DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is DJI doing? GO4 issues..

• Thread starter Deleted member 94307
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94307

I was flying yesterday to take pictures/video of our school building for a end of the year video. I am part 107. The GO 4 app. Told me I was within 5 miles of an airport and I needed to unlock it. Problem was it didn’t give me that option until after I took off and was hovering .. another issue is that AirMap says I am not within 5 miles. Then my picture disappeared ? Finally I was able to unlock the app somehow get video back and fly. Later that day I was within 5 miles of another class g airport (much busier one) and no warning or unlocking.

I called DJI but couldn’t understand what the rep. Told me to do. Is there a way to avoid this for those of us who have certification?

Last weekend the GO4 app said we were in Newark air space while AirMap said that was not the case but it didn’t require us to unlock anything. There are some really wacky things going on.

Is there a way to avoid this for part 107 pilots?

Is it still legal to fly at night under recreational rules?

I have never asked the DJI app for permission to fly in controlled airspace as they aren’t done with getting FAA approval to do so (this could happen by Sept or Oct - note that approval by FAA Means they have started their evaluation period ). The DJI NFZ maps are way different than anyone else’s.
I use AirMap for approval as it is fully approved by FAA and get clearance in one step, usually in 2-3 seconds. I have never had anything more than an an altitude restroom to 300’.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I only use AirMap. But Go4 would only let me hover and then required unlocking? I was more than five miles from the class g airport according to AirMap .. plus class g doesn’t require authorization for part 107.. I wasted battery and time trying to figure out what was going on.

I’m trying to use their unlock system now on the computer and just unlock all areas I fly in.

KittyHawk is the FAA sanctioned App vendor for LAANC. If the airport's on the LAANCE list you can get authorization on your phone.

Reactions: Thomas B
KittyHawk is the FAA sanctioned App vendor for LAANC. If the airport's on the LAANCE list you can get authorization on your phone.
As does AirMap and others. BTW you don’t have to get LAANC clearance on a device you’re flying with. B4UFly is the FAA app that Kittyhawk is rewriting at FAA request... it was very old. Still waiting on the new version.
Here’ a list of FAA approved LAANC providers;

LAANC approval and unlocking DJI geofencing are separate issues and steps. Anyone can self-unlock most NFZ areas in Go if the area is not red. However at minimum you have to tick a few boxes acknowledging external authorization and taking full responsibility. You may also have to authenticate by text or credit card.

Reactions: Thomas B
LAANC approval and unlocking DJI geofencing are separate issues and steps. Anyone can self-unlock most NFZ areas in Go if the area is not red. However at minimum you have to tick a few boxes acknowledging external authorization and taking full responsibility. You may also have to authenticate by text or credit card.
True... and while DJI is “approved”, please note that this means the DJI app has entered the 8 month approval process FAA has set up. Final approval for DJI software won’t come before Sept or Oct of 2019. No CC for AirMap.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet