DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is the FAA Part 107 license minimum age 16?

jaysmithtechtv

Reactions
Hey guys,
I'm 15, I want to get a Part 107 License and I found out that the minimum age is 16. Can anyone give me a good reason for why that is?

Reactions: DBnFL
I can understand your frustration. I have met people your age that have a lot more common sense then people twice your age. I can't tell you why it is that way, the same reason I can't tell you why some states make you wait until your 18 to get a drivers license for a car.

I know, but I want a reason, an explanation. And a good one too.

I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to give you a "good" explanation, but I can tell you that the FAA in the NPRM for Part 107 originally proposed the minimum age requirement be 17 years old (which is the same age requirement for getting a Private Pilot certificate). The FAA later settled on 16 in the final rule, which is also the minimum age required to get a Glider certificate.

Reactions: bumper
I know, but I want a reason, an explanation. And a good one too.
Not sure why anyone is even answering you with your attitude. It says 16 and that’s what it is.
This is why we have this in our TOS.
. If you are older than 13 but less than 18 years of age, you may only use the Websites under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.
Try not to be so demanding.
dc

Not sure why anyone is even answering you with your attitude. It says 16 and that’s what it is.
This is why we have this in our TOS.

Try not to be so demanding.
dc

I think generically it's not unreasonable to question certain age limits, but there has to be context. And clearly there needs to be a minimum age for some things, so simply demanding to know why it is XX is certainly rather pointless without reference to other, similar limits or activities. In this case the comparison to other related age limits, such as driving a car, is not going to help the OP's argument.

My suspicion is you won’t be met with any explanation here that you consider “a good one”.

The reality is you are lucky the bar is set at 16.

Less than 18 years of age generally provides the subject person is considered a child- generally lacking life experience and social skills, particularly good judgement. That is likely the reason for setting a minimum age for licensing.

Reactions: Camino Ken
I think generically it's not unreasonable to question certain age limits, but there has to be context. And clearly there needs to be a minimum age for some things, so simply demanding to know why it is XX is certainly rather pointless without reference to other, similar limits or activities. In this case the comparison to other related age limits, such as driving a car, is not going to help the OP's argument.
Not unreasonably but the manner he said it was rude.
You know how I feel about that.?

Of course there is no good reason. The drone regs havebeen through so many filters that you will never know.
I hate that the FAA, who literally protects lives in a competent manner, has been assigned to babysit drone pilots.
If you are under 16, just fly recreational, but be aware that you are still subject to normal liability our normal laws establish.
Congress forgot that. They tried to double up on how to make things safe, but liability is the chief law.

The reason I'm asking the question is not just because I want to. Today, I got a learners permit to drive a car. A car is way more dangerous than a drone, and the Part 107 License is NOT about flying drones, it is about selling whatever photos or video content that you take. A 13yr old can legally fly a drone so long as they don't sell the content that they capture. That's what I don't understand. And

And @dirkclod, I didn't see anything rude about my question, but sorry about the misunderstanding anyway.

There is no sound logic to this. You are just getting a taste of "government must have an answer", which will not end well.

The reason I'm asking the question is not just because I want to. Today, I got a learners permit to drive a car. A car is way more dangerous than a drone, and the Part 107 License is NOT about flying drones, it is about selling whatever photos or video content that you take. A 13yr old can legally fly a drone so long as they don't sell the content that they capture. That's what I don't understand. And
  1. A learner's permit doesn't permit you to drive alone.
  2. The age limit is not 15 everywhere.
  3. Part 107 is about flying drones - it covers all non-recreational use of drones. It's not about selling anything.
  4. Recreational flying is only exempt from Part 107 because Congress got in the way of consistent, sensible legislation.

Reactions: dawgpilot
So you're saying that you think that anyone under the age of 16 should not be allowed to fly drones or a drone?

The answer is simple, you need a decent baseline for minimum age and 16 is the most reasonable choice. In the wrong, immature hands, a consumer UAS can cause harm, which happens to be most kids your age. You demonstrate your immaturity by posting the question instead of just being patient and waiting a measly year.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk, just giving you honest, uncut feedback. Good luck next year on your test.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
The answer is simple, you need a decent baseline for minimum age and 16 is the most reasonable choice. In the wrong, immature hands, a consumer UAS can cause harm, which happens to be most kids your age. You demonstrate your immaturity by posting the question instead of just being patient and waiting a measly year.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk, just giving you honest, uncut feedback. Good luck next year on your test.
I am amazed at how seemingly everyone is interpreting my question incorrectly. I, along with everyone else who is under the age of 16, am going to wait until then to get the license. I am not a politician, I am not a rule maker. But I just can't seem to figure out why you guys are responding negatively. I tried to word my question politely while getting the point across and all I've gotten back basically is "you're immature" "people your age should not be flying drones." Why is everyone answering rudely? I just asked a simple question. If you don't have an answer that doesn't mean that you have to leave an insult.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon