DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1 battery dedicated for pre flight prep?

I have both the M2P and Z. I have 10 batteries what are your thoughts on dedicating 1 battery to the fre flight camera, Gimble, and other misc. adjustments in order to maximize flight time. I’m thinking it sounds like a good idea.
It’s what I do when a long flight (time wise) is planned.

I have one that started to swell when hot so just use it for updating or needing to power up to check settings. If I was you with that many I would find the oldest or one that had the most usage and mark it to do what you want.
So yes it is a good idea.

I have one that started to swell when hot so just use it for updating or needing to power up to check settings. If I was you with that many I would find the oldest or one that had the most usage and mark it to do what you want.
So yes it is a good idea.
i don’t think its wise to use a battery that has any swelling after watching a video of dji batteries catching fire. once upon a time i use to keep a slightly swollen battery around just to calibrate or for camera settings but after watching a video on this site of batteries going up in flames i will not risk it.

i don’t think its wise to use a battery that has any swelling after watching a video of dji batteries catching fire. once upon a time i use to keep a slightly swollen battery around just to calibrate or for camera settings but after watching a video on this site of batteries going up in flames i will not risk it.
Might not be wise but is what I do . Ive seen all the videos and know the risk but is what I have done as far back as the P2 batterys . Now if the battery is swelled to a point to where
i can see it when it’s cold I do dispose of those.
My bad for not stating that.

It’s interesting that I just noticed this yesterday. After flying, one of my batteries seemed very slightly swollen, barely noticeable, but if you held at just the right angle to see the flat bottom I could tell. This is the first time it happened, or more likely, the first time I noticed in a year of flying. So I put the battery aside and flew with my second of three and that was fine, along with my third. The problem is when I went back to look I could not tell which one it was because the swelling was gone. Unfortunately, I do not have them numbered or marked (I will now) so I could not determine the culprit.

Dirk - Based on your experience you don’t think this is dangerous until they stay swollen when cold, is this right?

Bill - Why do you think it is dangerous? Personal experience?

I don’t Ken but that’s just me. If it looks normal cold I just do as I said. For awhile I would use that particular one when I just needed to go up quick for a shot to save my others for
longer flights. I guess I push my batteries and always have
but these things ain’t cheap and I’m willing to take the chance.

I have both the M2P and Z. I have 10 batteries what are your thoughts on dedicating 1 battery to the fre flight camera, Gimble, and other misc. adjustments in order to maximize flight time. I’m thinking it sounds like a good idea.
Adopt me, and then give some of them to your new son!

• Haha
Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
Adopt me, and then give some of them to your new son!
Truth is I have 2 M2Ps and a zoom. I also am teaching a couple of friends to fly in less of a childish manner than they otherwise would. Also teaching them some videography. I. E. I really don’t have 10 batteries ‘Just lying around’.

Truth is I have 2 M2Ps and a zoom. I also am teaching a couple of friends to fly in less of a childish manner than they otherwise would. Also teaching them some videography. I. E. I really don’t have 10 batteries ‘Just lying around’.
Okay, I am declaring my self-emancipation! :mad:

All LiPO batteries have a permissible amount of swelling in service. The cell manufacturers will often quote the permissible expansion in the specs.

From the many reported observations most of the M2 packs that have swelling are also said to have substantially similar electrical performance to when new

To suspect they might catch fire would seem an overreaction.

What seems probable is that the M2 battery case, in some circumstances, doesn’t have enough head room. A well designed product must allow a certain % of extra space to allow for cell expansion.

I tested and compared flight hover time between my 1yr old swollen battery to a new one I bought. Maybe 2 min difference.
Swelling is small enough for ground work or cautious low altitude/distance flight but I won't fully trust it.

I just checked my M2P battery compartment and it seems like the bottom has some give to it. It is not much, actually barely noticeable, but seems like enough to accommodate the small amount I swelling I noticed on one of my batteries. My concern would be if the swelling was enough to overpower the battery latches causing the battery to dislodge during flight. Still not sure if I will trust it in flight.

I just checked my M2P battery compartment and it seems like the bottom has some give to it. It is not much, actually barely noticeable, but seems like enough to accommodate the small amount I swelling I noticed on one of my batteries. My concern would be if the swelling was enough to overpower the battery latches causing the battery to dislodge during flight. Still not sure if I will trust it in flight.
Note that swelling evident at rest will increase with use of said battery during flight. Batteries are cheap relative to drones.

Note that swelling evident at rest will increase with use of said battery during flight. Batteries are cheap relative to drones.
My battery is perfectly fine with no evidence of swelling when at rest. I noticed the minor selling immediately after I took it out after a flight.

My battery is perfectly fine with no evidence of swelling when at rest. I noticed the minor selling immediately after I took it out after a flight.
It will increase almost certainly. I have had one battery fail that had no swelling I noticed before TO... but the cell failure was rapid and my controller indicated a decrease in flight time remains to have dropped from full charge to less than 30 seconds within 1 min of TO. Fortunately I was still close the home point.
Just be alert to sudden changes.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Wi
It will increase almost certainly. I have had one battery fail that had no swelling I noticed before TO... but the cell failure was rapid and my controller indicated a decrease in flight time remains to have dropped from full charge to less than 30 seconds within 1 min of TO. Fortunately I was still close the home point.
Just be alert to sudden changes.
Will do!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot