a few nice photos until I look at them on the PC. There's too much grain, raw photos come in fisheye which endup a bit distorted when corrected, etc.

Sorry for the wall of text, looking forward to read your feedback.

i would go for the zoom or mavic pro 2 DJI has abandoned the mavic 1 and its still got loads of problems bugs they havnt fixed.
Its absolutl;y annoyed me this theyve dont it on so youll go out and buy the 2 drones its done the op to me. im looking at the Autel Evo fly more package for 999 that is a steal

i would go for the zoom or mavic pro 2 DJI has abandoned the mavic 1 and its still got loads of problems bugs they havnt fixed.
Its absolutl;y annoyed me this theyve dont it on so youll go out and buy the 2 drones its done the op to me. im looking at the Autel Evo fly more package for 999 that is a steal

That's interesting. What kind of bugs and problems are there in the Mavic 1?

@Derlisz thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at your channel

Reactions: Steve Murray
That's interesting. What kind of bugs and problems are there in the Mavic 1?

@Derlisz thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at your channel
Not sure of the problems that people don't seem to specify but I've had the MP1 for 14 months fly 2/3 times a week have not had a problem beautiful piece of technology and flying better than the day I bought it I use the RE goggles as well brilliant . Do some research Google you tube good luck.

I think at this point I'm definitely upgrading. I'm not a professional photographer or anything close, that's why I think the Mavic 1 might be good enough. The main concern is will I be spending 800/900eur on an outdated technology of some kind? What are the main upgrades of the Zoom and Mavic 2 that makes it worth it to spend almost double?

As the old proverb goes - "buy cheap - buy twice". I have just bought my first drone (an M2P) as I have no intention of buying another one for 5 years at least. I'd say get the very best you can afford (and the M2P is the very best I can afford) - Just need to keep the invoice away from management...

As the old proverb goes - "buy cheap - buy twice". I have just bought my first drone (an M2P) as I have no intention of buying another one for 5 years at least. I'd say get the very best you can afford (and the M2P is the very best I can afford) - Just need to keep the invoice away from management...

Yeah... That's another thing playing in my mind. I don't want to "risk" buying an older and cheaper version and then feel I need to upgrade after a couple years.

Mavic Pro in my humble opinion isn't outdated but it has been a incremental improvement. They had to add few bits and bobs to justify the new price but the real major upgrade is the camera and choice of zoom or pro. If you are an advanced user and can afford mavic 2 go for it. Have a look at my channel and what mavic pro can do AVEA PRO and consider how much of an upgrade it will be in comparison with bebop 2. You will be amazed.
Derlisz, you have some really nice videos. Thanks for sharing very inspiring. I have a Mavic Pro Platinum, I have spent way to much thought on not having the Mavic 2, I just need to get out and fly.

Yeah... That's another thing playing in my mind. I don't want to "risk" buying an older and cheaper version and then feel I need to upgrade after a couple years.

Ha - you sound like a man who already knows what to do :). I have some cheap things and some REALLY expensive (best quality I could afford) things and I can honestly say that I've never, ever regretted one of the high quality purchases. Quality lasts - and lasts. (watches, shoes, coats, lenses, bikes, scuba gear.... - and now a drone). You should see my loft - it's like the Tailor's shop (Mr Ben) :))

If you keep your eyes open and are patient, you can pick up a MP1 refurbished with a one year warranty for around or even under $600 (USD). That alone makes it still worth it. Less than half the price of an MP2 and it still beats any other manufacturer's flagship consumer drone after 2 years. The photos and videos it shoots are fantastic, if you know what you're doing. The tech is NOT outdated on the MP1. It's almost exactly the same as it is today except for more sensors, a little bit more air time, and a better camera. If you're one of those people that has to always have the latest model then go for the MP2, but next year it won't be the latest model anymore, and you'll have to buy something else. Look at some comparison videos on youtube and decide if the added sensors and camera are worth the $600 difference in price. FYI the newest models always have their own problems and "bugs" as well.

Reactions: Morkstar
mavic pro is one hell of a machine.. you will love it if you get one. mine has two years an almost 2000 miles on her on going strong!!

Reactions: conchman
Derlisz, you have some really nice videos. Thanks for sharing very inspiring. I have a Mavic Pro Platinum, I have spent way to much thought on not having the Mavic 2, I just need to get out and fly.
Thank you kindly. I think it's a good time to move to a new device if it's in either a significant upgrade or you have outgrown it. I believe I have reached 85% of mp1 potential and move to m2p would give me a bit of elbow room in terms of pushing the quality. There are serious limits out there that make spending stupid amounts of amateur gear redundant. One of them is the bane of my life: YouTube compression.

I agree that you need to be clear of what you need before you make the decision. I know I need good pictures and gimbal stabilized 4K videos. I did some research on the net and had found that M1P meets all of my needs. I don’t do night shots so the bigger image sensor on M2P isn’t that appealing to me. Btw, I bought a brand new M1P fly more combo for $715, which was pretty much 1/3 of the price for a M2P fly more combo. Yes M2P is definitely better than M1P in almost every single aspect but hey you need to spend 200% more on something that you would probably not notice too much difference. Keep in mind, DJI will likely release M3P, M4P in the following years, who knows. When the newer generation comes out, you may feel that your older generation is outdated and want to jump on the newer one. I would say, as long as it meets all your requirements, you really don’t need to spend extra money on unnecessary features.

As far as the M2 Zoom, I’m not a big fan as it’s picture quality isn’t much better than M1P, considering it’s considerably higher price.

I’m pretty satisfied with my Mavic Pro, just like my 10-year old Nikon D90 is still going strong :)

Do your research on YouTube and buy what you can afford. It's that simple.

The M2P is a dream come true in my view for photography with the Hasselblad camera providing high quality images that stand alone even without post processing.

It flys beautifully once you have all the settings in place and is easy to handle.

Mp1 is good enough. Has better camera than bb2. I think the mp2 zoom might be in your price range but I would wait until after Christmas to buy.

If you keep your eyes open and are patient, you can pick up a MP1 refurbished with a one year warranty for around or even under $600 (USD). That alone makes it still worth it.

I'm in Europe and currently the MP1 refurbished is going for 800Eur. Do they do promotions regularly?

Mp1 is good enough. Has better camera than bb2. I think the mp2 zoom might be in your price range but I would wait until after Christmas to buy.

Do you reckon there will be deals after Christmas?

Thank you all for all the feedback, obviously I haven't decided yet (it will take a while...).
I'm starting to lean to the MP1. I guess I could afford the MP2, it's just that maybe I will be spending on something that I won't take full advantage of. By the way, any of you guys share your MP1 photos online? Some kind of social media like Flickr? I'd like to see the full resolution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc