DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid firmware update caused me the mav to crash this morning!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take my time before each flight to check ALL my settings, sure it's a bit boring and time consuming but I definitely think that a responsible pilot should always do it. (Regardless if there was an update or not).
Best is to make a small preflight check list and go over all the points before taking off.

Being an excellent pilot, he never was too busy, in too much of a hurry, or too preoccupied not to follow these strict guidelines in the form of routine checklists laid out before him to observe.

As an aside, ALL drone pilot should be emulating these other pilots by inspecting their aircraft before powering it up, running down a pre-flight list and then a flight list before takeoff, and following a landing checklist, too. So many drone crashes and accidents could be avoided if they did.

It's never cool to be a fool. Any drone pilot who simply leaves things up to the circumstances of the day when flying and who is cavalier about following checklists instead of maintaining a more professional, mature approach to flying is foolhardy, indeed. It sets into motion a series of events that can only eventually end very badly for those involved.

This should really be a sticky.

There are very few "accidents" - most incidents are simply because people didn't send their brain somewhere before they sent the aircraft.

Of course, we're human and mistakes do happen, but if everyone would take the kind of approach you describe above before they launch a flying blender into the sky, the great majority of crashes and losses wouldn't happen. It's really not a big deal to have a short checklist, proportionate to the size of drone and where it's being flown, then do your level best to follow it every single time.

IMO, people will have to start encouraging a culture of safety, forethought, planning and self discipline in drone flying just like manned aviation, or the incident rate will continue to be huge and on a purely statistical basis a proportion of those will harm uninvolved bystanders. Just like in manned aviation, it's up to all of us to educate and where necessary pressure others to adopt a safe set of practises.

Don't be a statistic.

Not trying to be a butthole but a firmware upgrade resets the aircraft. You should always check the settings after doing so. Its your fault not the firmware.
Yup. They won't do a thing. As they shouldn't. Title it. I crashed the Mavic because of a nooby mistake... sorry dude.

Reactions: AyeYo
Again I don't think I should have too. And why didn't they give me a stupid warning like they do the stupid wind warning all over the the screen.

Will a banggood $60 drone do 43 mph if yes I am in.
You type and talk like a young man. Maybe 16. Refrain from calling people names please. Don't get personal when people point out facts. Eat your mistake. We all have done errors. Now calling dji and the coders geeks. Sad. Really sad. I get it. Your mad. But sometimes it's better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Not trying to be a butthole but a firmware upgrade resets the aircraft. You should always check the settings after doing so. Its your fault not the firmware.
Totally agree. People need to take responsibility for their actions.

I am so bummed out. My whole family was coming down this next weekend and I was going to show my nephews this sucker and now it will be in california for 3 to 4 weeks.

I was in sport mode this morning and started doing some up and down funnel maneuvers did it fine for like 3 or 4 times and then when I was coming down at 30 it just starts falling from the sky and bam crashed in the lot I own with grass on it. And it was wet grass too so it wasn't real hard. I really can't believe it screwed it up inside but it did. Get a red back light when I try to start it.

I was thinking what the **** could have happened I know I turned off the pull sticks down and inward thing for emergency stop but i know i turned it off. Then on the way to work it hit me. The stupid firmware upgrade. I guess it must have reset everything. Just pisses me off why does it have to reset everything can't those computer geeks stop that from happening? I wish I never had to update the stupid firmware just a bunch of suckers thinking of ways of keeping their jobs it's nothing but a pain in the butt.

It says system error on the controller and a red light on the back means it's going to cali for repair. Think they are going to charge me?

Are you for real??? Doing acrobatics with your Mavic and blame the FW update for a crash that's your fault. Really!!!! You got what you deserved.
This drone is for taking awesome pics or video, not for loop da loops over a field. It really takes all kinds.......

I have flown many hours with my phantom 2-3-4 and now mavic pro and never had any problems with any of the updates.
Even if some of the settings like flight attitude or multiple flight modes are reset on desabled it does not mean that something is wrong with your drone and you will loose your mavic.
Many times i don't check any of the settings after an update and all goes well..
It is wrong to say that a reset of settings after update means that there is any chance at all of loosing or crashing the mavic..
The Drone is ready to fly whatever happens, unless there is an error message which indicates it might need calibrating or compass error etc.. but for some time now everything is full proof for the user.

Now i dont wanna fly in a real plane anymore. What if the captain dont check the planes settings(preflight checklist) after boeing updates a planes ecu. Stupid boeing engineers
That's like my old RC buddy Elwood used to say when I crashed my RC trainer plane because a clevis came loose on the elevator pushrod. : "Build it like your meat *** is in it"

Guys this is just starting to get really old.
Now has done been cleaned once and if
It has to be again I will just close it.
IMG_7804.JPG

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
I am so bummed out. My whole family was coming down this next weekend and I was going to show my nephews this sucker and now it will be in california for 3 to 4 weeks.

I was in sport mode this morning and started doing some up and down funnel maneuvers did it fine for like 3 or 4 times and then when I was coming down at 30 it just starts falling from the sky and bam crashed in the lot I own with grass on it. And it was wet grass too so it wasn't real hard. I really can't believe it screwed it up inside but it did. Get a red back light when I try to start it.

I was thinking what the **** could have happened I know I turned off the pull sticks down and inward thing for emergency stop but i know i turned it off. Then on the way to work it hit me. The stupid firmware upgrade. I guess it must have reset everything. Just pisses me off why does it have to reset everything can't those computer geeks stop that from happening? I wish I never had to update the stupid firmware just a bunch of suckers thinking of ways of keeping their jobs it's nothing but a pain in the butt.

It says system error on the controller and a red light on the back means it's going to cali for repair. Think they are going to charge me?

sorry bout your luck but you learned an expensive lesson. always check your setting. it's the same with computer software, when I do upgrades I always check my settings. I check Mavic settings almost always.

Two words: "Preflight Check." Now you know. Expensive lesson, but you really need to do one every time. Gimbal lock, prop damage, controller settings, SPORT MODE SETTING, etc. Firmware updates can change code in functions that already exist, as well as add new functionalities. In order for everything to work properly, settings are reset to a default value so there is a "common ground" to start from. Sorry for your loss.

Are you for real??? Doing acrobatics with your Mavic and blame the FW update for a crash that's your fault. Really!!!! You got what you deserved.
This drone is for taking awesome pics or video, not for loop da loops over a field. It really takes all kinds.......

On that note may I remind the kids that do try to loop da loop the Mavic or even try aggressive manuvers , at least put the gimbal in FPV mode so it stays locked forward and isn't being over taxed trying to keep stable . I'm not talking about FPV in the flight modes but in the camera settings for the gimbal .

I'm sorry for your loss...

But have you ever checked your settings? I have tested several birds, all were set to 'Emergency' by default. I can not imagine that it was different with you!

This means, of course, that your CSC was not a pilot error, but that the bird must have emanated from an emergency. This should also be apparent in the logs and lead to a warranty case!

So why complain about an important security feature that might have saved you and your nephews from worse?

If you describe your case to DJI in a open and friendly manner, you will also receive a fair treatment.
Of course, you should also share your records and submit your SDcard with videos in the bird! So, in case of any doubt, DJI can at least see you are a reasonable pilot.
And if no guarantee is possible, they will surely be so fair and will only charge you the most neccessary and a small service fee.
So were my experiences so far.

I would like to know why others here advise to take out the SD?
It can only be helpful in any case, especially if there are doubts and / or the logs are not clear.

I wish you good luck (and a full warehouse at your local DJI repair center) to get your bird back soon;-)

Just updated mine yesterday 2 flights before that. 5 and 6th flight on this mavic. Gps lockout and then the fight is on trying to get it back to you. Glad it dont loose Alt. Also 4 flight I tried to put it in sport mode.
Updated. Calibrated IMU and restored to stock setting
Flew it in whiteout condition to 2200 meters out sitting in my car because the Arctic it cold
When you get your back
Calibrate the IMU
I will do it after I come back from flying

I think it is common sense to make a system check before every flight. I mean, pilots do this every time before they fly. It is not like it takes forever. So, the way I look at it.. expensive lesson learned for you, and NOTE to be taken for everyone else.. SYSTEM CHECK before taking flight... firmware update or not!

Just updated mine yesterday 2 flights before that. 5 and 6th flight on this mavic. Gps lockout and then the fight is on trying to get it back to you. Glad it dont loose Alt. Also 4 flight I tried to put it in sport mode.
Updated. Calibrated IMU and restored to stock setting
Flew it in whiteout condition to 2200 meters out sitting in my car because the Arctic it cold
When you get your back
Calibrate the IMU
I will do it after I come back from flying

Do you loose much signal juice when sitting inside your car?
I've been thinking of going inside my car because of cold, but I've been afraid it'll go bad or some...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman