DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using iPhone 7 with controller? PLEASE run a test...

FlashGJ

Reactions
Trying to determine if I have a faulty iPhone 7. I can never use Follow Me mode or set Home Point to the current location of Controller, I always get a "GPS signal weak" error message. Those two functions work great if I use my iPad Mini, but at same locations, if I try using my iPhone 7 I always get the error messages.

I have tried reseting network, location services and restoring my iPhone and still getting same result. Before I try getting a replacement from Apple, I would like to know if other iPhone 7 users can use both those functions. There seems to be a possible issue with the GPS chip used in the 7 and I would like to know if it is in fact an isolated problem or a wide spread problem.

Thanks is advance for testing and replying.

I have the same issue. Also iPhone 7.
100% the same. Works with iPad.
Delano, thanks for your reply.

Anyone else using iPhone 7? Would like to find out if it effects all 7's or are some working just fine.

Is the app on your allowed list in location services?

IMG_0340.jpg

Yes I do. Just trying to help. Mine has been working well.
That is what I need to know!! You can swipe left on the controller and select "Me" (the controller) and it will update your Home Point to the controllers current position?

So if yours can do that, then I may try to get Apple to swap mine out for a new iPhone. Apparently, some batches of 7's have a faulty GPS chip.

My iPhone 7 has had 40 flawless flights. I have even set the home point, walked distance and reset home point mid flight. Worked fine

Had a 6S and had battery issues. Upgraded to the 7 and I guess I'm lucky?

My iPhone 7 has had 40 flawless flights. I have even set the home point, walked distance and reset home point mid flight. Worked fine

Had a 6S and had battery issues. Upgraded to the 7 and I guess I'm lucky?
Squamer, thank you for your input. Looks like I will be making a trip to the Apple Store.

Reactions: Squamer
I have exact same problem with iPhone 7 Plus!!!
Everything else works right
flies wonderful
Just GPS weak signal when trying to follow me mode or changing home!!
iPad mini works perfect locks on great.
Will try 6S plus tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have delayed taking my 7 to an Apple Store for replacement. I found a 6s Plus for a very good price, it does not suffer from the "weak GPS signal" issue, so I have now made it my dedicated flying device. I may still see if I can get my 7 replaced at sometime, but it can now wait until I have more time to deal with it.

My 7 plus doesn't work-- completely!!!
WEAK GPS error when trying to use follow me or changing home point!!!!
Will not work!!!!!
Tried changing cables- remove- reinstall app-
Even went to Apple Store and exchanged for BRAND NEW 7 Plus--
It didn't work either - doesn't work--
All other functions and modes work perfectly.
Fits in controller wonderful even with Case still on the phone.
But I bought the drone specifically for the follow me mode and it's unusable with my fancy expensive 7+ iPhone.
Very frustrating
Follow me does work well with all 6S plus and also I pad mini that I tried.
Bought a cheap refurbished acer 7 inch tablet for 63 bucks and GPS works perfect on it but it is android and android is not as smooth as iOS and the maps suck.

My 7 plus doesn't work-- completely!!!
WEAK GPS error when trying to use follow me or changing home point!!!!
Will not work!!!!!
Tried changing cables- remove- reinstall app-
Even went to Apple Store and exchanged for BRAND NEW 7 Plus--
It didn't work either - doesn't work--
All other functions and modes work perfectly.
Fits in controller wonderful even with Case still on the phone.
But I bought the drone specifically for the follow me mode and it's unusable with my fancy expensive 7+ iPhone.
Very frustrating
Follow me does work well with all 6S plus and also I pad mini that I tried.
Bought a cheap refurbished acer 7 inch tablet for 63 bucks and GPS works perfect on it but it is android and android is not as smooth as iOS and the maps suck.

Hated to hear that exchanging for a new iPhone did not fix your problem, that really does suck. I was going to try exchanging my 7 until I found the used 6+. I wanted the bigger screen for flying anyway, so I didn't mind spending the extra money. But why are some iPhones experiencing this problem while others with the same model are working fine? Is it hardware or some kind of conflict on some setups? It is very frustrating!!! And makes it very difficult to solve when we don't know the source of the problem.

My suspicion is the modem in the phone.
If we could get others to respond maybe we could narrow it down!
My iPhone 7 Plus is locked into AT&T carrier and therefore has the inferior intel modem.
Maybe others will chime in and we can see if the modem is the problem.
And yes the modem is used by the GPS for location.

My iPhone 7 is on AT&T and has the problem. Hopefully others will chime in if their 7 works or not and what carrier it is, then we might figure out if that is in fact the source of our problem. I have a feeling that Wolfmad is right.

I'm using an iPhone 7 (three U.K.) with no issues. The phone was bought from apple network free though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh