DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wing Gets FAA approval

.... and what is the process when they are flying down the street trying to read house numbers?
... and what about the inevitable, even if uncommon, loss of control or crash? Oops, just happened to be mowing my yard with my robot lawnmower...

I would think the house numbers are converted to exact gps coordinates rather than using a camera. Also the delivery bag is lowered on a 15-20 foot cord by the drone operator so it never actually lands.

The drone appears never to actually land in the demo video but rather lowers its cargo via a remotely activated cord then waits for someone to unload the bag. Then it retracts the cord and flys away so there's no danger of anyone getting hurt on the ground. But what if no one comes outside to detach the bag? Is the drone able to remotely release the bag so it falls to the ground and the dog can take it away? All of this is cool but the complications seem to outweigh flying something 2-4 miles vs just using a ground delivery service. Do I have to tip the drone?
Does the drone ring the doorbell. If I don’t answer do I get a smashed hamburger?

Reactions: MavicMikeK
I would think the house numbers are converted to exact gps coordinates rather than using a camera. Also the delivery bag is lowered on a 15-20 foot cord by the drone operator so it never actually lands.
Not at my front door trees and porch won’t permit it... guess it drops the cargo in my yard for dogs or whatever.
Does it stay in the carrier, is there a deposit. Rain delivery?

The drone appears never to actually land in the demo video but rather lowers its cargo via a remotely activated cord then waits for someone to unload the bag. Then it retracts the cord and flys away so there's no danger of anyone getting hurt on the ground. But what if no one comes outside to detach the bag? Is the drone able to remotely release the bag so it falls to the ground and the dog can take it away? All of this is cool but the complications seem to outweigh flying something 2-4 miles vs just using a ground delivery service. Do I have to tip the drone?
What if it snags your puppy dog!

Reactions: MavicMikeK
My little 6 lb chihuahua is scared of drones, she hates the propeller noise. I imagine a lot of large dogs might go for the bag like a Frisbee toy and be able to bring down the drone if there were no emergency safety cord release provisions on the drone side. Lots of possibilities for problems that's for sure.

Understand now... agree of course.

Still wondering about children playing in my yardand/or riding bicycles, pets, ducks, horses, etc... and how delivery can be accurate without endangering them. Live on a 1/2 mile long private road with over 15 children ages 4-8 yrs old. Hard enough to train them to watch out for cars
That’s easy move off the half mile road. Lol just kidding.

Your right going to be interesting , to see this play out. I personally don’t want to see it. But that is because I love to fly my drones.

Reactions: Thomas B
This not a good thing for recreational flyers. Read the whole article.

The pilots won’t have to use VLOS or altitude limitations. FAA has changed the rules for this.
-My suggestion, as parochial as it may be:

Write Amazon. Refuse drone delivery.
My house is in an NFZ for 2 airports anyway.

-Write FAA and contend that all pilots need instrument ratings as they are beyond VLOS ... and that drones used need instant and constant 360 degree visual capability visible to pilots at all times since they are going to fly on to my porch. I don’t want my pets, horses, ducks or grandchildren at risk.

-If they get hung in my 100 ft trees trees I’ll refuse access to the property, but I’ll remove it just like I do kites, etc... yes I know about big bucks that got this “service” approved but if it gets too onerous maybe it will die a natural death.

-Might also help if no drone related equipment was not purchased, and nothing else either, by those owning drones... and tell Amazon why. Plus copy your emails to Google, eBay, and anyone else you can think of. That’s the only way for us to speak with dollars.

-Enlist the local delivery drivers help. The ones this will unemploy.
I know it’s a rant..., but if I can’t fly in my yard VLOS, why should I support others to do the same.
Totally agree. I keep hearing people saying that hobbyist that ignore the rules are our biggest threat to drone pilots. I personally think big business is our biggest threat. These drones will be flying out of line of site in our present airspace and big business will push us out.

The person at the address of whom it was delivered receives it.

Unordered Merchandise

Q. Am I obligated to return or pay for merchandise I never ordered?

A. No. If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.
Not under these circumstances.If you get merchandise that no one ordered but the company sent you can.Check this-https://www2.bostonglobe.com/opinion/letters/2019/04/21/delivery-wrong-house-and-other-wrongs/uO6EEDKReYTO0fjnpEvGJK/story.html

Not under these circumstances.If you get merchandise that no one ordered but the company sent you can.Check this-https://www2.bostonglobe.com/opinion/letters/2019/04/21/delivery-wrong-house-and-other-wrongs/uO6EEDKReYTO0fjnpEvGJK/story.html
I don't know if you read that carefully but that was not articles, they were opinion letters.

The story is very much different if you care to research. He ordered the TV and then claimed when they initially sent the wrong one that he could keep them both. In fact, they contacted him numerous times and he refused. This was not a matter of wrong address or that the person didn't order it. He did. They sent people to pick up the wrong item, as many times a company will do when something is not right.

Recently, I had ordered an iPhone for a foreign exchange student that was living with us several months ago. The package said it was delivered. I was only about 2 minutes from my house (4 blocks). I went to get it because it didn't require a signature and I didn't want it sitting on my porch.
I get there and there was no package - less than 15 minutes from the time the notification came.
I contacted FedEx immediately. They said it would take 24 hours to do an investigation and they would get back with me. I've been waiting months and they still have not gotten back with me. The incompetence of FedEx floors me at times--and not just their drivers.

So, I contacted Apple immediately after FedEx. Within minutes they had another order put in. The new iPhone was here the next day. Exchange student was happy.
Guess what? An elderly neighbor called to my work (we live in a small town) from her work and said there was a package in the bushes next to her front porch she saw when she was taking out the trash. She went to get it, thinking it was just more trash, and found that it was an unopened box with my address on it.

The package was from Apple delivered 5 houses down from mine. The person could have kept it. She gave it to me. I contacted Apple again. The person said I could send it back and they would send labels. I told her we don't have FedEx dropoff in our county anywhere and she said they would email me UPS labels in a few days. I still haven't received them (from february). The package is still unopened and just sitting here..waiting.

I believe you need to communicate with the system via app, that you are standing ready to receive payload, only then is it lowered. If no response, it will loiter for minimum time and then return.

And what if there is some sort of equipment failure as you stand underneath it and get hit as it falls 20ft onto you? There are plenty of possibilities for things to go wrong and hit someone on the ground. What if you are driving down the road and the thing went out of control and crashed through your windscreen? Just some things that could possibly go wrong, but you can't say no one will get hurt.

Last edited:
If you tip the drone, the engines stop :)

Reactions: Pietros
Those wing drones are quite noisy from what I've read, quite high pitched and annoyed the residents in Canberra to the point where they've made complaints and petitions etc

As much as I love the hobby, they've gotta do something about the noise for it to succeed.

The noise is incredible!
One concern is the size of the drone. Sooner or later on is going down, it happens eventually. This a large object to fall from the sky on a car or person.

Boy oh boy. Just wait until Christmas Time
It will eventually happen because trains are doing it now and cars are would still a few bugs to work out hello. Are aligners today essentially do it now anyway and the pilots I'm in the cockpit to either manually fly it or deviate what is put into the flight management system for IFR flight plans. The psychological hurdle would be with passengers flying in a pilotless airliner. Your thoughts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078