DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Told to Hold off on update?

Just had a Birthday, and my dad surprised me with a Mavic Pro !!!! I am attempting to fly racers and have talked about getting a DJI drone for aerial video and while at the Hobby store getting parts for my uncles drone to fix it for my dad since he crashed it (Typhoon Q500), I pointed out the awesome Mavic to him, to my great surprise he bought it for me, Best dad ever !! anyhow as the title states, the dealer told me to NOT update the firm ware , something about the last patch really messed something up to the point that some pilots could not even fly, so is this true, when and how would I get more info regarding this ect......
Dji Europe asked me to ship(RMA) my Mavic for repair due to unable upgrade latest firmware. Seems to be hardware related thing?

I will clearly hold off till I get an offical notification that they have fixed or made a stable APP upgrade.

The .600 version caused my camera to sit off center and a gimbal reboot in-flight, as others have experienced.

My first DJI product, may be my last. Tried to update my brand new Mavic using the DJIGo4 app on my iPhone 6S. I had watched multiple how to videos on the process. Update failed after several attempts. Tried to update via Assistant 2 app on my iMac, that failed too. Tried to update quad and controller separately, that failed too. Attempts to restore to previous versions and even restore to factory settings has gotten me nowhere. Tried to contact DJI support via phone, chat and email eventually being told I need to send it in. I was told I'd get a UPS label within 24 to 48 hours. I'm still waiting for that four days later. I know many have had no issues but I have had a nightmare.

I'm running the current firmware (.600) and all has been working okay for me. The firmware can be rolled back, so there really is no reason to not install it.
I am new so forgive me .
1. So if I am satisfied with my mavic I just refuse the update (if so how do I prevent the message popping up continuously?)
2. If I ever want to go back to a previous update I would go to the DJI website download and upload. The "new old" upload will overwrite everything previously ?

Thanks.

Yes Really!
That's the contract you agreed to and paid $99 for. I suggest you go to the DJI website and see if you can find where it states you must have the latest firmware to have your refresh service honored. Also you do not need to have the latest firmware to have your regular warranty honored.

In 30 years as an EE I have never come across a Consumer product that included a clause that invalidates a warranty if the firmware is not up to date. There are many countries and regions of the world that have poor or almost no internet service. How would these people even do a firmware update?

Rob

I get that. I haven't used the Refresh yet and, God willing, I hope that I don't have to use it. My original point was that I've read on here about poor customer service from DJI. It would appear that it may leave open the possibility to deny a Refresh claim due to FW version. After all, the nature of FW updates are to correct anomalies, errors and add enhancement/features etc... Personally, I like to cover all bases to counter a possible denial of a claim...

I am new so forgive me .
1. So if I am satisfied with my mavic I just refuse the update (if so how do I prevent the message popping up continuously?)
2. If I ever want to go back to a previous update I would go to the DJI website download and upload. The "new old" upload will overwrite everything previously ?

Thanks.

1) The message only pops up once when you first connect the remote and APP to the Mavic. Just Press "GO FLY" and ignore it.

2) The .400 update will soon be removed so when that happens you can still update to the latest version at anytime but once you update it will be impossible to go back to .400 because it will no longer be offered.

Rob

Just had a Birthday, and my dad surprised me with a Mavic Pro !!!! I am attempting to fly racers and have talked about getting a DJI drone for aerial video and while at the Hobby store getting parts for my uncles drone to fix it for my dad since he crashed it (Typhoon Q500), I pointed out the awesome Mavic to him, to my great surprise he bought it for me, Best dad ever !! anyhow as the title states, the dealer told me to NOT update the firm ware , something about the last patch really messed something up to the point that some pilots could not even fly, so is this true, when and how would I get more info regarding this ect......
My Mavic came with the .003 firmware installed. I initially had a few problems with disconnects from the RC. Also the DJIGO4 app crashed continually. So I thought I'd update to the then latest firmware, which was .004. The update failed and I never got the time to try the update again. Next time I went flying all was good. No more disconnects and even the DJIGO4 app stopped crashing! Don't ask me why, coz I can't explain it! But from that moment, my Mavic has worked perfectly. I must be the only person still on the .003 firmware (it does everything I want it to do) and as long as it stays working, I'm sticking with it! If things start to go wrong in the future, then I'll consider updating to a newer firmware. Done 70+ flights and no problems......

I have also been holding off, but after reading the positive comments for the newest, I will do it soon. MSinger, thanks for the link to the DJI video, very helpful for us newbies.

Your dad probably wants you to go fly with him. Best thing you can give back is being with him sharing an interest.

A common denominator with problems seems to be android phone lock ups.

My Mavic came with the .003 firmware installed. I initially had a few problems with disconnects from the RC. Also the DJIGO4 app crashed continually. So I thought I'd update to the then latest firmware, which was .004. The update failed and I never got the time to try the update again. Next time I went flying all was good. No more disconnects and even the DJIGO4 app stopped crashing! Don't ask me why, coz I can't explain it! But from that moment, my Mavic has worked perfectly. I must be the only person still on the .003 firmware (it does everything I want it to do) and as long as it stays working, I'm sticking with it! If things start to go wrong in the future, then I'll consider updating to a newer firmware. Done 70+ flights and no problems......

A common denominator with problems seems to be android phone lock ups.
Not in my case. My Mavic with S7 updated like a charm.
However, my son's Mavic encountered problem after problem with update sticking at 78% etc. Tried it on 2 phones, 2 laptops, 1 high end desktop. Tried it in store with an authorized DJI store.. all failed to update to 6.
Finally pulled out old desktop and upgraded first time.
All this after 3 days and huge frustration.
Mavic has to be returned though.. dead front right sensor. Perhaps all these glitches might relate to hardware after all.

My first DJI product, may be my last. Tried to update my brand new Mavic using the DJIGo4 app on my iPhone 6S. I had watched multiple how to videos on the process. Update failed after several attempts. Tried to update via Assistant 2 app on my iMac, that failed too. Tried to update quad and controller separately, that failed too. Attempts to restore to previous versions and even restore to factory settings has gotten me nowhere. Tried to contact DJI support via phone, chat and email eventually being told I need to send it in. I was told I'd get a UPS label within 24 to 48 hours. I'm still waiting for that four days later. I know many have had no issues but I have had a nightmare.
UPDATE - I was finally able to get my Mavic in the air. I re-loaded the Assistant 2 app on my iMac and retried refreshing my Mavic to the previous firmware version. That seemed to do the trick. Needless to say I am not going to update my firmware anytime soon. Aside from some yaw drift, it seems to be working as expected. I calibrated the IMU and compass before the first flight. Yahooooooo!

i bought mine last week and have flew it a few times perfectly, mostly in normal conditions. flew once in high winds and still had no issues. this is all with the latest firmware installed :)

I'm running the current firmware (.600) and all has been working okay for me. The firmware can be rolled back, so there really is no reason to not install it.
How long can it be rolled back and how far? I'm sticking with .04 until I have no choice.

How about some empirical data? Imho I haven't seen a refresh honored on this forum without the latest FW installed, really?
The "empirical data" is the contract that does not require latest firmware.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78