DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We Are Not Pilots

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I object to the use of the word "Pilot" in describing those of us who fly Mavic quadcopters, or any Phantom series quadcopters.

Most of us have nothing near a "pilots" training and some of us simply hope to pass the Part 107 exam.

At best, we are "drone operators" who post videos on youtube.

My two centavos...

Last edited:
"A pilot or aviator is a person who controls the flight of an aircraft by operating its directional flight controls"

Source:Pilot (aeronautics) - Wikipedia

images

The term "Pilot" does not necessarily imply one who operates an aircraft. I have a pilot in my gas stove as well as my hot water heater. I am an FAA licensed commercial pilot with more than 4000 hours in a Marine Corp A1. That said, I still prefer being call "The Duke of Chalfont". I'd like to hear you dos centavos worth on that.

The term "Pilot" does not necessarily imply one who operates an aircraft. I have a pilot in my gas stove as well as my hot water heater. I am an FAA licensed commercial pilot with more than 4000 hours in a Marine Corp A1. That said, I still prefer being call "The Duke of Chalfont". I'd like to hear you dos centavos worth on that.

Touche' Duke!

I object to the use of the word "Pilot" in describing those of us who fly Mavic quadcopters, or any Phantom series quadcopters.

Most of us have nothing near a "pilots" training and some of us simply hope to pass the Part 107 exam.

At best, we are "drone operators" who post videos on youtube.

My two centavos...

When one passes the Part 107 exam, and you get your license from the FAA, you are indeed a pilot.

"A pilot or aviator is a person who controls the flight of an aircraft by operating its directional flight controls"

That Wikipedia article has a specific section about drones further down.

Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs, also known as "drones") operate without a pilot on-board and are classed into two categories: autonomous aircraft that operate without active human control during flight and remotely piloted UAVs which are operated remotely by one or more persons. The person controlling a remotely piloted UAV may be referred to as its pilot or operator. Depending on the sophistication and use of the UAV, pilots/operators of UAVs may require certification or training, but are generally not subject to the licensing/certification requirements of pilots of manned aircraft.

Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs, also known as "drones") operate without a pilot on-board and are classed into two categories: autonomous aircraft that operate without active human control during flight and remotely piloted UAVs which are operated remotely by one or more persons. The person controlling a remotely piloted UAV may be referred to as its pilot or operator. Depending on the sophistication and use of the UAV, pilots/operators of UAVs may require certification or training, but are generally not subject to the licensing/certification requirements of pilots of manned aircraft.

I figured those who were interested would indeed read the Wikipedia and I was proven correct! :)

Im a pilot in the eyes of Wikipedia. Now that is not really worth 2 cents.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
In my mind, it's all about how the term is used.

I'm an actual pilot in that I have, on occasion, been known to operate a single engine aircraft. It doesn't bother me when drone operators call themselves pilots unless it's in a super douchey way.

Take, for instance, the goober in a leisure suit at the bar trying to pick up women by overstating his sick piloting skills because he has a couple hours of stick time on his nephew's Bebop. I might kick that guy off his barstool whereas I would more than likely give an approving nod to many of you guys upon overhearing a reference to "mavicpilots" or hearing you bench-flying with a buddy. But maybe that's just me.

Totally agree with the above sentiments! I dont walk around all puff chested with a pair of Top Gun Aviator sunglasses and tell people I'm a douchey pilot. Instead if the topic of hobbies comes up I ask "Do you want to see some really interesting aerial shots"

i don't even tell people I own drones. Too many haters .. I take my videos standing on Ladders

Reactions: Slantnose79
See, like this guy...anyone who would purchase and install this is not doing any of us any favors.

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.631441505_jqjv.jpg
    il_fullxfull.631441505_jqjv.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 65
In my mind, it's all about how the term is used.

I'm an actual pilot in that I have, on occasion, been known to operate a single engine aircraft. It doesn't bother me when drone operators call themselves pilots unless it's in a super douchey way.

Take, for instance, the goober in a leisure suit at the bar trying to pick up women by overstating his sick piloting skills because he has a couple hours of stick time on his nephew's Bebop. I might kick that guy off his barstool whereas I would more than likely give an approving nod to many of you guys upon overhearing a reference to "mavicpilots" or hearing you bench-flying with a buddy. But maybe that's just me.

I think we should all just enjoy it in our own ways. They can't help they are like that just like we can't help they annoy us but we all live here together so we might as well just try to focus on the good stuff like being behind the controller of a Mavic.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Slayerstwin

Not to thread-jack, but Wikipedia? Seriously? I used to think that site was neutral, but after doing a little research on how edits are policed/controlled by not-so-neutral entities, well... That's the last place I'd cite if I was after any credibility... Here's a primer (go to 3min 55sec for Wikipedia specific info - though the whole thing is interesting). Though, if you don't want to poison your view of the site, I'd say don't watch.

That said, I'm not picking a side on pilot vs. operator. I use them interchangeably when posting so I don't use the same words in every sentence.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki