DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video with flight info

That's a great blog, thanks for sharing. Would it be possible to list all the parameters which are recorded in the telemetry log? I don't have a mavic yet but I would like to know before purchasing. If possible would you be able to share the original video and raw telemetry data for the footage?

Give me some days and I will do a smaller video for you and give you the files. :)

For those using racerender.. how are you dealing with multiple csv files and multiple video files and making sure everything is in sync.. i think i may have an issue with some of my tests.. where i first combined the video files into one (sony vegas) then tried to import that video + multiple csv files in the racerender inputs..

Also.. sometimes the racerender even with multiple video files.. shows no data for parts of the video (i think a glitch on my one flight maybe).

Reactions: bobeirasa
There is another way - if you navigate to camera settings and turn on the 'Video Caption' option, a .SRT (subtitle) file will be written for every video file which is recorded on the SD card.

Playing back the video file (with the .srt file in the same location) using something like VLC will overlay basic flight data in the playback window. I have not spent much time on it, but I couldn't see any way to edit the content of the subtitle stream.

Not in a position to check right now, but I know that GPS co-ordinates and camera setting are written for sure.

There is another way - if you navigate to camera settings and turn on the 'Video Caption' option, a .SRT (subtitle) file will be written for every video file which is recorded on the SD card.

Playing back the video file (with the .srt file in the same location) using something like VLC will overlay basic flight data in the playback window. I have not spent much time on it, but I couldn't see any way to edit the content of the subtitle stream.

Not in a position to check right now, but I know that GPS co-ordinates and camera setting are written for sure.

You get Home position, Date/Time, Current GPS position, Barometer, ISO, Shutter EV, and Fnum
12.07.png

I downloaded the free RaceRender yesterday on my MacBook and by the end of the day had bought the Ultimate edition. I think I've already had $60 worth of fun with it.
For the short clip below, I uploaded the DJI GO 4 plain-text log file to AirData, and then downloaded it to the Mac again as a CSV. That's what you need to sync the data with the video.
I started out using their canned altimeter and speedometer, but decided to customize my own from the tachometer template, which has a cleaner layout and the option of a redline. The indicators in the lower right are for pitch and roll. You have to link a specific column in the spreadsheet as the input for each gauge or readout. The two lines in the lower center are just text labels. Sometimes the position of a number or label won't be the same in the finished video as it was when you were designing the overlay, so some trial and error is needed.
CSV files from Litchi are significantly different than those converted from GO 4, so the overlay template I saved from my first RaceRender project probably won't work with those. I might try to write an Excel macro to clean up Litchi files and make the column labels consistent with the GO 4 CSVs. That way, once I'm in RaceRender it won't matter what app the CSV came from.
I've now spent almost two full days on this, so I think I'll work on something else for a while. The rest of the week looks like good flying weather. Good thing I'm retired. Thumbswayup

I have been struggling with the same problem on Mac OSX.

I tried DashWare and RaceRender but both didn’t work that smooth for me on my machine.
So I’ve decided to give it a try and see if I can add telemetry data onto of my video using my Mac.

The short answer is “Yes”, I’ve created a simple application that let you “insert” logfiles from Airdata.com over your video.

There are still many things I need to sort out, but I’ll get there.
At the moment you can select what elements to show/hide, and there is a possibility to trim the GPS track to the video.
If all goes well ill publish it in the AppStore soon for free as a Mac OSX app.

But at the moment I am looking for someone to help me “test” my app and give me some feedback.
If you want to test please send me a DM and I will send you a beta link in the coming days.
Then we can make this better together....

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1