DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Quality Issue

Res89

Reactions
I believe I am having an issue with my video quality, maybe someone with a keen eye for flaws can share their opinion, I've tried fooling with the settings a bit but I can't seem to get rid of this pixelated/grainy look (which isn't horrible, but it just seems to slightly overlay all of my footage). I realize my location probably isn't the best for judging this kind of thing but it's all I've got so far. It doesn't seem too severe but none of my footage is coming out clear, here is a short clip displaying my issue. It might be worth mentioning that it was between 10-15F when I filmed this.

Last edited:
What was the ISO in that example?
High ISO will give you a rather grainy look but when it's getting dark is probably required even in full manual mode.

That's pretty low light levels for any video let alone a tiny camera on a cold windy day.

My ISO throughout filming today was set to 100. I'd love to test it in more ideal conditions, unfortunately this has been our weather for the last week :(

Here is a significantly longer video in which it is still present.

Try this?
Film-H color
Hi all,
I've been working with the different color modes in the Mavic, and I find that the Film-H mode works really well, especially with water scenes. It seems to really give water a deep blue, and the other colors look great too. Here is a link to a video I shot without any filter on the lens, late evening in cinematic mode.
4k30, sunny white balance, auto exposure
SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

Fly safe... :)

The longer one looks a bit oversharp perhaps.
I'm using Cinelike with -1,-2,-1 but what's best depends a lot on how you are editing and personal taste as much as anything.

I'll try both settings suggested tomorrow, however I fiddled with sharpness a bit in post and bringing it down didn't seem to help the quality at all, referring to the second video.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Unfortunately wasn't able to get any footage today as my Mavic was having serious issues getting a decent GPS signal and it was too windy to attempt anything.

Did some flying this morning and uploaded two more videos. I think they both look better than the previous two I linked but the issue is still apparent, much more so in the raw footage. I changed my settings to -1, -1, -1 None (as I won't be doing much editing yet). Again, I think these are the best clips I have taken so far (minus some poor flying in the longer one). Would love to get some more feedback on my issue.

First video:

Second:

Just got back from shooting, tried out 4k@30 again and it looked much the same, 4k@24 was quite similar, 2.7k@30 looked better but the issue was still very apparent. -1, -1, -1 as before. When I got home I reviewed the footage to find out nothing really changed, I then took the drone outside into my backyard and reset the camera. Upon resetting the camera and leaving the camera to auto adjust itself (with the ISO static at 100 for the duration of the clip) I thought the video looked A LOT better. I am in the process of uploading it and will post it here soon. The issue is still there but it seems to not be as blatant as with the footage I posted before. Let me know what you guys think, I am still debating a factory reset to downgrade the firmware but if this "fix" is enough to produce some quality footage I may just leave it alone.

Video AFTER camera reset (4k@30, None):

Comparison also after reset (2.7k@30, Cinelike):

Last edited:
Good stuff:). I've settled on H or I with sharpness at +1 everything else at 0... is giving me the colours I like without post editing. 2.7k and in .mov with pal as I am in Europe. Think .mov uses a little less data overall than MP4 in terms of video size. Took a lot of side by side shooting but I'm happy at that. 4K is too high for me as,I don't want to render and my tv is not 4K as of now..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good stuff:). I've settled on H or I with sharpness at +1 everything else at 0... is giving me the colours I like without post editing. 2.7k and in .mov with pal as I am in Europe. Think .mov uses a little less data overall than MP4 in terms of video size. Took a lot of side by side shooting but I'm happy at that. 4K is too high for me as,I don't want to render and my tv is not 4K as of now..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm, are you able to post a video? I'd like to see what kind of results you're getting with sharpness that high(and if they differ from my Mavic). Also I've watched some tutorials featuring H and I and noting they are great for people who won't be doing much editing so I'm thinking I'll give them a shot! Also may drop to -2 sharpness and see if that eliminates the noise completely, just hoping the image won't be too blurry. Will update this thread again with new footage soon.

Hmm, are you able to post a video? I'd like to see what kind of results you're getting with sharpness that high(and if they differ from my Mavic). Also I've watched some tutorials featuring H and I and noting they are great for people who won't be doing much editing so I'm thinking I'll give them a shot! Also may drop to -2 sharpness and see if that eliminates the noise completely, just hoping the image won't be too blurry. Will update this thread again with new footage soon.

I will do this weekend. The weather has been crappy and work busy..

Took an attempt at some color grading and these are the results. The second video I think is the best quality I've seen out of my Mavic with or without editing so far, not really sold on the first but I still think it looks better than my older videos, seems like the camera did some good.

Video #1:

Video #2:

Here's that link with those settings. I have to confess I just did the litchi hack to get art back...
https://www.skypixel.com/pilot/videos/share/anil-and-erica-dec-2016-new-years?account=mlalloo

Reactions: younumpty
Nice video, it does look pretty good. Is that with no editing as well? And also from my understanding Cinelike is pretty similar to Art and I don't need to pay $30 for Litchi to get it, its what I've been using recently as well.

Yes it's with zero post editing. In fact I just stuck it together with the app straight from my iPad mini. I'm not into editing as I've no clue about photography really. I just like to fly and always have. From model planes as a kid to drones and planes now.
My point is it shouldn't take a pro photographer to get nice shots. That's the point of these drones surely? Perhaps they've made them too easy to fly in favour of the photography?
Any way I think whatever works. It seems that everyone's Mavic gives different results. I should have dialled the controller to get a brighter picture. If you fly smooth it seems to help too. My Phantom 4 Pro is such a superior machine but it's not travel friendly. Hence the beauty of the Mavic. I'm in Europe and travelling to the states for Christmas with the Mavic was a joy. :)

I believe I am having an issue with my video quality, maybe someone with a keen eye for flaws can share their opinion, I've tried fooling with the settings a bit but I can't seem to get rid of this pixelated/grainy look (which isn't horrible, but it just seems to slightly overlay all of my footage). I realize my location probably isn't the best for judging this kind of thing but it's all I've got so far. It doesn't seem too severe but none of my footage is coming out clear, here is a short clip displaying my issue. It might be worth mentioning that it was between 10-15F when I filmed this.

I am having the same issue, i think it is the camera itself, i will need to research more into it as it comes in more in my case when i post edit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugsoft