DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The NAS; The FAA makes a stand.

I wonder now if "this exact issue" is about this ticket, or another one? Seems awful quick to get a court date for the one he is ranting about..........

Reactions: BigAl07
It must not have went well. I would have expected some gloating the minute the hearing was over if he met with positive results.

It must not have went well. I would have expected some gloating the minute the hearing was over if he met with positive results.

FWIW I'd still love to know the outcome. If he won (which is very doubtful) it could set a precedence that could ripple across the country.

FWIW I'd still love to know the outcome. If he won (which is very doubtful) it could set a precedence that could ripple across the country.
IF he won, it would be interesting. At least for California state parks. But they could just as easily tighten up the regulations.
I hope he lets us know. I had no luck finding the court report online.

IF he won, it would be interesting. At least for California state parks. But they could just as easily tighten up the regulations.

Same here LOL!

In the end I had a hard time trusting almost anything he posted.

Maybe he shared the same attitude in court as he did here and drew a contempt charge? He's not responding because he's in a cell! (I know thats not how it works, but it'd be funny)

So, similar to national parks - if one were to launch and land outside of the property of say a no-drone-zone city park - the local authorities cannot govern our flights *over* that park...? I'm just trying to clarify, as nothing drives me more insane than a person rattling-off a list of violations, that I (we) haven't broken.

I recommend that all sUAS pilots should immediately begin using the relatively new FAA program called the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability system or (L.A.A.N.C.).

This is a collaboration between FAA and Industry. It directly supports UAS integration into the airspace.

It provides access to controlled airspace near airports through near real-time processing of airspace authorizations below approved altitudes in controlled airspace.

How does it work?

LAANC automates the application and approval process for airspace authorizations. Through automated applications developed by an FAA Approved UAS Service Suppliers (USS) pilots apply for an airspace authorization.

Requests are checked against airspace data in the FAA UAS Data Exchange such as temporary flight restrictions, NOTAMS and the UAS Facility Maps. If approved, pilots receive their authorization in near-real time.

LAANC also provides FAA's Air Traffic visibility into where and when planned drone operations will take place.

How does LAANC benefit me – The drone pilot?

Under the small UAS rule, pilots or operators planning to fly in controlled airspace under 400 ft. must receive an airspace authorization from the FAA.

LAANC dramatically decreases the wait time experienced with the manual authorization process and provides greater flexibility in operational planning.

Through LAANC pilots and drone companies can:

• Apply to receive a near real-time authorization for operations under 400 feet in controlled airspace around airports.
  • Request to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA.
Note: If you are planning an operation in controlled airspace that requires a waiver AND an airspace authorization you must apply for both through the Drone Zone.

Approved LAANC UAS Service Suppliers

The following companies have completed the technical steps required and entered into agreement with the FAA to provide LAANC Services:
This list will be updated as additional partners are approved.

I have been using the LAANC system ever since it was available in southern California. I use the AIRMAP app to access the LAANC system and I think the system is GREAT. The system allows sUAS pilots to program their own flight plan and submit it directly to the FAA for approval within 60 seconds. As the sUAS pilot looks at the screen on their iPhone or Android cell phone using the LAANC. The sUAS pilot can see immediately see if there are any NOTAMS, TFR's, NO FLY ZONES, or any flight restriction in that precise airspace even before they submit their flight plan to the FAA. I use this system even if I am going to be flying in "Class G" airspace just as backup in case any LEO comes up to me and says that my flight is against the law! You know for a fact that your flight plan has been sanctioned and approved by the FAA. There are so many state and local governments that are enacting "Anti-DRONE" laws that the FAA simply cannot keep up with them. Most of these state and local government sUAS regulations are completely unlawful if those regulations are not consistent with the FAA regulations. https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/UAS_Fact_Sheet_Final.pdf The LAANC informs the sUAS pilot who has requested to fly in restricted airspace, the precise procedure to follow in order to have permission to fly in that airspace. The sUAS pilot will receive contact information for all local airport(s) or helipad(s) that are in the requested flight plan. If you are in Class G airspace then the FAA will approve your flight plan within 60 seconds! For me, this is a great comfort to know that the FAA sanctioned my flight by approving my flight plan prior to the flight.

I recommend that all sUAS pilots should immediately begin using the relatively new FAA program called the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability system or (L.A.A.N.C.).

This is a collaboration between FAA and Industry. It directly supports UAS integration into the airspace.

It provides access to controlled airspace near airports through near real-time processing of airspace authorizations below approved altitudes in controlled airspace.

How does it work?

LAANC automates the application and approval process for airspace authorizations. Through automated applications developed by an FAA Approved UAS Service Suppliers (USS) pilots apply for an airspace authorization.

Requests are checked against airspace data in the FAA UAS Data Exchange such as temporary flight restrictions, NOTAMS and the UAS Facility Maps. If approved, pilots receive their authorization in near-real time.

LAANC also provides FAA's Air Traffic visibility into where and when planned drone operations will take place.

Under the small UAS rule, pilots or operators planning to fly in controlled airspace under 400 ft. must receive an airspace authorization from the FAA.

LAANC dramatically decreases the wait time experienced with the manual authorization process and provides greater flexibility in operational planning.

• Apply to receive a near real-time authorization for operations under 400 feet in controlled airspace around airports.
  • Request to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA.
Note: If you are planning an operation in controlled airspace that requires a waiver AND an airspace authorization you must apply for both through the Drone Zone.

The following companies have completed the technical steps required and entered into agreement with the FAA to provide LAANC Services:

I have been using the LAANC system ever since it was available in southern California. I use the AIRMAP app to access the LAANC system and I think the system is GREAT. The system allows sUAS pilots to program their own flight plan and submit it directly to the FAA for approval within 60 seconds. As the sUAS pilot looks at the screen on their iPhone or Android cell phone using the LAANC. The sUAS pilot can see immediately see if there are any NOTAMS, TFR's, NO FLY ZONES, or any flight restriction in that precise airspace even before they submit their flight plan to the FAA. I use this system even if I am going to be flying in "Class G" airspace just as backup in case any LEO comes up to me and says that my flight is against the law! You know for a fact that your flight plan has been sanctioned and approved by the FAA. There are so many state and local governments that are enacting "Anti-DRONE" laws that the FAA simply cannot keep up with them. Most of these state and local government sUAS regulations are completely unlawful if those regulations are not consistent with the FAA regulations. https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/UAS_Fact_Sheet_Final.pdf The LAANC informs the sUAS pilot who has requested to fly in restricted airspace, the precise procedure to follow in order to have permission to fly in that airspace. The sUAS pilot will receive contact information for all local airport(s) or helipad(s) that are in the requested flight plan. If you are in Class G airspace then the FAA will approve your flight plan within 60 seconds! For me, this is a great comfort to know that the FAA sanctioned my flight by approving my flight plan prior to the flight.
Thanks for the "cut and paste" :rolleyes:

1. LAANC is not yet available in all areas.
2. Having airspace authorization through LAANC (or through anything else) still doesn't give you permission to take off and land from properties where it is prohibited such as state parks in some states and National Park Serivce properties.
3. Airspace authorization does not mean that the FAA has "sanctioned" your flight.

Last edited:

How does it work?

Not really sure why you quoted my post for an irrelevant paste-post on LAANC (irrelevant to me anyways).

@CanyonRunVideos
Come on dude! The suspense is killing us. What happened with the court case on the 8/2 ?
Did we win or lose?

Odds are a WIN would have been broadcast from the rooftops IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the "cut and paste" :rolleyes:

1. LAANC is not yet available in all areas.
2. Having airspace authorization through LAANC (or through anything else) still doesn't give you permission to take off and land from properties where it is prohibited such as state parks in some states and National Park Serivce properties.
3. Airspace authorization does not mean that the FAA has "sanctioned" your flight.

Slow learner huh?

So if I'm interpreting this correctly - all of those state and city parks that have been "locally" designated as no-drone-zones, are in fact open to drones, unless otherwise designated directly by the FAA...?

Individual States do not have the jurisdiction to prohibit aircraft flight or operations of any kind.

U.S. Congress appointed the FAA as the sole government body that controls the National Airspace.

Take a look at the AIRMAP app to see if any state, county or city park has a TFR or NO FLY ZONE over them. You won’t find one because those local government bodies do not have the authority to place a TFR or NFZ over their parks, ONLY the FAA can do that!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter