DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's this fuzziness and how can I solve it

siwady

Reactions
Sorry noob question, but what is this fuzziness on top of the vineyards (upper right corner) and how can I solve it in the settings and fix it in final cut pro. This is happening with all my videos and tried several different setting. What are the ideal setting to avoid this.

Thanks

I'm guessing you're running in auto mode for your camera. Try manual mode. Keep your ISO at 100 and your shutter speed adjusted to double of what you're filming at. Buy ND filters to keep your shutter speed at the proper setting. Also for sunny days put the white balance on sunny not auto. Also enable histogram and keep the peak or mountain toward the center for optimal exposure monitoring while using the histogram. Use the proper ND filter to keep that exposure correct on that histogram. ND 8 lense filter for partly sunny days or ND16 filter for bright sunny days is usually good enough. I hope this helps you.

I'm guessing you're running in auto mode for your camera. Try manual mode. Keep your ISO at 100 and your shutter speed adjusted to double of what you're filming at. Buy ND filters to keep your shutter speed at the proper setting. Also for sunny days put the white balance on sunny not auto. Also enable histogram and keep the peak or mountain toward the center for optimal exposure monitoring while using the histogram. Use the proper ND filter to keep that exposure correct on that histogram. ND 8 lense filter for partly sunny days or ND16 filter for bright sunny days is usually good enough. I hope this helps you.
Thanks a lot! I was using ND16 and white balance set to how the weather is (sunny/cloudy etc..), ISO was around 160 and I kept trying to adjust it using the dial, but all my videos are appearing like that, some much worse than others. Is there a way to fix this using FCPX, I have a lot of footage with same issue and I cannot retake them as they are part of a trip.

What's this fuzziness and how can I solve it?

Puberty - it's completely normal.

(sorry - had to get that thought out of my head)
Ha ha! I mentioned I'm still a noob ... What do you call it then?

You got the clear protective lens on there
If not. Then get a filter kit
I already have the filters kit ... I had the ND 16 on the it while shooting this video, also tried the CP filter and it gave me a really dark area in my footage.

Can someone tell me if there's a way to fix it using any editing software?

Thanks

Are you recording in 48 or 60fps? I see a lot of aliasing going on in that video. You should only use 30 or 24 FPS with the Mavic sensor limitations which result in aliasing when recording above 30 FPS. Additionally, is this video copied from the phone/tablet controller device, or off the microsd card of the Mavic? I'm suspicious because it is showing 720P resolution which is the same as cached video on the controller. You should be reviewing the video on the microsd card from the Mavic which has a much higher resolution and quality. It seems dumb of me to ask this, but the video doesn't looks like what you should be getting from the Mavic directly.

Perhaps we're not getting a good representation of what you're seeing with the horrible youtube compression. In that case you might grab some frames from the video or take some pictures.

Are you recording in 48 or 60fps? I see a lot of aliasing going on in that video. You should only use 30 or 24 FPS with the Mavic sensor limitations which result in aliasing when recording above 30 FPS. Additionally, is this video copied from the phone/tablet controller device, or off the microsd card of the Mavic? I'm suspicious because it is showing 720P resolution which is the same as cached video on the controller. You should be reviewing the video on the microsd card from the Mavic which has a much higher resolution and quality. It seems dumb of me to ask this, but the video doesn't looks like what you should be getting from the Mavic directly.

Perhaps we're not getting a good representation of what you're seeing with the horrible youtube compression. In that case you might grab some frames from the video or take some pictures.
Video was shot at 4K 30fps, and the video on YouTube is probably in 720p but it's still there on the original file copied from the SD to MacBook.

I will share another video tomorrow but the video I shared shows the same issue

It's pretty bad aliasing/moiré in that clip.
You might try reducing sharpness and contrast a notch in style settings.
When editing it will be much reduced if you add a slight gaussian blur.
In some software e.g. premiere you can also reduce sharpening a couple of points and after rendering it still looks plenty sharp enough.

Some subjects are just always going to do it if lighting is encouraging it.
You often see it on tiled roofs and some building cladding

Reactions: geigy
I'm still new to the Mavic and video issues/editing but I noticed if I watch the original raw video from the Mavic on my 4K monitor it looks perfect. If I watch the same video on a 1080 display I get effects just like in your video. Did you look at the original 4K video on a 4K display?

One of my first videos I shot was a building that had a lot a vertical and horizontal lines. It looks amazing on the 4K display, looks all messed up on the 1080p display, looks like it's shot in super low resolution. Odd but maybe that is your issue too?

I hope you can figure it out, good luck!

OK before I try again ... Do you think these settings will fix the problem

2.7K 30fps
WB - Sunny (it's sunny today)
-2 -1 1
ND16 filter

Anything else I need to consider before trying again?

OK before I try again ... Do you think these settings will fix the problem

2.7K 30fps
WB - Sunny (it's sunny today)
-2 -1 1
ND16 filter

Anything else I need to consider before trying again?

-2 sharpness is too much in my opinion. That's how I got blurry / watercolor looking videos.

I know this thread is a bit stale. But even -1 might give you some grief, try 0 or +1. The difference going from -1 to +1 for me was huge. I didn't actually test 0 though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan