DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why does this clip look like garbage, what did I do wrong?

nickelphoto

Reactions
Shot for the first time today, so I am definitely green, but I really thought I had everything set up well. Not sure if this is just out of focus? (I did touch focus on the rider on a previous run).

All of my footage looks this bad, why?

I did bounce around on settings a bit, but this clip is 1080p 96 fps. Shutter was 1/200, ISO 100.

moto.mov (90MB)
https://app.box.com/s/9u4sfco6le9gv5h6m0d2eeciu30qompm

also, here are a couple of photos taken a few mins prior (color corrected in lightroom)

5OdKm6g.jpg)
5OdKm6g.jpg

mzzoVBv.jpg

This may sound like a dumb question, but are you getting your footage from the device you're using or directly from the card?

This may sound like a dumb question, but are you getting your footage from the device you're using or directly from the card?

This clip is off the card. It wasn't crisp on my phone screen either, should it be? I assumed it was because the streaming quality to the phone is more compressed.

And you have removed any protective plastic on the camera? If so, there is something wrong.
Have you done a full calibration of everything (quad, camera, tx) and have it on the latest firmware?

For those who didn't download the movie, here is a screenshot from my Mac... it is bad

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 10.34.39 PM✨.png

Reactions: Michael Gilbert
That's what mine looks like at 1080p as well. 2.7k and 4K look fine.
I recently got mine but flying has been a challenge as we just got a foot and a half of snow and the wind won't quit!
I have only tried 4K so I honestly can't say if the 1080 is that bad on the Mavic. That isn't even SD quality. :eek:

I recently got mine but flying has been a challenge as we just got a foot and a half of snow and the wind won't quit!
I have only tried 4K so I honestly can't say if the 1080 is that bad on the Mavic. That isn't even SD quality. :eek:

Yep, it's awful. I used to record most everything in 720 or 1080 with my P3P and it was fine. But with the Mavic, anything below 2.7k really just looks terrible.

I disagree with ya on that . 1080 is what I use and looks fine . Now I have only went out about 4 times but it looks ok to me .
I just have to learn the camera settings .

I disagree with ya on that . 1080 is what I use and looks fine . Now I have only went out about 4 times but it looks ok to me .
I just have to learn the camera settings .

I'd love to find a way to make 1080 look good with mine, but I haven't been able to. It always looks overly compressed and seriously lacking resolution. Very similar to the OP's clip.

Well like I said I have only had mine out 4 times on runs and use 1080 96fps and have everything in auto and mine looked fine .
Now all I can deal with is 1080 on this PC at the moment and need something else but I'm happy with it .
The 1080 not the PC :mad:

Well like I said I have only had mine out 4 times on runs and use 1080 96fps and have everything in auto and mine looked fine .
Now all I can deal with is 1080 on this PC at the moment and need something else but I'm happy with it .
The 1080 not the PC :mad:
Don't have a
apple-computers-macs-hit-by-massive-virus-attack-april-5-2012.jpg
Bro!

Reactions: dirkclod
Why not shoot in the higher resolutions and then reencode at a lower bit rate to allow for easier streaming / viewing on popular services like Youtube or Vimeo?

Why not shoot in the higher resolutions and then reencode at a lower bit rate to allow for easier streaming / viewing on popular services like Youtube or Vimeo?

I wanted the 60/96 FPS so I could ramp the action in slow-mo. Also, working with 1080 files on my PC seems easier so far.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Sweet shot, but it does look like crap. I haven't tried 1080p yet due to the multitude of threads saying how it's looks like crap. If someone is getting good slow motion footage with the mavic I would love to see it

1080 is fine as long as you don't exceed 30fps. The high frame rate modes are useless for video production on the Mavic unless you can cope with the aliasing.

What your clip shows is the unrelated "pastel" effect though, which I've seen on some clips including a couple of mine. I never had it before the latest firmware, but the first flights I did with it are also the first on which I put ND filters and the first where I used different picture styles so I have no idea which caused the issue yet since the crap weather has prevented me from doing any testing.
I have a feeling it could be noise reduction kicking in anytime ISO is higher than 100, which can happen even when ISO is forced to 100 on certain picture styles.
All the best footage I have was taken in None.

Last edited:
It's funny becasue I've pointed it out several times when seeing it on other people's content yet nobody has ever reacted to it nor seemed interested in investigating that unlike some other characteristics/issues that are less important but caused endless discussions and noise o_O

Note I've made edits and added details to the post above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31