DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe lights for front

Would adding two of these affect the way the Mavic flies? Also what color lights would you see the best fro a distence.

What colors can be seen from the furthest distance?
Each wavelength is perceived by our eyes as a different color. The shorter wavelengths of visible light are violet — we might call them purple. Then as the wavelengths get longer and longer, the visible light changes in color to blue, green, yellow, orange, and finally the longest, which is red.
Light & Color: Facts (Science Trek: Idaho Public Television

Thank you for aknowledging this. It's annoying that everyone on these forums think the only thing allowed to fly below 400ft agl is a hobbyist.

I regularly fly below 400ft. It's my job. Anyone that claims they can see a drone while piloting manned aircraft might be crazy, or the drone was less than 20 ft from them. It's hard enough seeing other manned, larger aircraft at times.

Bright strobes are a great idea, unless you are 20ft over the ocean and I'm searching for survivors, then I might come closer to check you out haha

Dave

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I use to fly MAST (Military assistance to Safety & Traffic) in the Army, same as MEDEVAC or LIFE Flight, and we flew NOE a lot, that's below 100' AGL. And I totally get your statement about spotting a drone at altitude at 200+ knots, its just to small, unless it's bouncing off of your cockpit.

Last edited:
Reactions: arcolog2
What colors can be seen from the furthest distance?
Each wavelength is perceived by our eyes as a different color. The shorter wavelengths of visible light are violet — we might call them purple. Then as the wavelengths get longer and longer, the visible light changes in color to blue, green, yellow, orange, and finally the longest, which is red.
Light & Color: Facts (Science Trek: Idaho Public Television

Aviation NAV and identification marker lights are defined. For our purpose there are only three, Red, Green, and white. Red for the Port side, green for the Starboard, and white for the rear. Normally a Helicopter will have a rotating red beacon above the Doghouse (engine cowling) as well as between the skids, with the red, and green in the front or on the horizontal stabilizer in the rear. The configuration of the A/C determines exactly where the NAV lights are placed. We can place the red and green on the forward arms with the white below the DJI logo on the rear. Other colors will be both incorrect, and confusing.
aircraft-position-lights.jpeg agusta109.jpeg

Aviation NAV and identification marker lights are defined. For our purpose there are only three, Red, Green, and white. Red for the Port side, green for the Starboard, and white for the rear. Normally a Helicopter will have a rotating red beacon above the Doghouse (engine cowling) as well as between the skids, with the red, and green in the front or on the horizontal stabilizer in the rear. The configuration of the A/C determines exactly where the NAV lights are placed. We can place the red and green on the forward arms with the white below the DJI logo on the rear. Other colors will be both incorrect, and confusing.
View attachment 3044 View attachment 3045
Thanks for the indepth explanation. I was not recommending a color scheme, just sharing an article with desertdude regarding what color can be seen best at a distance.

Thanks for the indepth explanation. I was not recommending a color scheme, just sharing an article with desertdude regarding what color can be seen best at a distance.
Sorry, sometimes the Army Pilot comes out in me. Just didn't want him to think blue was a cool color to stick on the UAV, when you are a PIC and looking down at night sometimes the number and density of lights is amazing.... and confusing.

Sorry, sometimes the Army Pilot comes out in me. Just didn't want him to think blue was a cool color to stick on the UAV, when you are a PIC and looking down at night sometimes the number and density of lights is amazing.... and confusing.
No problem, Happy Flying

Thanks for the link to the USA supplier, TBird.
My Mavic has not arrived but I want to add a strobe as my first mod. Ideally it would be remotely switchable as to not cause photographic artifacts but I'm new to the hobby as well as this forum and have not researched the feasibility. However, an additional strobe is important for me and an "always on" will do for now.

Reactions: ImagePix
I ordered a set to make it easier to spot in the air and to locate if it goes down in a remote area. I had quad about the the size of the Mavic (H501s) decide to shut down (firmware bug) at 200 feet. It crashed down in some dense vegetation with no damage other than the props but it was a bear to find even with the spot-on coordinates. At one point, I was 10 feet from it and just didn't see it.

Anyone currently using these strobes (I ordered two) and have suggestions for where to attach on the Mavic? I am thinking on the back or on the forward arms but facing upwards so the camera doesn't pick up the flashes.

(I read the post above and am familiar with how lights would be placed on a normal aircraft but this is meaningless on a quad like the Mavic) When I am filming, I am as likely to flying forward or sideways (based on the so-called front where the camera faces). Navigation lights are based on direction of flight to aid observers and this is not a constant for the Mavic. Also the Mavic has two red lights on the forward arms which is totally non-standard, so trying to go with the standard aircraft nav lights on the Mavic is a totally lost cause. What I am looking for is good locations to attach the white lights to aid in visibility of the Mavic but not affect the camera.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a picture where they are attaching these strobe lights to the Mavic arms or body?

For Comercial uas operations 30 min after sunset you need anti collision lighting visible at least 3sm away.
Far 107 5.16.1
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

I know...that's not my concern at all. (I am not looking to do either commercial or night flying).

I don't like blue cause it won't help me when wearing nvg's lol. I can stay away from white though!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a picture where they are attaching these strobe lights to the Mavic arms or body?
Well, there are several ways, but I chose to mount them with velcro to my landing leg extenders, I may change to hot glue. I don't have to put them on if I don't need the lights or extenders, and I can leave them on the extenders to charge, either on or off the Mavic. I had to order a 1>3 micro USB charging cable so I can charge all three at one time.
IMG_1678.jpg IMG_1679.jpg

Reactions: woesch
I have white and red STROBON Cree strobe lights in stock. You can buy them from me here.

Reactions: WolfgangStiller
i have a Strobon Standalone White and while it is indeed very bright, but I wonder if I screwed up by not getting the Strobon CREE standalone.
Anyone have any actual experience comparing the CREE vs the non-CREE versions as far as visibility goes??
My plan is to place 2 white ones on the front arms angled so as to point straight forward and 2 red ones on the back arms pointing straight back, just like the lights on a car. I figure this will make it a lot easier to determine direction while flying LOS.
i have NEVER understood the red lights on the front thing. makes zero sense to meo_O

Last edited:
Anyone have any actual experience comparing the CREE vs the non-CREE versions as far as visibility goes?
This video shows the difference indoors:

I just ordered 1 each red and white Strobon CREE for the front and back of the Mavic.
They are on their way as I write this from carolina dronz

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure