DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travelling* to somewhere cold

Mcgon

Reactions
Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed extensively across a few posts, but I just wanted to catch up post IMU firmware fix. (addressed the cold weather shakes).

I plan to fly in -5c to -10c (23F to 14F). not extreme cold by any means. I understand this is outside of the operating boundaries set by DJI for the AIR - but just wanted to confirm others have flown in this temp without any problems?

I will obviously, be ensuring batteries at room temp before beginning and letting motors idle for 1min before take off.

*I think I'm more nervous about going through three different European airports security. Hopefully no issues. Not keen on taping over the contacts (in case it leaves adhesive on them), but they will be insulated from contact in the bag anyway. Will see how I get on tomorrow.

I have used the drone on -5c to -10c with no problem (Iceland). Anyway, I would be cautious to fly too high, as -5c on ground can be -20c at 100m; add cold wind to that and you might have nasty surprises with battery duration.

Reactions: Mcgon
That's great feedback. Thank you both.
I had actually considered that to fly high in such weather might be much colder than ground level, so great to hear you make that point. I'll definitely not exceed 50m most likely.

My first two flights were on frozen lake. Actually so far all of my flights have been in cold weather and in one case even 18-22mph winds.

MA held great! Coldest temperature was -6c (21f) and warmest +3 (37f)

Battery goes down really, really fast. I didn't use stopwatch but my guesstimate is between 10-12min max. For the record we didn't really worry all that much about battery temp nor did I let it idle for any meaningful period of time because we wanted to push it and see how it reacts in "run and gun" situations.

All in all we didn't experience any malfunctions or problems at all. Only thing I would recommend is to be careful if you experience strong gusts of wind. It will cause MA to move of course so avoid flying around branches and treetops.

Reactions: Mcgon
My Air had the shakes, but the firmware fixed it. As long as you are patched, you will not have a problem.

Flew perfectly. Really happy with how stable and reliable the AIR seems so far. Only flew out to 200m and up to 65m. -6c (21f) no shakes and battery lasted as expected. So convenient traveling with this. Easy experience in the airport.
Thanks for the advice.

Edit: I flew 660m in this non-remote area before signal loss. More than enough.

Attachments

• DJI_0020x-picsay.JPG
    DJI_0020x-picsay.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: Coskier
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads