DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to schedule Drone SAR training in Florida in the fall

We're working with Greg Webb (on the forum) trying to schedule drone SAR training in Florida in the fall. Preferably in northern Florida or in the panhandle. Anyone in Florida that's interested might want to hook up with Greg.

No one hitting on this in Florida?

Actually I'm on fence with this DSAR thing.

Maybe in Ocala, Everglades’ maybe. S&R is a necessary service and there has been a small number of S&R activities that have used UAVs. (Very very small number) But the truth is, say you have a lost person in the Everglades. Helo’s are the way to go! I fav our AH-60, 920th Rescue Wing. Flight time to get there, flight time in the air for the search and can drop down to the treetops or lower to actually see something. Not so for a UAV. Airboat to get there, (Python has gulped me down be then) minimal flight time, and if you’re up in any altitude’ as we all know it’s hard to tell if it’s a person or not (Unless you have thermal, or you have the zoom) you start heading lower to see and poof no signal CRAP! Python just had a snack!

Say you’re in Ocala, or, I don’t know, Northern Arkansas, you get to the “somewhat location” and off you go on your savior hunt. Well, as we all know – again - you get on your way and crap signal loss because of the trees, and that wouldn’t take long to do! Colorado mountains might be good but here we go again, signal loss if your over a ridge or around the corner for that matter.

Flight time and signal loss is your enemy using UAV/Quads, that’s just being truthful. I don’t know if I would invest time into DSAR when lives are on the line and there are proven/efficient ways of doing things. But hey, If I was retired and wanted to play with my Quad in a yellow/green jacket by all means go for it, I’m all for education and keeping Fred active!

If the members in this form were in the Everglades and needed help no question seeing the 920th show up overhead would be a life savior, time will not be on their side.

I've also been working with a SWAT team who uses drones - both an M2E and an MA. They use the MA to clear buildings indoors greatly reducing the risk to personnel. They can fly the MA through a window on the second floor of a two story structure and clear the entire building if needed - all while outside.

The Paris Fire department used drones to in fighting the Notre Dame fire.

Talk to the family of the teenager swept away in high water in Mentone, AL in March when the weather did not permit helo operations and the raging river hampered ground search teams.

Drones save lives. Yes, so do helos which are exponentially more expensive and not always immediately available.

If someone wants to fly drones only for fun, go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
I've also been working with a SWAT team who uses drones - both an M2E and an MA. They use the MA to clear buildings indoors greatly reducing the risk to personnel. They can fly the MA through a window on the second floor of a two story structure and clear the entire building if needed - all while outside.

The Paris Fire department used drones to in fighting the Notre Dame fire.

Talk to the family of the teenager swept away in high water in Mentone, AL in March when the weather did not permit helo operations and the raging river hampered ground search teams.

Drones save lives. Yes, so do helos which are exponentially more expensive and not always immediately available.

If someone wants to fly drones only for fun, go for it.

Oh I'm not saying they haven't assisted in S&R, they have, and I believe they will get better with time.

I also work with SWAT members here at PAFB, CG, AF, Army, Marines too lol, and they will crack up seeing a MA coming through a window. First smack with a fly swatter and there goes your drone. Now - they can see if no one is in the vicinity, but let’s be real again. Someone hears that little flying thing and bang, smack, they goes your recon! If that sucker holds a shotgun, that’s what you call clearing the building! But no…they don’t.

Yes, Parisian firefighters used DJI drones to track the progression of the Notre Dame fire and to find the best positions to aim fire hoses. They used FLIR, it's a camera. Best developed by Lockheed Martin, Orlando plant for the Sniper Pod, HELLFIRE, DAGR, and others I can't chat about.

I’m still on the fence, rolling fingers…

Oh I'm not saying they haven't assisted in S&R, they have, and I believe they will get better with time.

I also work with SWAT members here at PAFB, CG, AF, Army, Marines too lol, and they will crack up seeing a MA coming through a window. First smack with a fly swatter and there goes your drone. Now - they can see if no one is in the vicinity, but let’s be real again. Someone hears that little flying thing and bang, smack, they goes your recon! If that sucker holds a shotgun, that’s what you call clearing the building! But no…they don’t.

Yes, you will almost certainly lose the drone. But the team now has actionable intelligence. You know for certainty someone is in there. And you may have enough time before you lose the drone to get more intelligence - i.e., and see there are 2 individuals not just one, they have a hostage, etc.

Sorry that you're so jaded, sarcastic and hostile. Many in the Navy laughed at Charles Swede Momsen and his new-fangled ideas for submarine rescue ..... until the Squalus sank off the New England coast and he rescued survivors from a sunken sub for the first time in history. Like the doubters then, you can laugh and hoot and holler. We will continue to press the edge of the envelope to try and make a difference.

Well that's all GREAT and AWESOME but you do realize not every dept/entity has a money tree or a bottomless well of $$ to buy equipment with. You buy what you can and use what you have. If you can afford the best of the best then GREAT but more often than not you use what you have and make the best of it.

Guess what the first sUAS I used to fly through an open window in a live SWAT mission... it was a $55 Blade GLIMPSE (I think I got the name right). It worked perfectly to give our IC a peep inside the building to see what was going on inside the church. That small, cheap, and very replaceable sUAS gave us the intel we needed to develop our Entry Plan and it went off splendidly and the only person hurt was the guy holding the shotgun (He fell up some stairs somehow). We used what we had and used it to the best of our ability.

Circling back to the your original comment.... our IC didn't say, "Hey do you have any military grade drones that can fly through that window, has thermal, and is shotgun proof?" No he said, "Do you have a drone that can give me eyes inside this building right now?" That was a resounding "YES SIR.... here goes".

Yes, you will almost certainly lose the drone. But the team now has actionable intelligence. You know for certainty someone is in there. And you may have enough time before you lose the drone to get more intelligence - i.e., and see there are 2 individuals not just one, they have a hostage, etc.

Sorry that you're so jaded, sarcastic and hostile. Many in the Navy laughed at Charles Swede Momsen and his new-fangled ideas for submarine rescue ..... until the Squalus sank off the New England coast and he rescued survivors from a sunken sub for the first time in history. Like the doubters then, you can laugh and hoot and holler. We will continue to press the edge of the envelope to try and make a difference.

Ahhh, I'm not jaded, sarcastic, or hostile. I'm on the fence with this, by you posting promos from DJI has no effect my opinion. I do believe in time more and more of UAV technology will help in S&R. At the moment, weeeeee little.

We're working with Greg Webb (on the forum) trying to schedule drone SAR training in Florida in the fall. Preferably in northern Florida or in the panhandle. Anyone in Florida that's interested might want to hook up with Greg.

We'll see what Greg comes up with. Panhandle would be good, and not too far from Alabama.

A little about Bob, the founder of DSAR Dronesar.info. He probably wont feel comfortable about me writing this about him, because he is extremely humble, but here goes anyway.

Bob @RCdancer is a very unique individual. He is tireless, purposeful, determined, and well intentioned. I have had the pleasure of meeting him, and Charlie @FatherXmas a few times, and spending a good amount of time with him. He is the type of person that says what he means and means what he says. I imagine that in his military career, his men loved serving under him. He is not the "Blood and Guts" type that Patton was, but he understands a situation, and gets to the bottom of it. He has earned my respect, and I would follow him into battle every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Not many people have earned my respect as he has.

What might be a small organization right now, will some day be a very thriving one. He has laid the groundwork for a bright future for DSAR, and I am happy to help him along the way. He is inspirational, down to earth, and leads, instead of asking others to go first. A very fine commander.

Bob, you have done so much for everyone, and helped countless people when they need it most. Keep on doing what you are doing, and know that you have many supporters in what you do.

Reactions: Aviator and BigAl07
Thanks much. I don't deserve it. Actually it's people like Thunderdrones (nothing more to say about him beyond one of the best known and respected pilots on here, and with technical knowledge of drones unmatched by very few), FatherXmas (20 years in the Fire/EMT/SAR who serves on a Rescue Squad despite having a full-time job and who recently spent 2 miserable days searching a flooded river with his drone for a teenager washed away in high water where ground search was impossible) and tleedoom (ex Army aviator with 4000hrs, 700hrs night vision goggle/night systems (Flir) and Full mission qualified Special Operations MH6 pilot .... and who rescued someone from nearly 14000 ft up a mountain).

All these who volunteered, stepped up the plate and went way beyond what people normally would) are the ones who deserve the accolades. It's a pleasure and honor to serve with people like them.

Last edited:

Yes, Parisian firefighters used DJI drones to track the progression of the Notre Dame fire and to find the best positions to aim fire hoses. They used FLIR, it's a camera. Best developed by Lockheed Martin, Orlando plant for the Sniper Pod, HELLFIRE, DAGR, and others I can't chat about.

I’m still on the fence, rolling fingers…

You might consider doing a little reading. Do you have much experience with classified information with the Dept of Defense? Sounds like you work for the NSA, CIA, or something. Not sure about you, or your experience, but sounds like youre not up on the latest technology.

Maybe you missed this one. If you are a bad guy, and you see one of these "little flying things" I hope you are wearing some kevlar. To you, small recon and SAR drones are a joke, but to the people that need and use them, they save lives.

Bob is also looking for ways to provide an on-call industrial sized drone for any agency that needs it. The drone will be overnighted to the agency, and ready to go. Still in the planning stage, but its a great idea.

He keeps coming up with these ideas for absolutely no reason but to help others. We need more people like him in this world.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you can't be NICE when posting then please refrain from posting at all. We take BEING NICE very serious on our forum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13