DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Mavic Air isn't a neighborhood drone...

R1Mavic

Reactions
Today I realized, for me, it's a "take me somewhere" drone. Here is a pic of my RC standing in my driveway. I cannot manage 600ft from the RC before this happens and it returns back to me.

C7Ifadp.jpg

Then I jumped in the car and went to a park that's just down the road and this is what I got from it. I'm a video beginner, so forgive the things that could be done better.
It's too bad I'll never be able to fly this around the house and record the area.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Today I realized, for me, it's a "take me somewhere" drone. Here is a pic of my RC standing in my driveway. I cannot manage 600ft from the RC before this happens and it returns back to me.

C7Ifadp.jpg

Then I jumped in the car and went to a park that's just down the road and this is what I got from it. I'm a video beginner, so forgive the things that could be done better.
It's too bad I'll never be able to fly this around the house and record the area.

Most likely WiFi interference close to home or in your immediate area.
One of the downfalls of WiFi transmission with the MA and the Spark.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
That was the typical range I got out of my Phantom 3 Standard, which also was Wi-Fi. It's disappointing DJI didn't use Light Bridge or OcuSync on the Air.

Reactions: jbundy63
Flew my Air from my driveway on Saturday. I'm pretty sure everyone on the street has wifi. No problems whatsovever. Video was solid. I didn't check whether I was on 2.4 or 5.8, but most WiFi routers here are putting out both bands. I did draw a few onlookers. Turns out they are waiting on delivery of a Spark so were interested in seeing a somewhat similar drone. I only flew down to the end of my street (about 500ft.) I just don't feel comfortable flying over my neighbor's homes. For me that's the neighborhood limit, not signal strength. Sorry your experience is not as good. (I'm in FCC region)

That was the typical range I got out of my Phantom 3 Standard, which also was Wi-Fi. It's disappointing DJI didn't use Light Bridge or OcuSync on the Air.
It was the same for even the P2V+. I thought that drone was going to be the last for WiFi, but then they placed the P3S as one of the first then surprised us again with the P34K in the P3 series.
After the MP and the P4 came out, Light Bridge and Ocusync, I thought we’re the last DJI would even look back on WIFi, but then came the spark.
It in the end, did not surprise me on the MA, however would have been nice if it was Ocusync.
The MP2 should be interesting on what DJI will do. Could it have Ocusync 2 as well?o_O

Yup, that happened to me on my maiden flight with the MA. I've never had a DJI drone do that before. Also just about the same distance in my neighborhood. Range in the 'burbs is limited. I took it to a park a couple miles away and I got about 1800' away before I lost sight of it and returned. I don't have such issues with my Mavic Pro or Phantom 4...

Glad it works as it should though with RTH!

C7Ifadp.jpg

I honestly don't know how they consider it a mavic without lightbridge. My P3S was rock solid in terms of crash resistance and upgrades. It's downfall was the limited range..even with a $300 external antenna setup it cold only go a little over 2K feet

I have to say I've really been pleasantly surprised with the distance I've seen with this drone. Blows every WiFi drone away I've flown. And it's not even close.

I have to say I've really been pleasantly surprised with the distance I've seen with this drone. Blows every WiFi drone away I've flown. And it's not even close.
I have 8 flights on my MA so far and it varies from different locations.
Out in the middle of no where, I’ve seen decent range. But that is expected with no other interference.
However, flying in the 5.8ghz frequency has been the best for congested areas.

The minute I realized the Air was Wifi only, I lost interest. I've flown my Mavic Pro in Wifi mode just for the sake of due diligence, but would never fly it that way for any other reason.

It's not the same as wifi. It's boosted wifi. I get around 2 miles on the Air.

Fly in 5.8 ghz thank me later ..... DJI just like the Phantom 4 Pro made 5.8 ghz stronger for FCC (us) then 2.4.... so 5.8 for me is so much more reliable than 2.4 because of the congestion and you get the same amount of distance....in fact with my Phantom 4 Pro I got my best distance consistently with 5.8. .. have you watched the everyday dad yt channel? He got the same amount of meters with 5.8 as he did with 2.4. On mav air... Back in the day this would be a different story, or if you lived in ce because dji made 5.8 weaker then fcc. But yeah back in the day I would have told you to keep it in 2.4 because you would get more distance . these days it's just not the case especially with DJI drones

I went less than 500 ft on 5.8 and the video feed was going in and out..
On 2.4 it went 1000 ft with better video ,but still not solid..
5.8 on mine is basically useless..

Did u try another channel on 5.8? Make sure you pick a good channel... I'm telling you made a world of difference on my Phantom 4 Pro and Air

Did u try another channel on 5.8? Make sure you pick a good channel... I'm telling you made a world of difference on my Phantom 4 Pro and Air
No.. I've just completed 3 flights..
I selected a good channel on 5.8 then switched to auto..
I assume it will find the best channel on 5.8 that way,but I'm not sure..

Then it does prove location definitely makes a difference,
More reports say that the 5.8 is more prominent in most congested areas.
Perhaps you are lucky with 2.4 and no congestion in your area.
What ever it takes to get the shots, yes?:cool:

Then it does prove location definitely makes a difference,
More reports say that the 5.8 is more prominent in most congested areas.
Perhaps you are lucky with 2.4 and no congestion in your area.
What ever it takes to get the shots, yes?:cool:
Yes that's correct..
So far it seems like my spark gets the same if not better range ,than the air and I believe and it's also on 2.4
I was expecting twice the range of the mavic air which would be up to 2000 ft in the city, but so far no dice..
My thoughts are that the mavic air is just a spark plus ..
The folding arms are cool ,but the size is similar to the spark as well as the performance.
Camera quality is also similar to an untrained eye..
So the air is 10 mph faster than the spark and flies for 6 or 7 minutes more with a couple new bells and whistles.
Like I said the cameras seem similar and the gimbal is better on the air...just my 2 cents worth of my perspective ..
I would have preferred if DJI would have just not released the spark and offered the Mavic Air at a lower price..
Mavic Jr would have been a decent name since they seem to want to ride on success the of the mavic name..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown