DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tello. Who's getting one? I did!

Not in the same class as the Spark. It's more of a toy IMO but it's a good flier considering the cost. Hovers quite well. I haven't measured it but the manual says 328 feet out. The positioning system works to about 30 feet and I don't want to try that until I get to an open area. I think when it gets out of range it's supposed to self land but I've yet to test that. The main issue so far for me is there isn't any support for a controller yet. I'm satisfied with the camera for the price. 5mp camera does really well. I posted some pics either here or over on the TelloPilots forum. The battery won't fall apart but it might be ejected in a hard crash.

Here is a link to the manual:
RYZE TELLO (01) PDF MANUAL

Last edited:
Reactions: gidi
Hi there,

I am considering buying a DJI Tello and I have some questions to ask:

1) What is the max distance / height it can fly up to? Can it t climb up to 25 meters?
2) Has anyone used it with a Wi-Fi extender?
3) Does it hover precisely (no input from user)?
4) Is it as much fun as it seems to be?
5) Would you prefer the tello over a spark (no remote) for fun flights?
6) As a selfie camera is it any good?
7) Is the battery easy to fall appart?
8) At what distance do the video problems start?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bye
Not in the same class as the Spark. It's more of a toy IMO but it's a good flier considering the cost. Hovers quite well. I haven't measured it but the manual says 328 feet out. The positioning system works to about 30 feet and I don't want to try that until I get to an open area. I think when it gets out of range it's supposed to self land but I've yet to test that. The main issue so far for me is there isn't any support for a controller yet. I'm satisfied with the camera for the price. 5mp camera does really well. I posted some pics either here or over on the TelloPilots forum. The battery won't fall apart but it might be ejected in a hard crash.

Here is a link to the manual:
RYZE TELLO (01) PDF MANUAL

Very much for your quick reply! When you get the chance to test it out on an open field and see the max range please get back to us .

Could you please let us know which one worked and if you had to do anything special (other than manually connect to Bluetooth) to connect.
Thanks.
Will do. Ordered the Tello today but not expecting delivery until late March or early April

I went to my local Drone shop today called Rise Above and got to view and hold it. Battery slides in from the back and seems pretty secure. It's a very lightweight drone but the guys there have flown and reviewed it on their site and they are super impressed for the price. Unfortunately they didn't fly it for me

Hi there,

I am considering buying a DJI Tello and I have some questions to ask:

1) What is the max distance / height it can fly up to? Can it t climb up to 25 meters?
2) Has anyone used it with a Wi-Fi extender?
3) Does it hover precisely (no input from user)?
4) Is it as much fun as it seems to be?
5) Would you prefer the tello over a spark (no remote) for fun flights?
6) As a selfie camera is it any good?
7) Is the battery easy to fall appart?
8) At what distance do the video problems start?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bye
1) I believe about 30m
2) dunno
3) yes
4) apparently yes
5) Spark. Totally different league
6) 5mp camera, so not bad for what it is
7) no
8) no video issues were reported by staff at Rise Above

Due to it's light weight, it's not recommended to fly outside if any wind, it will blow away. Would be ok without any wind and makes a perfect indoor drone

I just 'recommended' one to a mate, as he never has had a drone before... I hope my unseen, unflown, unknown advice comes off!!!
( My first recommendation was that he go for an I2 and X7.... after the response....I advised the Tello..)

I just 'recommended' one to a mate, as he never has had a drone before... I hope my unseen, unflown, unknown advice comes off!!!
( My first recommendation was that he go for an I2 and X7.... after the response....I advised the Tello..)
Guys at Rise Above highly recommend it. For $169AU he ain't gonna cry too much if shite hits fan lol

Hi Everyone,

I’ve attached a response from Ryze Support regarding what Controller is compatible with the Tello Drone.

Hope this helps.

Figures. Wish they would have gave us a warning. But I can wait. Really would like to see the batteries and charger before the controller.
Thanks for the info.

DJI does offer the extra batteries, props, prop Guards and snap-on colour as part of the accessories, but they are already all out of stock ;(

Ordered mine last night. Thanks dronerdave for the user manual link. Something to read/study before the Tello arrives.

I am seeing this as a platform to play with some coding and learning, more than a camera drone.

I don't have a Tello yet, but I'm working on a Python module for interacting with it based on the API docs. If anyone is feeling adventurous, feel free to try it out. I wrote a very simple Tello response emulator to do some basic sanity testing, but beyond that I haven't been able to put it to a real test.

Python interface for the Ryze Tello drone · GitHub

I was surprised to find this in stock at my local Walmart. I couldn't resist! $5 off for using the Walmart app and picked up in store. Paid $94.00 :)

Last edited:
I was surprised to find this in stock at my local Walmart. I couldn't resist! $5 off for using the Walmart app and picked up in store. Paid $94.00 :)
Now here’s the funny thing. I read this... and happen to be at my local Walmart.. and sure enough...whole shelf of them.. hahah!!

5F27384C-3C8F-4F3A-804E-281F79B1D89E.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear