DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

01/09/17 anyone been effected?

Wow yes I never thought of that one, good catch!
What happens when you buy one a week from now and it won't start. Is a total newbie going to have to tackle a firmware update during the first hour of ownership?
That's a lot of burden to put on the customer.

Rob

Wait! Isn't one of the basic steps you do when you take your new drone out of the box after your charge all the batteries is update?? Sorry but that is on the check list of things you need to do. So I don't feel anything for new spark owners a week from now....

Reactions: Kilrah
It's a non-issue, everyone (99%+) will just update as told, won't even know there was a restriction.

Is a total newbie going to have to tackle a firmware update during the first hour of ownership?
That's already standard procedure.

For the record, still no lock as of now.

Am I the only one that had my drone locked by firmware on fw 550? It was while I was in China tho so maybe that was the cause

turn on mavic and rear light stayed solid red, even when not connected to rc

China has had stricter restrictions introduced than anywhere else so most likely related.

Wow yes I never thought of that one, good catch!
What happens when you buy one a week from now and it won't start. Is a total newbie going to have to tackle a firmware update during the first hour of ownership?

Rob

Anyone who can't do a FW update probably shouldn't be allowed to use anything more technical than a knife and fork.

Last edited:
Yeah, due to a battery problem causing some Sparks to fly out of the air (never a pretty site), DJI grounded the Spark with a 129 error until operators downloaded the 90MB file and updated each battery to be used (4-5 minute operation) before allowing takeoff.

Wait! Isn't one of the basic steps you do when you take your new drone out of the box after your charge all the batteries is update?? Sorry but that is on the check list of things you need to do. So I don't feel anything for new spark owners a week from now....

No not for me.
I always try the item out first and make sure it works before I do a firmware update. I have never bought an item that did not work straight out of the box because of firmware issues, so why mess with it and possibly brick it before I even tried it. I also read up and see if the update being offered is beneficial or creats new problems.

Come on folks how many times have you updated a piece of software and then wished you had not. If I had a choice I would love to remove the last 6 updates that they have sent my Directv DVR. All it does is add more fluff and slows down the important stuff like the time it takes to change channels! A 5 second wait for a channel change IMO is not acceptable.

Rob

Reactions: Nightowl702
And yes DJI bricked all the Sparks that did not update.

Rob

Earlier before the spark I mentioned in a post that I'd never update from where it (my Mavic Pro) came factory and ran beautifully! I'd gotten so much crap for saying that.!! People didn't understand DJI FROM which I'd had previous dealings with. Well it seems history vindicated what I was trying to get across. IF IT WORKS THEN DONT MESS IT UP!!!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs