DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What became of the FAA's Proposal to Allow Flight at Night and Over People?

Hurricane Eye

Reactions
Since I'm still relatively new to the drone industry, I'm just now finding out about the FAA's early 2019 proposal (Docket #FAA-2018-1087) that was intended to allow drone flights at night and over people, with conditions of course. Comments were to be submitted by April 15th of last year. Can any of my more learned colleagues offer a synopsis of what happened with this proposal?

Since I'm still relatively new to the drone industry, I'm just now finding out about the FAA's early 2019 proposal (Docket #FAA-2018-1087) that was intended to allow drone flights at night and over people, with conditions of course. Comments were to be submitted by April 15th of last year. Can any of my more learned colleagues offer a synopsis of what happened with this proposal?
Final Rule shows Disposition Pending Due Dec 1st 2020, don't hold your breath. ;)

Reactions: Hurricane Eye
Final Rule shows Disposition Pending Due Dec 1st 2020, don't hold your breath. ;)
Thanks for the info @Repaid1! I was thinking it must have been shot down if it hadn't been approved by now, but knowing how much things have slowed down to to Covid, it's not surprising. What seems surprising is the lack of chatter about it on these forums, or am I missing something? Any opinions or intel on whether the proposal will be approved?

Thanks for the info @Repaid1! I was thinking it must have been shot down if it hadn't been approved by now, but knowing how much things have slowed down to to Covid, it's not surprising. What seems surprising is the lack of chatter about it on these forums, or am I missing something? Any opinions or intel on whether the proposal will be approved?
Looking, about 900 submitted to the cause... not a big turn out...but better than nothing. I rarely fly 107 at night anyway..so I just fly at night on the other side of the equation (Recreational) not a big deal for me, but if you don't want to file for the waiver and all that entails then this could be a good thing if they lax the restrictions a bit. ;)

That’s interesting I hadn’t heard about it until you just mentioned it

Still waiting for them to act on it. The same proposal also suggested allowing Part 107 pilots to just take a free refresher test online instead of needing to visit a testing center every 2 years and paying $150.

These rules will be announced this month.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet