DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 1 After-Market Extra-Capacity Battery. Has anyone tried it yet?

Conservative Nihilist

Reactions
A recurrent complaint voiced by Mavic Air 1 owners is that the stock OEM flight battery with a stated capacity of 2375 mAh, rated for 21 minutes of flight time according to DJI's typically optimistic spec sheets, in truth rarely keeps the drone aloft for more than 13 to 15 minutes before battery levels depleted to below 15% necessitating immediate landing.

As an owner of two Mavic Air 1 drones who yearns for more flight time, I today stumbled on an after-market third-party battery for the Mavic Air 1 on sale at the Ali Express website, with a beefed-up output of 3580mAh, that purports to extend the flight time of a MavicAir 1 from the standard 14 minutes to a new longer duration of 25 minutes. After-market DJI drone batteries from Ali Express have proved themselves to be reliable and capable of making possible significantly longer flight times.

Recently, by way of example, I bought a $75 extra capacity battery for my Mavic 1 Pro which increased its maximum attainable round-trip distance from 6 miles with the stock DJI battery, to an amazing 13.46 miles with the Ali Express steroid-beefed battery. This superb performance recorded with an Ali Express super battery does make the appearance on the same website of a similarly modified battery for the Mavic Air 1 a very tempting purchase indeed. Below is the link to this Mavic Air 1 battery that promises to breathe new life into the venerable Mavic Air 1 by greatly extending its range during both manual flight and waypoint missions.

I would be very interested to hear from any other Mavic 1 Air owners who have already purchased this newly available extra-range battery, to get an idea of whether this non-DJI battery lives up to the flight time increase claim made by its seller on Ali Express. I would also be curious to learn whether this longer-range battery is durable and not prone to spontaneous in-flight failure that could lead to a drone's outright loss. Any news at all on this new and promising extra range battery would be enormously appreciated by this fellow Mavic Air 1 owner. Thanks in advance.

That would be useful indeed! I take it you haven't had any problems with the similar M1P battery you mention? Do you have a direct link on AE? I find I do most of my flying with the M1P and use the Air 1 when I ride my bike as I can fit it in my satchel.

The extra capacity batteries I bought from Ali Express for my Mavic 1 Pro have been phenomenal. I highly recommend them as they more than DOUBLE the distance the M1P can travel round-trip on a single battery charge. During flight tests, I observed no signs of abnormal heating of the motors or battery contacts, all of which were just mildly warm after the drone landed from trips covering well over 12 miles.

Best of all the extra capacity Mavic Pro batteries are CHEAPER than the original standard DJI batteries which only offer HALF the flight duration of the Ali Express after-market battery shown in the link below and costing just $74 each.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...a!US!2927385440!AB&curPageLogUid=Eiycl2ROjJWg

If you own a Mavic 2 Pro, Ali Express also offers a super battery for that model although that battery runs at a higher price of $207 each, as shown in the below link.

I must add that I am NOT affiliated with Ali Express in any way and I do NOT receive any form of commission to reward my recommending their after-market batteries the Mavic 1 Pro, the Mavic 2 Pro, and the Mavic Air 1. I am simply delighted with the range boost I saw using the Ali Express batteries I bought for my Mavic 1 Pro and my Mavic 2 Pro, which leads me to conclude that the Mavic Air 1 extra range battery is likely to be of a comparably high manufacturing quality and performance reliability.

I just pushed the button on that battery.. I have ordered from Ali Express before and had very good results. I will return to this thread when it comes.

Flying at 27 mph which is possible with all anti-collision sensors fully calibrated but switched OFF, a Mavic 1 Air should theoretically be able to cover well over six miles round trip on a single battery charge, over 21 minutes flight duration, with this extra capacity battery installed.

I'm curious to hear how many minutes these Ali Express Mavic 1 Air 3580 mAh super batteries will last before dropping down to 20% of their full charge, bearing in mind that the stock Mavic Air 1 battery is rated at 2375 mAh and is depleted to 20% charge after just 15 minutes of flight.

Last edited:
The extra capacity batteries I bought from Ali Express for my Mavic 1 Pro have been phenomenal. I highly recommend them as they more than DOUBLE the distance the M1P can travel round-trip on a single battery charge. During flight tests, I observed no signs of abnormal heating of the motors or battery contacts, all of which were just mildly warm after the drone landed from trips covering well over 12 miles.

Best of all the extra capacity Mavic Pro batteries are CHEAPER than the original standard DJI batteries which only offer HALF the flight duration of the Ali Express after-market battery shown in the link below and costing just $74 each.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804687665541.html?algo_pvid=683a43f4-8875-41f1-a070-e539a9efbd97&algo_exp_id=683a43f4-8875-41f1-a070-e539a9efbd97-3&pdp_npi=4@dis!USD!147.98!73.99!!!147.98!!@2103228817039399236751867e81c9!12000030842857538!sea!US!2927385440!AB&curPageLogUid=Eiycl2ROjJWg

If you own a Mavic 2 Pro, Ali Express also offers a super battery for that model although that battery runs at a higher price of $207 each, as shown in the below link.

I must add that I am NOT affiliated with Ali Express in any way and I do NOT receive any form of commission to reward my recommending their after-market batteries the Mavic 1 Pro, the Mavic 2 Pro, and the Mavic Air 1. I am simply delighted with the range boost I saw using the Ali Express batteries I bought for my Mavic 1 Pro and my Mavic 2 Pro, which leads me to conclude that the Mavic Air 1 extra range battery is likely to be of a comparably high manufacturing quality and performance reliability.
Thanks for the additional details. Thé M1P battery link doesn’t work for me though, was it cut maybe? I found a 6830mAh selling for 92€ that looks pretty bulky.

Reactions: Lonnie harris
In my opinion any aftermarket battery from AliExpress is like playing Russian Roulette with your drone (or any other product). Never know where those come from or anything about quality control. Only takes one to overheat mid-air and bye bye drone. I also own two of the MA1 drones. You can still order the OEM battery from DJI which I just did. I don't mind rotating batteries and if I need more flight time I'll switch to my MA2s

If you have the battery killer program that is used to wake up the BMS on the battery's . I've just bought the raw cells and swapped out the higher cells with the lower cells in the OEMs less than 30.00 i have what they want 100 for.oh and a saudering iron is needed as well

In my opinion any aftermarket battery from AliExpress is like playing Russian Roulette with your drone (or any other product). Never know where those come from or anything about quality control. Only takes one to overheat mid-air and bye bye drone. I also own two of the MA1 drones. You can still order the OEM battery from DJI which I just did. I don't mind rotating batteries and if I need more flight time I'll switch to my MA2s
You have expressed a valid concern because the eBay and Amazon marketplace is flooded with after-market drone batteries that are notoriously unreliable and have been known to lose power abruptly while the drone is in flight. The Ali Express extra-capacity batteries for DJI drones are apparently of a reasonably dependable design, and they first came to my attention in the Mavic 1 Pro section of this forum, where users of the battery went into considerable depth testing the durability and reliability of the extra range batteries on offer for the Mavic 1 Pro. One of those users is a gentleman living in Ukraine, who is pleased with the performance of the batteries for his battle-tested Mavic Pro 1, which is eloquent testimony about the superior build quality of those attractively priced batteries,

Bearing in mind that the glowing reviews are specific to Ali Express batteries for the Mavic 1 Pro and Pro Platinum family of DJI drones, it is by no means assured that the extra-range battery on offer by the same vendor for the Mavic Air 1 will be from the same manufacturer, or even offer a comparable level of reliability, but that said, individual Mavic Air drone owners will eventually get around to trying the Ali Express battery tailored for their model drone, before hopefully posting some feedback on their findings in this section of the Mavic Pilots forum.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804687665541.html?algo_pvid=683a43f4-8875-41f1-a070-e539a9efbd97&algo_exp_id=683a43f4-8875-41f1-a070-e539a9efbd97-3&pdp_npi=4@dis!USD!147.98!73.99!!!147.98!!@2103228817039399236751867e81c9!12000030842857538!sea!US!2927385440!AB&curPageLogUid=Eiycl2ROjJWg

Sadly this item can't be viewed in Europe...using a VPN to get a connection in Turkey I was able to view it but that doesn't help with shipping. Can't remember a similar case on AE where you couldn't even view an item, generally AE sellers are happy to see you anything they have ;-)

Sadly this item can't be viewed in Europe...using a VPN to get a connection in Turkey I was able to view it but that doesn't help with shipping. Can't remember a similar case on AE where you couldn't even view an item, generally AE sellers are happy to see you anything they have ;-)
It is rather baffling that Ali Express is making it so difficult for buyers in the EU to look over their online inventory. If Ali Express is also reluctant to ship to the EU for any reason, one could of course enlist a friend in the USA or Canada to take the delivery and forward the package. This may have been the option selected by the warrior in Ukraine who gives these long-range batteries a thumbs-up. Despite the inconvenience of resorting to such a tedious shipping process, these batteries are well worth the trouble as they will likely more than DOUBLE the range of our lowly first-generation Mavic Air 1.

On a tangentially related note, a perusal of the specification sheet for the new Mavic Air 3 reveals that just like the Mavic Air 1, the Mavic Air 3 is shipped with a lackluster battery that makes possible a brief flight duration of 21 minutes, under the usual unattainable ideal conditions, which probably means that the Mavic Air 3, just like its ancestor the stock Mavic Air 1, can only stay aloft for a piddling 15 minutes. One would have expected DJI to design a new generation Mavic Air 3 with a more robust battery capable of powering flight times in the 30 to 45-minute range, as is the case with the new Mini Pro 4 and the Mavic 3 family of drones. Anyway, that's a wrap for my usual rant of the day.

So did you ever get that battery? The Air 1 is never going to beat flight time records but the extra flight could come in handy from time to time.

So did you ever get that battery? The Air 1 is never going to beat flight time records but the extra flight could come in handy from time to time.
It is paid for and still has not arrived.. Hawaii is notoriously complicated for Chinese things to get to. I'm confident that the allixpres people will make good on it, but I am disappointed at this time.

Reactions: webvan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas