DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tethering system

AnzacJack

Australian Defence Veteran
Reactions
was Reading about this system today. An interesting concept that would have more than a few applications.
I wonder how the airspace laws would apply as this thing is tethered.

$21000 dollars is quite a bit to pay!
I know, crazy..
But now I’ve seen it, I wouldn’t mind trying to develop something similar

Reactions: Thomas B
was Reading about this system today. An interesting concept that would have more than a few applications.
I wonder how the airspace laws would apply as this thing is tethered.
There was one flying tethered next to Mercedes-Benz Stadium at the Super Bowl, right over the security building they built for the game. Looked like a Matrice. Since that was probably the most secure airspace in the country at that moment, I assume it was operated by the federal government. Was up there for at least 5 hours before the game as well as afterward.

For Matrice and Inspire 2.

If we had a suitable voltage and battery connector solution available for Mavic drones how safe might it be to assume the drone will perform reliably with extended uninterrupted operation?

The price doesn’t seem ridiculous given the tech and expected demand.

Now I use Mavic to fly a 8 Oz sinker plus three baits and line 300 to 500 meters out to sea.
Handles it no problem.
Mavic capable of lifting 500 grams.
Remove the battery then it will lift 1kg no problem, so a light tethered wire capable of surplying 12.6 volt 12 amps might get 50 meters hight.

Now I use Mavic to fly a 8 Oz sinker plus three baits and line 300 to 500 meters out to sea.
Handles it no problem.
Mavic capable of lifting 500 grams.
Remove the battery then it will lift 1kg no problem, so a light tethered wire capable of surplying 12.6 volt 12 amps might get 50 meters hight.
You wouldn't need sufficient wire gauge to carry 12A. IR losses easily mitigated by increasing the supply voltage on the tether with a down conversion and regulation at the aircraft.

edit- Just followed the link- seems that is the implementation for the feedline- 1.2 or 2.5KV.

Lol choking hazard anyone

Remember the opening scene to Ghost Ship with the wire :p

would certainly require a modification of existing battery power drone motor systems to sustain 5 hours of non-stop flight. Maybe not but I would guess the motors and esc are not designed for continuous duty in our units that fly a max of 30 mins. Not that they cant do it, but if you are designing one with continuous duty in the specs you would design a few things differently. But cool idea, almost like my gas powered line airplane from 30+ years ago...!

would certainly require a modification of existing battery power drone motor systems to sustain 5 hours of non-stop flight. Maybe not but I would guess the motors and esc are not designed for continuous duty in our units that fly a max of 30 mins. Not that they cant do it, but if you are designing one with continuous duty in the specs you would design a few things differently. But cool idea, almost like my gas powered line airplane from 30+ years ago...!

"The Fourth Protocol' was on Tele last night.
Michale Caine is simultanesouly having an mi5 spy conversation while flying (and landing) a gas powered RC plane (the controller had knobs)
I dont know why. Futaba had sticks since the 70's as i just researched. (Really interesting channel if you into Old Skool RC)

Digression: Possibly the worlds most homophobic film too. It's set in 80's Britain, so If you are homosexual in it, it's like smoking pot or being a virgin. You are going to get taxed.

And thats all i have to say about The Tethering system :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidiophilifix